Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Machining Buick Drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by magnus13, Jul 8, 2020.

1. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

I'm working on the Buick drum conversion. Everything I've read says any brake shop can cut the relief on the back groove.

I'm in south orange country, ca and have contacted roughly 15 brake shops, automotive machine shops, and trailer repair shops and none can turn this drum. Most places don't do drums and a couple that have the equipment say their tool can't get into that groove.

I also tried a traditional machinist who tried machining of the whole lip before I caught it (only got about 1/8" into it) but wanted $300+ for the job.

What it's so hard about doing this? Can anyone in OC ore southern California recommend someone who has done this or has the equipment? Or do you have an engine lathe big enough to turn them that I could but some of your time?

Thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

I'm half a country away, but can't someone like Eric Vaughn or Cooks Machine do this? They've been doing hot rod machine work for many decades.

Cyclone Kevin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

There are ford drums that have some hubs inside and some outside...
    my buddy does these finned buick conversions ... he only uses the outies... I think it keeps the machining down... PM me for his phone #...
    hope it helps...

4. Belle53

Belle53

for $400 i will sell you an old brake lathe that will do that job. it's a Barrett from the 40's , it's good condition and will also do a great job cutting the surface for the brake shoe. you also get an Ammco brake shoe arching machine

getting it from the Midwest to California is up to you. you could go into business to pay for it and make a few extra $$$

Budget36, kidcampbell71 and magnus13 like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done dozens of Buick drum to early Ford and Lincoln brake conversions over the years and my machine shop has always charged 100.00 to do the job. I do furnish him with a backing plate mounted on a spindle so he can gauge how much to cut the drum. I do always use the 46-48 outside mount hubs.

kidcampbell71 and big duece like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Damn I can not remember name of shop. But they are out in your area. They do vintage brake work.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I just used the Buick backing plates. Buick with Buick is very compatible and you get BENDIX brakes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might give these guys a call:
    Early V8 Garage
    (626) 338-2282
    1217 N. Azusa Canyon Road,

West Covina, CA 91790-1004
    http://www.earlyv8garage.net/

kidcampbell71 and magnus13 like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just remember how I learned of them. Give Nick of Chopit Kustom a call (714) 226-0860 and ask for brake shop that works on older vehicles.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone with a brake lathe that does disk or drum can cut that groove / trim the back side if they are any good at using the machine. Problem is that a lot of shops won't even turn a drum that you carry in at all any more.
    A lot of shops don't like doing carry in drums or rotors even though it is the easiest money they make all day.
    Others can't think outside of the small box that they live in.
    That job is a simple job when you know what you have to do but it is all hand control work and you can't switch the machine to automatic and let it go.

11. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

Funny, but I actually look at that route. I just don't have room for it. My lathe only swings 12"max.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. the flatlander

the flatlander

I suggest finding a machine shop that is half ass friendly & knowledgeable. I've had dozens done & if done right they clear the backing plate good. Of course it all works better with F2 stuff :) I have a drawing on how much to cut each style of Buick drum if needed. good luck. 336 302 6091

13. Can't trust my brain with my Patrsheimer's but I am pretty sure my tire Bakersfield shop honed my finned aluminum Buick drums for not much money a few years ago. I am surprised you are having that problem.

14. fortynut

fortynut

I know everyone has a way of doing things, so take my advice with a grain of salt because on first blush it may not taste like that given by others. Eric Vaughn only does machining on rod related projects --- because he is one of the best there is. With advice from a structural engineer, he machined the molds for the aluminum Halibrand style rims he sold as Real Wheels. That deal was sold and is now Real Hot Rod Wheels, as I understand. At one time he was called The Wheel Doctor and probably still works his magic bringing back from disaster whatever you can imagine that has tires. At one time he was known to punch a few louvers. My advice is to run down his phone number, call him and ask when he's going to be at his shop in Monrovia and go there with your stuff. Maybe he'll take it in and do the work, and then again maybe not. But, and this is where my advice will pay off, you get to see him and where he performs his magic. You can then hang out a few minutes and ask questions about this and that, see stuff he's working on and if he won't do the job, and if you ask him politely he can tell you who will. I agree this all takes time but I won't bore you with the number of legends I met during my stay in SoCal using this same method. As in all quests the results differed and some were more forthcoming than others but, none of them ran me off, more especially because I was willing to spend money for their services. And, trust me, you will gain the kind of knowledge that only comes from having a one on one with people who know their stuff. Much will depend on you, and your view of the world. With the Covid Plague on us, it may be different. The fact is though, it won't hurt to remember what I've said in the future. Thanks for reading this, good luck, and I hope I've given you, and anyone else who reads this, the encouragement to go places and meet people who are the backbone of that gray area often referred to as 'farming things out' that we lack the skill sets, knowledge, and or, technology to accomplish ourselves.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one regular brake shop wants to do it because it isn't a standard procedure and they are afraid of liability issues. The other things is that too many "Techs" aren't very good at thinking out of the box that they place themselves in.

This is Gashog's photo from a thread he did in 2006 here https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/buick-brake-drum-tech.122603/

Very honestly it would probably take longer to set up the drum lathe to make the cuts than actually do four drums. The other issue is that it is all manual operation and no hook it up, flip the switch and walk off and leave it. That and you may have to make several small cuts to take the necessary metal. out. drumMods.jpg

To get someone with a brake lathe to do it you are probably going to have to find a back alley garage that has a brake lathe.