Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 torque tube rebuild... anyone know offhand what order these parts go in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oilslinger53, Jul 4, 2020.

1. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I made detailed notes, and took pictures of everything taking this car apart... except for this... anyone know off hand what order these things are supposed to be installed? I know the cap on the left is last, but I’m not sure about the two seals, the bearings, and the washers
    I already drove the bearings in, but I think I might have to pull them back out. The breakdown I have isn’t much help...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Bump

3. inthweedz

inthweedz

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Ok, I think I got it figured out here...
    It looks like someone has been into this rear end before. The two black rubber seals are marked completely different. One says “nmb 3699554” the other says “national” and has a completely different number. Looking in my old parts, I don’t see any metal cases seals. I think the green metal cases ones are just the replacement for the original black rubber ones. The breakdown only shows one seal per side.
    What threw me is the difference in thickness. These rubber ones are much thicker than the new green ones.
    Also the washer has wear marks that correspond with the surfaces and gaps on old seals.
    There’s not enough room for both seals, the bearing, and the washer to fit. I think the old seals are aftermarket, and the washers are just spacers you keep everything tightly packed.
    With the new thinner seals, the washers will just be bouncing around in there, and I’m thinking they just don’t get used with the new seal. I could put them inboard if the bearings, but it seems like that would prevent oil from getting to the bearings.
    Does this all make sense?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. inthweedz

inthweedz

cmp330 (2).jpg I have copied the page, and zoomed in on the seal/axle area.. If you want to see the original, click on that web site I posted above, and go to page two, item number 330, there is the full size exploded view of the seal/bearing/retainer etc etc, exactly what you're working on..
    Hope this helps

5window and kidcampbell71 like this.