Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine oil synthetic VS conventional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andy198712, Jul 5, 2020.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

ditto

firstinsteele likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

I don't use "cheap" oil as their additive package doesn't contain a high level of Zinc and Phosphorous (ZDDP).

Not saying I'm right or anyone else is wrong. Thats just what I choose do. To each his own.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, yes it does....despite what the fancy brochures say.

firstinsteele and Blues4U like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats great. Thanks for the heads up. Your a grown man and your intitled to make what ever decision suits your needs.

5. squirrel

squirrel

You too.

I like to base my decisions on facts, though.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Forbes, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over what engine oil to use. That was not my intent. The entire discussion was supposed to be synthetic vs. conventional and not which oil was better. I simply stated that I used Royal Purple engine oil and never said it was better then "cheap" oil or any other oil. Sorry if I made a choice which was different then yours. Many others also posted on what oil they were using and don't recall anyone saying one brand was better then others. It was never part of the discussion.

Frankly I don't undersand why your making an issue over something so insignificant and certainly nothing to get confrontational over.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. It's actually from one of Sigmund Freud's personality types; the anal retentive type.

I think old Sigmund would have enjoyed analysing people's strong feelings towards the type of engine oil they choose. :)

sf.jpg

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

I believe your right old Sigmund would have enjoyed the response. Engine oil means nothing to me its just something you need. I never expected it would invoc such emotion.

9. BINGO!!!! Really doesn't matter what oil you use. REALLY matters that you change it religiously.

Driver50x, Truck64 and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. Does piss have zinc?:p

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, yes urine does contain zinc. However I would not recommend it as a lubricant. I think some of us have been shut in too long!

12. I think the feather ruffling came about because your first post kinda implied that all the good things Royal Purple say about themselves are 100% true/valid etc. and good reason to use their product. This may not have been exactly what you meant, but most people don't believe everything a company says about itself, hence the response.

Texas57 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Before I change the oil in something new to me, I Google and see what other guys run in the same engine. That's it. I run synthetic in my pickup because the previous owner never ran anything else, and so I stick with it in that. My little suv I run regular ol oil, and it's got over 200k on it. Don't even know in my flattie, haven't changed it yet. My boats are all different. The woody has to have non detergent, etc, etc. Nautique needs special oil too.

I find the statement 'I've used 'x' product for 'x' amount of years, not one issue...' kind of funny. I don't think many oil choices are going to lead to failure. I've had major engine failures in years past and didn't think to myself "it's that damn oil, that's what it is..."

Same with an oil 'guarantee'. What does that even mean? They're going to cover repair costs or something in the event of a failure? I wouldn't hold my breath.... Lol.

G-son likes this.
  14. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

Probably. There’s high zinc content in hot peppers and oysters. Puts led in your pencil ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. leon bee

leon bee

Remember, everyone, the contraction for you are is you're.

X38 likes this.
  16. fordor41

fordor41

actually I believe the lawsuit was because they were selling oil that was from outdated
    formulas, not intended for any cars later than 30-40's.

17. I just thought it may end this pissing contest!:rolleyes: Guess not!:oops:

18. Retrorod

Retrorod

We have Mobil 1 in everything including the lawn mower. The 8BA in the wife's roadster has been happy for many years and 20,000 miles, my '35 late model has been happy for 20 years and 40,000 miles. Our new car daily driver was built with synthetic in it. I just built a L31 350 for my grandson's Datsun truck...also on Mobil 1. Good stuff.

partssaloon and Gman0046 like this.
  19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I used to really care about what oil I used, then I realized that I was wiping that care up off the garage floor since the car leaks and burns so much of it. Now I use Walmart SuperTech with a basic ZDDP additive for my flat tappet engines. I figure that even the cheapest oil now is light years ahead of the garbage they had years ago.

In my daily, I'll use Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline... whatever is on sale. And I get 200K+ out of those engines. I think using a quality filter and changing the oil frequently is the key to success. The best oil in the world isn't going to provide good protection if it's filthy.

20. I had an "off topic" daily driver that I used the cheapest oil I could find along with Fram filters when they were on sale. it only lasted 435,000 miles and it was an oil related failure that did it in.
    The wife brought home some 20-50 oil in the fall and as I knew it would be too thick for the winter, I used it anyway. one very cold morning I started it up and it never pumped oil up to the camshaft, the cam locked up and broke the timing belt.

21. fortynut

fortynut

I think it disingenuous to imply, or even state blatantly, that there is no remarked difference between synthetic oils and those that are petroleum distillates. As one poster already said, the demanding environment of jet airplanes created the need for a change in how lubricants were formulated. This advancement, of course, parallels the development in the previous era when engines of planes that flew faster and higher required dramatic changes in the fuels they used. Just as the motoring public benefited from the higher octane fuels that resulted from the solution of this issue, so too have we come to enjoy the synthetic oil that by its very nature is superior to those it supersedes. This is fact, not an opinion.
    I remember reading Ryan's reminiscence on buying a watch from a celebrity car figure that turned out to be a piece of crap. So too the advertising gimmicks of using successful race car figures to sell oil products. We all are subject to being misled. The media is full of false promises paid for to sell, baby, sell. If we want to know something of value regarding the physical properties of anything used in an engine, the scientific method is the only logical means to determine it. I mean really and truly did I have to say this?
    Also, as I heard early in life, if you have a race horse you feed him like one. High performance engines require a superior oiling system that includes an oil whose properties are suitable for the job, a high quality filter, and possibly a cooler.
    More than anything else that pertains to hot rods, and I have been in love with this sport since I was still in grade school, you have to also be passionate about the details, go the extra step and read what the tech gurus write, absorb knowledge and use it. Not just be a zombie and live on opinions. All of it matters, that's what separates the winners from the losers, the sheep from the goats.
    And, yeah. I use Mobil One because you can buy it at Wally World. It is superior to the oils that I used before that took the zinc out and caused one of my engines to crap out. I was pretty much sleep walking at the time, so I take the blame for that.
    By the way, I had a 403 Olds engine in a Mid-Seventies GMC pickup, once. It was quick and scary fast for something street driven. I pulled a trailer loaded with an Early-Sixties T-Bird a hundred miles an hour for five or six miles to convince a client that we needed to renegotiate our deal. It would gone further but he came to see my point of view. I did love that engine. Good rockin' with yours!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Gman0046 and dirty old man like this.
  22. Somebody ought to start a thread about this. :D

Baumi, metlmunchr, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

motor oil is motor oil

24. My experience is that engine oil quality is usually in inverse proportion to the amount of TV advertising they do.... Especially if it's also discounted to promote sales.

I will admit that Royal Purple does make some products that do seem to live up to their claims. On some shaft-drive motorcycles I used to ride, their synthetic gear lube reduced final drive temps after long runs from too-hot-to-touch down to just warm. But I also found out that synthetic oil doesn't always play nice with wet clutches either...

25. Best yet!:p:p:p

Ben

26. This is what my dad would do back in the days when oil was sold in quart cans. The makers would stamp all the certification acronyms into the flat can top, so wherever my dad happened to be shopping for oil, he would just look for whichever can had the longest list of acronyms. As I recall, there didn't seem to be any direct correlation between the longest list and the highest price. Sometimes the winner that met his criteria was a bargain-priced oil.

27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

ALL oils are petroleum distillates , you can't make something from nothing !" Synthetics "are simply refined further than mineral oil .

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

First off, I am an independent Amsoil dealer, but I signed on as a dealer after some fairly extensive use of their products as a customer. During those years it became apparent to me that these were products that lived up to their claims in their ads and brochures. I'm not gonna sit here and type out pertinent examples of results with my 2 finger hunt and peck technique, as I'm firmly convinced that the "flat earth society" types who insist there's no difference between petroleum based oils and the chemically blended contents of quality synthetic oils "just refined a little more" according to these Luddites, wouldn't bother to read it anyway. Yes, good results can often be gotten from good quality petro oils with careful attention to drain/refill intervals, etc, but there is a BIG difference.
    If your attention span permits, go back to post #12 by BlUES4U, who is a certified lubrication engineer, who knows whereof he speaks.

29. Darryl Deir, Chavezk21, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thank you so much for your sarcasm , condescension ,and name calling , truly the sign of elevated intelligence & a truly beneficial member of society
    !

Special Ed and K13 like this.