Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions on locking handles, A's, 32 etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Jul 5, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Got a couple questions on the aftermarket locking door handles for those with knowledge.

On my 31 tudor I'm wanting to use the 32 style door handles, preferably the locking style. And before I sit down and order a set in the next couple days I thought I should find out a couple things.

1- the 32 locking handles will fit the 31 tudor if I order the style with the curved base.... Is this correct ? Or bad internet info...

2- do these locking handles actually lock the handle itself and prevent it from turning? Or is there a separate locking mechanism that the handle connects too? If a different mechanism could some one explain?

Thanks gents and I appreciate any info !!

2. Fordors

Fordors

The ‘32 reveal has a different radius at top and bottom, but I do believe the ‘30-‘31 A’s have the same contour.
    The ‘28-‘29 reveal is flat, but even on those one could use ‘32 3 window or ‘33-‘34 handles.
    And yes, it is the handles that are prevented from turning. Aftermarket handles have a long square shank that will have to be cut and fitted to your particular application.

lostone likes this.
  3. 32 had a lock in the right door below the handle

lostone likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks fordors!

That's what I was hoping, that the contours would match or at least close enough to file fit.

325w thanks for the reply. I knew the lock was separate but I want the least amount of hardware on the door.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Lock the door on the drivers side, exit the passenger door, lock with key, failure to do so will result in a major pain in the a$$

lostone likes this.
  6. After market handles can be ordered with key lock on both driver and passenger sides.
    There is no provision to lock doors from inside.

Phil

lostone likes this.
  7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

My 34 Ford locks from the inside just push the door handle forward...Can't be opened from the outside...

lostone likes this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm hooking them up to mini bear claw latches so the latch locking mechanism is separate.

I'm trying to figure out my locking options.

I have a couple ideas in mind for locks
    So if you watch my model A bear claw latch thread I will get into another idea that's beating around in my head.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have Vintique handles on my '32. My doors don't lock from the inside, only with a key from the outside. The key just locks the handle in place, doesn't need to work with any mechanism inside the door. Plenty of length on the square shank to shorten to fit your doors. The rubber pad under the handle will also help take up some of the difference between the door shapes if it's fairly minor.
    SPark

lostone likes this.
  10. mtpocket

mtpocket
    from arizona

I just purchased two outside locking door handles for my 34 coupe. Does anyone know if the passenger side cylinder lock can be rekeyed to match the new handle locks> It seems logical but do not know. Or re key the new handles to match the cylinder lock. Thanks for any info.

lostone likes this.
  11. mtpocket

mtpocket
    from arizona

This is an update to my post. I contacted Chad at Vintique where i purchased my lockable handles. He informed me that the aftermarket handles are not designed to be rekeyed. The handles, the trunk handle and the door cylinder all fall into this category. This is to keep cost down so we can all afford to purchase NOS.

lostone likes this.
  12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

That surprises me. I didn't try disassembling mine but I would have thought you could remove the tumblers BUT they may be cheap enuff that they don't use standard tumbler wafers.

I rekeyed a few locks back in the days managing a dealership body shop and its pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

The 30 Ford door handles with locks I bought sure look like you would have to destroy the handle to remove the lock cylinder to re-key it. It looks like the lock was inserted into the casting then the casting was swegged to to hold the lock in place place, once the sweg on the casting was removed, there would be nothing to keep the lock in place. Gene

lostone likes this.
  14. My Model A handles were keyed differently.
    On my Deuce, the repro handles work with the same key.

lostone likes this.
  15. Does anyone make locking 30/31 Model A Victoria door handles for both the passenger and driver sides? They would look like this:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.04.52 AM.png

16. lostone likes this.
  17. lostone likes this.
  18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I need to get back to working on mine. Too damn cold to work in a shop without heat ! Lol

19. Thanks, but the photos in both of the links appear to be right side only, which I know is available. I'm wondering if anyone makes a locking left side handle as well.

pprather likes this.
  20. I actually took my computer out to the garage to compare the photo to my actual door handles, and it looks like all three you posted are for the left/driver's side, so thank you a ton! Now I need to call a few of those places and see if I can get left and right sides keyed the same.

21. My Vic handles were never keyed the same.
    At one time I had an exploded view of a handle, but I never took the handle off the car to see if my lock shop could rekey it to match other side.
    First step is find a repro locking scroll handle for left side. Good luck.

D-Russ likes this.
  22. Did you find the locking left handle?

Phil

23. Unfortunately, no. I called every Model A parts supplier I could find and they only make the right side handle with a lock. Turns out I have the handles on my car backwards – that's why I got excited when I saw what I thought was a left side locking door handle. At this point my only off-the-shelf option is 32-34 handles, or standard Model A handles. Locking left and right side handles are made for 32-34 Fords, and Standard Model A handles come with right side locks, but the simpler design would allow me to flip a right side handle backwards to use on the left. The key of course would insert upside down, but that wouldn't really matter. If I wanted to potentially waste some money, I could buy two right side handles and take one apart to remove the locking mechanism and try to install it in my left side handle. o_O

pprather likes this.