Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spending the money building vintage engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 18, 2020.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

On the FE Ford stuff; what's the best way to get into an overdrive automatic that will work with a 400 horse or so FE? Beefed 2004r with adapter? I have had no good experience with 700r4's and the AOD seems weak.

Jeff Norwell and Roothawg like this.
  2. pkhammer

pkhammer

I really dig a vintage Caddy, Nailhead, Rocket, or Hemi engine in a hot rod and that's why I'm building a 331 Cad for my '32 pickup. Ever notice the crowds around these mills at the rod runs? Is there anything that sounds better or draws more attention than a flathead? Yeah, it's worth the extra bucks to build a vintage mill in my opinion if you like being different. The cool factor is off the charts. I also get it why 95% of rodders go with a sbc. Cheap, plentiful, powerful, fits well, and that's fine if you don't mind being-like-everybody-else..................

TheSteamDoc, warbird1, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  3. As Ford never offered any auto overdrive with the FE, whatever you use will need an adaptor. A beefed AOD would be my choice, they're basically a reworked FMX and Ford installed lots of those behind the FE. The aftermarket has addressed the weak points, basically a couple of internal shafts.

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The Southeast Gasser Association give a big weight break to Caddys, Olds, FE engines, Y engines, W engines, Nailheads, etc because we know they are down on power against a Small Block or Big block Chevy. In order to keep from having an all Chevy race we give the breaks to keep the old iron racing so the fans can pull for their favorite old school engine. I personally think the odd engines styles are worth spending the money for the cool factor.

scott27, weps, KiWinUS and 15 others like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Very cool Quain. I love to see that.

Truckdoctor Andy and saltflats like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something about the few old V8s that have only three exhaust ports. Or at least the center two are so close that it looks like only three. The flathead V8, the early Oldsmobile and Cadillac... maybe others?
    I remember when I was just a little kid, ogling one of the first flathead powered hot rods I ever saw in person. I noticed that I was seeing a lot of the red painted engine block. Sometime later... maybe years... I realized why. Fewer primary exhaust pipes and more space between 'em.

It's definitely a vintage look.

That, along with maybe three or six carburetors... a nice old generator...

Desoto291Hemi and Roothawg like this.
  7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have purposely not added up the receipts for my Cad 390 ....But it sure makes me smile when I see it on the stand in the garage:D Root finish up polishing the block and send it off to the machine shop already:)

8. when the major solar flare or EMP hits, we can still cruise our old engines

9. F29B043D-EF8E-4308-9764-1324CBF1846E.jpeg F29B043D-EF8E-4308-9764-1324CBF1846E.jpeg I hear you

10. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

For me it's all about early engines, olds, caddy, studie, even some of the 4 or sixes. So we don't worry about the horsepower, or the money too much....I'm stuck in flathead land, no chevy sounds as cool as a flattie craking early in the day. Motors look great.

11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I rebuilt my yblock years ago and spent plenty AND even made enough mistakes along the way to add additionally to the cost. Now that several years have passed, the money I spent is now forgotten. I have an engine I'm proud of, looks cool, makes 300+ horses and wonderful torque to match. Built an AOD to match the workload and it's awesome. I would to it again without hesitation.[​IMG]

Baumi, 31hotrodguy, 36 ROKIT and 6 others like this.
  12. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

But if you are ugly you better be damned fast.

fordflambe, Roothawg and saltflats like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

The 2x4 is dropped off at the polisher. Even though, I am not sure I will use it. Still on the fence about the 3x2.

31hotrodguy and lumpy 63 like this.
  14. OK asshole, I am now building an OT vintage inline for our Bonneville car. Think Paul Newman. I am a sick person but 700 to 1400 HP got my attention

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good man.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You’re not crazy homie.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. 998B6EDF-6BCD-4895-B247-B8E60043C583.jpeg 9FBDA933-AAB4-457B-AE2B-5133E86EF7B2_1_105_c.jpeg 08DE4A52-B885-4BD9-9892-C2EC0C79EF0D_1_105_c.jpeg 6DE0BACF-CF47-43B5-8BC9-0DEF1811F41E.jpeg 05398DBC-BD78-4DF1-9DCB-1C1AE377E8F7.jpeg IMG_0961.jpeg

clunker and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. Root, I'm with you... My favorite engine has always been the Small Journals (prior to '67)... a '65 327 Small Journal is what I have now in my '64 C-10 truck... and I always seem to spend more $ to put in SS valves and port work on the old Iron-Heads (#462 camel humps I have now) instead of the easy Edelbrock alum. off the shelf heads... Just my preference... I know all the kids go for the LS-3 w/ 22" wheels, and in my opinion, it ruins it...

BigDogSS, 31hotrodguy, Hank37 and 3 others like this.
  19. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

clunker, 31hotrodguy and 36 ROKIT like this.
  20. Just follow the "ABC's"...

21. I do my own porting , polishing , bigger valves, bought the port grinders ,seat enlargement tooling and valve refacer machine . Taught myself by learning from my mistakes . This is how I could afford to modify my 331 Caddy to a 400 incher . Learn how to set up a Hilborn injection and rework carbs. for alky , recurve distributors on my dist. machine . Now nearing 80 and slowing down , it's been a good life !

22. Garpo

Garpo

I guess it is all about what puts a big smile on the face. Nothin like it when a plan comes together.

Desoto291Hemi and Roothawg like this.
  23. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Hank37 I hope you pass on those skills and the equipment to someone who will utilize it it, someday in the future. Few people can make a statement like yours. Being a life long Hot Rodder sounds like a great way to enjoy ourselves I've only been at it 20 years or so I can only hope to achieve your level of experience someday as well as hope to still be at it at almost 80. Bravo my man.

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanks for the inspiration, Hank. I'm seventy and slogging my way thru three projects and I hope I have the time - 37' Chevy pickup with Jimmy 302 engine. Then slapping a 471 blower on the side of the 235 stovebolt in my '55 Chevy pickup. Finally, rebuilding a '54 Buick 322 nailhead and topping it off with a Latham axial flow supercharger. One day at a time.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really enjoying this thread.
    All you guys are awesome.
    Having such a love for this stuff and making the effort to acquire and invest the knowledge and skills and everything it takes to build cool old engines with soul. And then stick 'em in cool old cars... with soul.
    In fact, sometimes I think that you guys don't give yourselves enough credit. Cuz there's no doubt... it's the rare person who can do it.
    And it's the coooooolest!

Desoto291Hemi, 31hotrodguy and Hank37 like this.
  26. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Bump up what she come with..gap a Kia Rio..

27. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I decided to run a Cadillac 390 in my A because I wanna be different and stand out at the car shows. Plus I'm building the car as a 50's traditional and they were around. Sorta, I'll tell people it's a "331". I decided on it after thinking about how much money I'd pour into a flat head for 200 HP. I'm planning a trip power, port and polish plus gasket matching with a nice healthy Isky cam. It'll be a cruiser but I wanna roast the tires! Only drawback is the expense of these unique engines! Ask me how I know.

28. swifty

swifty

OK @Tman. I'll bite. What is that?

29. RB Nissan built by Peter Donnelly in Australia, 1400HP

30. swifty

swifty

Wow. Thanks for that but we've got the moderators onto us now.

Roothawg likes this.