Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering arm bolts hitting spindle before tight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattsbidnuz, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Mattsbidnuz

Mattsbidnuz

Got a question for the forum. I am running a dropped Ford I-beam axle and 37-49 Ford spindles (not exactly sure of the year span, but know it starts with 1937). I am wondering if there are special bolts to install the steering arms? I am having an issue with the bolt heads hitting the spindle before i can get the bolt tight to the steering arm. Anyone having this issue or know something i don't? I will try and supply pictures soon.

2. Belle53

Belle53

are you talking about the steering arms with blind holes? allen head capscrews

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screw the bolts into the steering arm finger tight until they bottom out and measure the distance between the head and the arm. Measure and subtract the thickness of the lock washer, backing plate and spindle from that and see how much too long they are. Buy new bolts that are just enough shorter so that they don't bottom out.

I

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Or shorten to one thread clearence..:)

5. I've delt with this issue as well. I have seen to short of bolt length pull out of the arms taking the threads with them. I decided to go a little different direction. I used #8 socket head set screws that thread all the way in the arm boss and use Locktight there. Then take a Tall Nut of same thread and turn a shoulder on one end just the depth of the raised shoulder on the spindle and again Locktight. I've had no more issues.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I think he said the heads were hitting the spindle before they were seated. That raised portion, inside of where the backing plate usually sits?

If you have nothing to take up that space (backing plate, disc bracket), then use a washer. Usually an AN washer will have a smaller OD to fit in here.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

P&J makes a special button head bolt for blind hole steering arms with the head turned down slightly to clear the spindle I have used and sold many sets of these on customer chassis.