Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pappy and Sons 30 model A build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LedSled97, Jul 6, 2020.

1. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

This project has been ongoing for the last 5 years every summer between my years in college. I'm just now getting the chance to write up a build thread on it. This is a first time project for both of us, although my grandfather has years of experience working on heavy and agricultural equipment as well as fabrication, and I have a few years under my belt of the same as well. So bear with me and enjoy the story.

In 2015 around the time I graduated high school, my grandfather and I threw around the idea of working on one of the many old cars he had lying around. He had recently purchased a 1930 model A coupe a few years before and he had always wanted an open wheel car so we chose it.

Here's a picture when he bought it.
    IMG_0370.JPG
    She's a little rough, but she mostly all there.

camcrusher and 35cab like this.
  2. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

The first thing we decided to do was chop it down. Looking back now it probably wasn't the best thing to start first thing on, but it turned out pretty good. I wanted to chop it 3 in, my grandpa wanted 2 , so we met in the middle and chose 2.5.

Here's a few pics of laying it out. Keep in mind we had no idea what we were doing. Pretty much just shot from the hip on this one. The wood is to keep a straight line.
    IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG

3. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

And here's after the cut.
    IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0654.JPG
    We also removed the fenders and running boards.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

too late now...
    the quarter window tapers narrower as it flows downward...
    take a small carpenter's square and a section of small square tubing cut to the length of your desired chop... tape it to the vertical of the square...
    with the beltlines level set the tubing edge level against the rear edge of the quarter window...
    mark the body where both ends of the square tube touch the body...
    this will ensure the window is the same length F to R when you set the top back on the body...
    done this a dozen times... works well...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020

5. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Appreciate the tip! Will keep it in mind for the next one i do.

would've definitely done it different if i could do it over, but it still turned out good in my opinion. More pics coming soon

6. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

After welding.
    IMG_0653.JPG

7. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Next we wanted something to place the body on after removing it from the chassis, so we built our own rotisserie.
    Then removed the body and rolled the chassis out of the way.
    IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG

66fora69er and roll of the dices like this.
  8. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Then we discovered just how bad of shape it was actually in.
    Frame was solid, but the sub-frame was completely shot and someone got ahold of it with a welder after hitting the pipe. Several bolt were welded in to fill gaps and the welds in general looked like someone vomited molten metal all over them. bottom 3-6 inches of the body was rusted out all the way around, as usual. IMG_0464.JPEG

9. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

At this point we started deciding on the details of the build and how we wanted it.
    Frame: Ditch the model A frame for 32 rails.
    Rearend: Quickchange
    Front end: dropped I beam axle
    Engine: Flathead V8

Next step was to remove the body from the sub-frame and give it a look over to see if it was salvageable.
    IMG_0466.JPEG

It was too bent up rotted out and ruined by bad repairs to save it, so we decided to fabricate our own from tubing.

IMG_0482.JPEG
    IMG_0485.JPEG
    IMG_0488.JPEG
    IMG_0507.JPEG
    IMG_0527.JPEG

Got it all painted up after test fitting it without the doors on. Then realized we forgot to notch out for the doors. So we went back and welded in some angle iron.

IMG_0531.JPEG

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

no automobile manufacturer ever thought the extra weight of square tubing was necessary

11. greener200

greener200

Fuckin A ! upload_2019-8-26_11-33-59.png

LedSled97 likes this.
  12. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

It’s thin gauge it’s not that heavy. Not too worried about what automobile manufacturers do. After all they are trying to build as cheap as they can get by with and still be reliable. The extra pounds won’t hurt it’s not a drag car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. grdra1

grdra1

Awesome so far, love it. Glen

LedSled97 likes this.
  14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... manufacturers used channel as it used less steel, but it also flexes much more than tube...
    the 2 bolt under the cowl are tightened to adjust the rear of the door gap... [tighten them, check the gaps, then shim the bolts to get your rear gaps right]...

15. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Next we started cutting out all the rust and welding in the patch panels. All the lower quarter patch panels were purchased, but the rest we shaped ourselves.

The nasty stuff on the metal is a rust preventative.

IMG_0553.JPEG
    IMG_0567.JPEG
    IMG_0582.JPEG
    IMG_0585.JPEG
    IMG_0586.JPEG
    IMG_0589.JPEG
    IMG_0976.JPEG

16. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

In the summer of 2015 I went to the street rod nationals for the first time, and I've been back every year since. Our original plan was to find a good flathead block and build the motor ourselves. At the show we ended up finding a complete engine setup exactly how we wanted at the swap meet. The guy who built it had been building flatheads his whole life and according to him this was the last one he built. he was somewhere in his late 70s to 80s and had gotten down with some health issues. I believe his name was Daryl. The trailer came with it.

IMG_0719.JPG
    Don't mind the giant junk pile in the back. It's 30 years worth of excavator, tractor, and bulldozer parts.

Here's the specs
    Merc crank
    3/4 race Isky cam
    3 holly 94 carbs
    bored 30 over
    Ross pistons
    Offy heads and intake

Also here's some pics of some cool rides at the show. Circa 2015

IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG

17. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Now onto some more patch panels and getting panels that don't wanna fit into shipshape. Sucks when you buy a panel that's expected to fit and its nowhere close.

Excuse the mess. Work in progress.

Cut out the fender wells. They were all rusted out on the bottom.
    IMG_0610.JPEG
    IMG_0975.JPEG

had to put more curve into the rear panel to make it fit correctly.

IMG_1682.JPEG
    Next moved onto some wood work

Grandfather was a carpenter in his early days so we tackled the wood ourselves. Copied what was left of the original pieces and altered them a little to make them easier to make. May not be up to the par of some, but it'll work for what we are doing.

IMG_0792.JPEG
    IMG_0591.JPEG

35cab, Kiwi 4d and kadillackid like this.
  18. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

It's Chassis time!

I might be jumping around a bit but it's hard to remember exactly what order everything was done in.

Had a chassis delivered to the shop from brookeville roadster. And man is she pretty.
    Awesome guys to work with.

IMG_1723.JPEG

Next step was setting the body on it to line up the frame holes with out body and fabricated sub-frame.

IMG_1730.JPEG
    IMG_1792.JPEG
    Rebel the shop foreman.

Had to slightly move one body mount about a half inch
    IMG_1782.JPEG

Then fabbed up the rear sub-frame now that we could see how the frame layed out.
    IMG_1894.JPEG
    IMG_1895.JPEG
    IMG_1910.JPEG

35cab, Shadow Creek and Mat Thrasher like this.
  19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Two thumbs up for both of you to have the ambition and courage to take the plunge and the nice work so far. I noticed a lot of home engineered and built with "whatever happens to be handy" tooling in the backgrounds. The rotisserie is worthy of a thread of it's own!

Ed

LedSled97 likes this.
  20. sacminiwheels

sacminiwheels

21. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I like the way you are not afraid to just roll up your sleeves and build things yourself. Looking great guys!

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

F A N T A S T I C. Just shows with determination what you can achieve . You guy obviously have some decent skills .
    The coupe looked decent from 20’ , after clean up you must have got a shock that it was bad in all the normal places ,but that did not scare you.

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking like fun!