Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Keith Sweesy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Does anyone know what rear shocks will fit a 59 custom 300? Will the galaxy shocks fit? It’s has factory coil overs but the Viking are over my price range and that’s all I’ve found. Just looking for a decent shock for a wknd driver.

2. NAES

NAES

Easiest thing would be to measure the extended and collapsed length of the suspension measured from center to center of each mounting point (stud, eyelet, etc). Then either Monroe or KYB or similar have a shock chart with the measurements and mounting styles of each.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. If you have coil-assisted shocks, they're not OEM. Possibly a dealer-installed option, but I doubt it. Probably installed to either help with towing or compensate for sagged springs. 'Back in the day' guys would 'flip' the shackles to raise the rear of the car but the springs would then sag sooner or later.

Doing a search for those is interesting. Search 'Fairlane' and you get Galaxie shocks, but they're not specifically listed for the Fairlane. Best info I can find suggests that the Galaxie shock has a stud at the bottom and an eye on top. If that's what you have, then it should fit. All else fails, try these guys... https://www.shocks2springs.com/classic-ford-galaxie-air-shocks-shocks-blog.html They claim they can build what you need on a custom basis or even rebuild yours.

4. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Compression is the more important number, you don't want to bottom out the shock.
    Extension can be shorter than what the suspension actually droops to. And in some cases reducing excess droop can greatly improve ride quality and handling.
    KYB 343219 (59 Galaxie)
    Extended Length (in) 17.4
    Compressed Length (in) 10.31
    Stroke Length (in) 7.09
    If both ends are studs the 343219 model is what you want.
    If one end is an eyelet then KYB 343136 is what you want.

5. I’ve had the car since I was 16, 48 now. It’s always had those coils on it. Must of been added along time ago. Both ends are studs. Thanks guys I’ve looked at these things till my head hurts. The 300 only pulls up front everywhere I’ve searched