Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anybody have a '33-'34 PU Cab on a Deuce Frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

Trying to get the '33 cab and Brookville bed set just right on my '32 Brookville chassis. No holes in the frame to reference off of. Chassis has a model A front cross member. Running a '32 commercial shell. I think a '32 hood would be correct fit but really don't have anything to reference off of. Planning to run full fenders so need to get it right. 102_4104.JPG 102_4105.JPG
    Anybody running a similar combo I could maybe get some reference dimensions off of?
    -thanks!

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Good Luck!
    If you haven't already get yourself a Deuce frame diagram with holes measured out, maybe Westcott?
    I would get my running boards located, start at the front sheet metal area and work your way back...………...

olscrounger likes this.
  3. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have the Wescott deuce frame layout. I'm running a '33 cab and the '32 hole locations are not the same. What I really need is the measurements off a '32 hood, then I can position the cab based on hood length.

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I was gonna say position the rear fenders correctly on the bed and put the bed/fenders on and align, centering the fender opening over the rear tires. Those three items need to be centered properly. Then put the cab up to the bed and set the spacing to suit your taste. It should be looking pretty good at that point. If the running boards don’t meet the rear fenders correctly you may have to fudge a little here and a little there to get the best fit.
    You may end up buying a custom hood if you run one but that’s what happens when you mix n match bodies and chassis.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and JNKYARDDOG_1 like this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

By the way, my ‘33 cab on a ‘33 chassis didn’t exactly bolt together well. Almost everything got an “adjustment” to make things look right and there will probably be more at final assembly. But then mine was an old workhorse, who knows what kind of abuse the poor thing has seen.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Dave's confused pickup cab is a 34 sitting on a deuce frame. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  7. pkhammer

pkhammer

8. The cowl on the 32,33 and 34 are all identical, so yes the 32 hood fits as long as you use a 32 radiator shell, you will need to modify and extend the feet on the firewall. HRP

pkhammer likes this.
  9. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yes, a '32 commercial grille shell. At this point the frame has NO holes body mount holes in it so not sure why I'd need to modify/extend the mounting feet on the firewall? Why not just drill where they land or do you mean extend them DOWN to meet the frame? There is a gap there now.

10. Yes sir, that's what we did extended them down to meet the frame by making a filler piece and lowering the bracket. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I don't see a "radius" on the bed sides of your truck or the confused truck to match the fender up to. Makes it a little easier to fudge.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    bchctybob likes this.
  12. The Confused pickup has a home made bed and devoid of any beads or radius in the sides. the fender starts where the running boards end, actually it's rather simple.

The 32 Ford hood is the same for a truck or car and ironically measures 32" from the cowl to the radiator shell.

Both '33 & '34 Ford truck hoods measures 29 7/8" from the cowl to the center of the radiator shell, remember the radiator shell leans back on these years. HRP

13. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

pkhammer likes this.
  14. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yes, that helps a lot! With the radiator/shell mounted I can still tip it fore and aft a little so having the measurements at the belt line and at the bottom of the hood will be valuable getting everything set just right. I would assume I should figure on a little (1/8") hood clearance at the shell and the cowl so maybe add a total of 1/4" to those measurements so set the actual shell-to-cowl distance?

15. pkhammer

pkhammer

I had to tip the top of the grille shell/radiator toward the front and jockey the body around and bit but I was able to get 32 1/4" in the center, 33 7/16" at the beltline and 32 15/16" at the bottom. I added a 1/4" to the above diagram dimensions for 1/8" hood to body and hood to grille shell. I think I'm going to run with that! I've got 1/2" between the back of the cab and front of the bed and the rear tires are within 1/4" or less of being perfectly centered to the embossed sections in the Brookville bed fore and aft.
    I can't think of a better way to get this set accurately.

pprather likes this.
  16. this belongs to a fellow HAMBer, cant remember his user name
    darel odom.jpg

its a former 33 modified to look like a 32.

kidcampbell71, Fern 54 and pkhammer like this.
  17. pkhammer

pkhammer

Thanks for the link but since I'm using a '33 cab, I think few if any of the body mounts are the same as '32.

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Built two 33 cabs on deuce rails with stock 33 firewalls, SBC motors and stock 32 hoods and shells. Worked out fine and they both looked like 32 trucks with the hood closed. Just re-drilled a few holes to make everything fit. Also used stock 32 cab wood blocks.

kidcampbell71 and pkhammer like this.
  19. the measurements are just a reference, compare those against a 33 chassis diagram
    but you will still have to mount the fenders and running boards to finalize it
    33 ford.jpg

pkhammer likes this.
  20. use the front spring mount centerline as a base and measure backwards comparing the 32 and 33 measurements
    could make a nice starting point for the cab.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020