Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flat tire & no jack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 3, 2020.

1. I had to do a refresh. It's not easy for me to immediately recognize a crankshaft as a lever, especially when comparing to the lever pictured. And I couldn't recall hearing them called levers.

Hmm, yeah, crankshafts do use LEVERage. That's the result, the output force. But it's still not clear.

So I searched the international electric memory. I found text that stated bicycle cranks are levers.
    "Here's one of the most familiar cranks of them all! We always talk about the "pedals" on a bicycle when we really mean the cranks—two *** levers *** that help to multiply the force supplied by our leg muscles as they pump up and down. In theory, the longer the cranks, the better—because that gives more leverage. In practice, though, the cranks have to be short enough for your legs to operate the pedals comfortably and not so long that they bang on the ground. The cranks combine with the gears to make the bicycle just about the most efficient form of transportation so far invented."

And the definition of crank:
    "A crank is an arm attached at a right angle to a rotating shaft by which circular motion is imparted to or received from the shaft."

Okay, starting to figure it out but not fully convinced.

Hmm, so when riding a bike our legs are connecting rods and our strength and/or weight is the input force, the pistons, in a way. Now I'm picturing a crankshaft powered by legs.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me either.

3. Jokester

Jokester

I used to keep a floor jack in my sedan. Needed it once, didn't work. So I started buying those scissor jacks that come in newer cars. I spent an hour modifying it to work on every wheel on my car. Small, cheap, functional. And it fits under the car, even when the tire is flat. Spare mounts on the back like the original.

Got a similar jack for the coupe too. Now if only there was a space in the coupe to keep a spare....
    .bjb

3W JOHN, OLDSMAN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Colin HD

Colin HD

Was thinking of the Worlds Fastest Indian movie, where he uses a length of timber to overcome a flat tyre (correct spelling LOL)

3W JOHN, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's a helpful tip for those as dumb as I am. when you put mags on your car be sure to put something in the car that fits the different lug nuts.
    yes, I was one of those men we see on the side of the road that had to have another man change his tire. when I got back into my truck I was wearing skinny jeans and had a man bun. it was like the twilight zone.

6. Balancing act. HRP

P8Zok0uqEdCFjduKhqykXtrmJ4-QXvpIvBGrvXlV-oI.jpg

Jalopy Joker, 3W JOHN and OLDSMAN like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

the other guy must be taking the pictures.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm running adapters on my fronts to get the 5x4.5" small Ford pattern to match the rear, and they take a metric lug nut. I had to buy metric mag nuts for the front and standard mag nuts for the rear. I carry a steel Ranger wheel and tire for a spare, so I have 5 metric nuts and 5 standard nuts tied to my spare for which ever end I need the spare on. I carry a pull handle with sockets to match the two different nuts. Luckily my car has huge wheel wells, so my spare fits both ends with only a little difference in diameter.

3W JOHN, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

My 48 Chevy P/U has been my main Hot Rod for over 20 years. When I first built it I put a Harbor Freight aluminum floor jack in the bed. Spare lug nuts, breaker bar, the whole nine yards. I aso run a front tire spare,4 7/8, 4 1/2, dual pattern. Interesting enough, in over 70k miles, I've never had a flat on the truck. However, when running with the "Cruise Crew" (which changes from event to event) I,m the spare tire guy. YET, never had a flat either!! How ever it's worked out well for other rodders over the years. Rescued a few flats along the way. My favorite was on I65, South of Indy on the way to Lou'vul and the NSRA Nats. A very nice 40 Ford coupe from Oklahoma with a flat right front tire. The guy and his wife were a little frustrated. Aparently the trip had not gone to well. There had originally been 3 cars running together, one broke down early on and went back home. The other 2 got seperated (didn't ask) and this 40 lost an Alternator in Illinois. So after assessing the situation (apparently no spare and ?) I volunteered my spare and set him up. Done. Upon opening the 40 trunk, there was hardly room for a dead tire, so I put in the bed of the truck. Exchanged cell numbers and agreed to meet up on Friday. Worked out well, lunch included. Bill Rinaldi

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. No room for a spare, so the best I can do is "fix-a-flat". Probably need a new can as the one I have is probably 10 years old. Not much help with a blowout though...

11. I found one more photo of the same man & car on a totally different site, it appears the other guy is a woman. HRP

cad0f562183b30e0843d8fb044c50827.jpg

Jalopy Joker and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"multiply" the force? That's an interesting theory, but I question its accuracy. Wouldn't "convert" the force be a more accurate description

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go on, Pearl... get on up in there.
    Elmer... if you drop this car, I'm a gonna beat you with my good arm.

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HOTRODPRIMER I see you just rolled past 54,000 posts. That's more posts than a lot of us have miles on our toys.

Keep it up!

15. I'm pretty sure the force is multiplied by the the radius of each crank, like a cheater bar on a ratchet.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  16. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

What is the car?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. The plot thickens.

18. A three-eyed Chevy?

19. Yeah we ain't as slick as you city folk.

20. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Where do these guys find all those 10’ fence posts or 4x4s laying around?

3W JOHN, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. No offence intended, My good friend Dave is from Kentucky and he jokes about people in his home town, especially his own family, he was the youngest child, They didn't have a radio or TV, His dad was a backwoods preacher & his stories about growing up in Kentucky keep us rolling when he gets started. HRP

3W JOHN and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How about using a lever for a spare tire! Say what? Yes I have several times!
    While at Sturgis, we were pulling a little trailer, with 12 inch wheeks behind our four wheeler. Well all of a sudden the tire went flat and came off the rim. And we were about a mile from camp. We had several folks and ice chests full of beer to deal with !
    So, I looked around there was a 2x4 laying there I grabbed it, slid it under the axle , while one of my friends picked up on it and I tied it up to the frame with a motorcycle tie down! Picking the flat tire up off the ground.
    We moved as many folks as possible to the four wheeler and headed back to camp! We made it! A lever for a spare tire!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  23. Similar to a travois to replace the wheel. HRP

3W JOHN and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Exactly like one! I just didn’t know it had a name! I just improvised and imitated an Oklahoma Indian litter. Lol

Bones

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. I found a few more images of the poor guy, he seemed to get himself and his car in some rough spots.

The caption with the photo says he was the school superintendent over the schools. HRP

untitled-photo-possibly-related-to-mountaineers-trying-to-get-car-out-of-creek-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    The Magic Ratchet and 3W JOHN like this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny did you notice the spare tire cover? double cola?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. No sir I didn't, maybe Double Cola was a sponsor. HRP

28. Another image, stuck in the South Fork of the Kentucky River photographing the conditions of rural schools. HRP

[​IMG]

29. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Double "coke" probably made the scene seem lighter.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.