Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recall of the Replacement Recalled Jack Stands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    To the Harbor Freight Community:

I'm writing to apologize. I often reach out to tell you about Harbor Freight's commitment to quality and all the investments we've made to deliver quality tools at the lowest prices. Your trust matters deeply to me and I'm proud of how far we've come. So when we have a product recall, it hurts.

A few months ago, we recalled our Pittsburgh 3 ton and 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 61196 and 61197) due to a manufacturer's defect. We asked customers to return them and receive a gift card that could be used to purchase replacement jack stands. I felt terrible about that recall because you should never have a concern about the safety of any of our products.

Today, I feel even worse. I'm disappointed and embarrassed because we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn't discovered during the initial recall investigation. If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit (see details here).

We have investigated all of our other Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56371, 56372 and 57308) as well as the Pittsburgh 6 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56368, 56369 and 56370) and Pittsburgh 12 ton steel jack stands (SKUs 56374 and 56375) and did not find the defect. Although none of these other jack stands are being recalled, if you own any of them and have any concern whatsoever, please bring them back and we'll give you a full cash refund or store credit for those as well.

I want to apologize to all of our customers. While we've dramatically grown our team of engineers and inspectors, and intensified our tests and inspections, I assure you that the lessons learned from this will drive further improvement.

As the owner and founder of Harbor Freight, I want you to know that we stand behind every product we sell and that safety will always be our top priority.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]
    Eric Smidt
    Owner and Founder
    Harbor Freight Tools

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

These things should be put through a test before being put on the market.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd read about the problems the jack stands were having, the recall and refunds. Then, on another site, someone posted images of the 'replacements" they got, and the first time they were used they SPLIT right down the center of the support, not the cast center extension the recall was based on. I'd said this once before; I bought some jack stands with built in hydraulic bottle jacks, and once they get to the height you want/need, there's a pin than gets inserted so they can't lower down until the pin is removed. Pretty safe I think. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

4. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I got that email too. Then I saw someone on Craigslist selling 4 HF jack stands for $80.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully someone local is giving them away. I'll weld 'em up good and use 'em.

Cosmo49 and Tman like this.
  6. This kind of shit is why I'm hesitating to buy a floor jack from HF.

7. can you post a pic?

sounds like the cats ass right there !!!

we don’t have harbour freight up here but we do have princess auto, I believe same difference. Cost effective off shore product.

Thank you Ernie for posting this on a car website for all to see.
    To often companies try to hide there faults and mistakes.

good on ya!

my dad loved your stores when him and my mom snow bird in Florida .

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My only complaint is that they still don't have the replacement 6 ton stands in stock, Must have had a helluva lot of them to replace,
    Got a fairly involved job coming up on my roadster fairly soon and it's either get those replacement stands or use the pair from back in the 50's made from cut off Ford banjo rear housings.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

10. HF jack stands are like buying factory-second condoms...

TagMan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.