Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Even a blind owl can stumble on a rebuilt 331

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jul 4, 2020.

1. IMG_20200704_093714.jpg IMG_20200704_075412.jpg IMG_20200704_075403.jpg IMG_20200704_074959.jpg IMG_20200704_075001.jpg IMG_20200704_073253.jpg IMG_20200704_093659.jpg I found myself looking through the usual places on the internet for parts,found a rebuilt 331 caddy for sale in so Cal..
    I didn't call right away,I waited a few days.
    I finally called and the gentleman said he still had it and I could come get it,as far as he knew,the caddy was rebuilt along the Hydramatic.
    Hell I cranked some numbers,I sold a bunch of other parts told him I'd be there Saturday (today)
    He said to call him Friday so he could give me an address.
    I called him yesterday and he didn't answer,left a voicemail and went to bed..
    I got up at 3am.hit the road,sold some doors to a guy on the side of the freeway at 4am.
    Kept on driving
    .I knew it was a small town in the Forrest so maybe I could find the guy by asking around...

I got to the small town in the middle of the forest and didn't have signal..

Pulled over in an overview,found signal and gave him a call..
    "I'm 10 minutes away"
    He said great,gave me an address, directions and I took off . thankfully I got signal and made it there..
    I opened the Caddy and it looks rebuilt,fresh oil,clean shiny on the inside...

We talked and he said he had a couple of projects..

A 32 3 window that he found a mile down the road in a state sale..all complete...he has a beautiful flathead in there,couple of Model A trucks stockers,diamond T truck, mid50s caddy convertible etc...
    I'm glad I filled my instinct and started driving,it has happened that I call and the seller doesn't answer...
    It was an excellent trip and met a great car guy...I hope to visit him in the future..
    He also sold me a 38 ford coe grille and surround..
    I'm a happy camper..
    Plans for the 331?
    Put a beer on it and brag that I have a rebuilt 331 for now

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats. I want to hang around you and pick up the crumbs.:p

3. b
    I'm the one picking up every one else's scraps man

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That cabover grille with the emblem is awesome! What a find. You don't seem so blind to me.

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. Dude,that grill is soooo straight...but the real treasure was finding and talking to that man... he's a gem hidden in the forest..

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Welcome to the sickness.

greener200 likes this.
  7. Cool story. Love the Cad

Deuces likes this.
  8. That's the second welcome to the caddy world..
    They are growing on me..

9. That COE grill is very hard to find, especially in such good shape. Many people looking for those for their trucks. Worth big bucks.
    Nice score on the engine and trans.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

10. Hmmm, forest............:)

11. Yessir

I believe it's a 1938 ford coe,it's in amazing shape, straight bars,trim only has a couple of dents,starter hole trim is toast,and a bit of rust on the bottom corner..
    Has radiator shroud I believe.

It was really nice,,80 degrees vs 112 in the desert

12. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

331?

Never mind, I thought you meant Hemi.

Joel W and Deuces like this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Me too! :D

Deuces likes this.
  14. Sadly just a 331 caddy

Deuces likes this.
  15. Nothing wrong with a 331 Caddy! Especially if dressed for a night out.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Digging that shopping cart engine stand.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Well I got that Edmunds 2x2 and moon VC...
    Do u recon it would do it justice?
    IMG_20200510_115810.jpg

It was free with the purchase of the engine...the wheels started breaking down by the time I rolled it inside the shed

61cad, Barrelnose pickup and warbird1 like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You’re luckier than I am. I found a transmission I needed on marketplace, sent a message, told guy I wanted it but would be Sat before I could get there, this was on Tue. I messaged him on Fri, told him I’d be there Sat, just tell me what time and give me directions . He told me to call him on Sat, gave me a number, said around 4 PM. I started out from home, got within 30 minutes of him, called, no answer, so kept going. Stopped 15 mins later, still no answer, so went on into the town he lived in. Called him from 3:30 until 4:30 , jerk never answered , texted, still no answer. I went back home empty handed. Jerk never returned my me texts or calls. Piss on him. Jerk had probably done sold it and didn’t have the decency to tell me.

19. that has only happened to me once,i think the ahole was wasting my time..
    I got lucky this time,I drove 500+ miles and came back with a smile in my face

High test 63 and Cosmo49 like this.
  20. How much does a poor bastard es expected to pay for an edelbrock 4x2 with carbs for a 331 nowadays?

Deuces likes this.
  21. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've got a spare 49 hydro that works if your interested in another for free. Can't seem to give it away and don't feel like I should scrap it yet because I drove the car it was in and it works great. Sweet score on the Cadillac and the hop up parts!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Joel W

Joel W

23. Its really tempting

24. I made a trade today and ended up with a 6x2 intake with carbs and bought a 4x2 a few months ago...
    Also bought a valley cover from a guy on Instagram.
    20210904_135552.jpg 20210904_135403.jpg

25. indyjps

indyjps

You're hustling around and the one finding deals, or at least the parts you need.
    Keep contact info on all those you meet, never know where the next parts find will be.

I had a big network built up 20 years ago on muscle car stuff, but have moved a few times, they probably have the same parts sitting, most guys were at least 5 projects deep.