Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the best mini boost box to keep in your hot rod??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Whadda ya got? Where'd ya get it? How much? The pic is just an example!vvvvvvvv THX C21a-2__39115.1562298414.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Advance Auto Parts. $229.00 before 20% discount. Thats for the 12V 2000A unit you asked about.

3. sdluck

sdluck

These are great I used them dailey @ the city of San Jose.

4. What's a ... ?

clem likes this.

5. It’s for a jump start.....

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought at $70 Stanley unit from Amazon. If I don't keep it plugged in all the time, it doesn't even have enough oomph to pump up my bicycle tires. The small print said "no returns". I am not a happy camper.

7. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've sold Several hundred mini jump boxes over the last 5 or 6 years since they came on the scene. several different brands and the NOCO GB70 is what I've definitely seen the least problems with and what I put in my wife and kids cars.

8. WHAT the?

9. MikeG5211

MikeG5211

I watch videos by ProjectFarm on youtube, great channel by the way.. he tests competing products by different brands as fairly and thoroughly as possible and seems very non bias. He buys all the products with his own money.

Anyhow he did one on Jumpstarters not long ago and the Audew brand one seemed to perform best overall with a couple others coming very close. I recommend watching the video and judging for yourself .

The highest capacity Audew one will run you 96 bucks on amazon.

Jumper - https://www.amazon.com/Audew-20000mAh-Starter-Battery-Charging/dp/B07GR17R3X

Video -

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. A box of 12 glazed donuts will give you both a boost & a jump start. just have enough coffee. Works for me. Jimmie

11. Ryan, what happened to this place? I now see why most, if not all the people I used to interact with here have left the building. This place used to be a wealth of info. Now it's clown like answers, and guys offering to hook you up by offering help in a PM...to later edit that part out of their post.............

12. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

A lot of older hot rodders have gone to facebook. Recent convert myself. Not many stupid comments, big market place. You can choose what groups you want to join. I'll never leave the HAMB, just tired of all the cutesy replies.

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

Well excuse me......I certainly don't want to be accused of putting a little humor out there , so I removed my post.
    Sure my post didn't give you the info you were requesting, but I believe hand cranking or push starting your hot rod because of a dead battery is more "traditional" than a "mini battery booster"

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 54vicky

54vicky

do not cry to Ryan if you did due diligence you may get your answer.asking for advice on here from people you only know from their postings is foolish.some were trying to bring levity in a world suffering from the -19.as posted on ads in fine print your results may vary then what do you do?

15. Years ago I was on here a lot. Killer talent throughout! Some very amazing people with unlimited skills I have had the privilage to meet in person and now call friends! Used to be a question drew a lot of great answers from knowledgeable people in a short period of time. I find the silly replies are usually generated by those that don't know but feel the urge to nervously punch away at their keyboards! LOL

scotty t, hidez57 and Hnstray like this.
  16. Seriously guys? After having a hard start a few times, I've started carrying a booster all the time. No issues with the T since rewiring and a new alternator, but have used it to help a fellow hot rodder out...

ironrodder and dana barlow like this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My perception of these things is that they require constant attention to be ready when you need it. However, unless you have an car with us corrected inherent problems or sudden failure, the things just deteriorates and is useless when you need it.

I might consider taking one along if I were to be traveling in a remote area, where aid may not be readily available. But, even in that instance, a fully charged spare battery out of of my other vehicles would be a no cost option and only slightly bigger than those gizmos.

Being a cross between a Luddite and a Curmudgeon, I fail to understand how these devices work in an automotive environment. They seem to just be a capacitor (aka condenser) with a nice package and a handle. :confused:

Ray

18. No help from me, I never paid attention to what we had at the car lot. Just used it. I am sure there are better ones out there. Give it some time, its a slow Sunday, you will get answers

19. What's Groucho driving these days?

20. Maybe the ~problem~ is that most people here aren't familiar with whatever a mini booster is.

Edited to add: You got a bunch of good answers and a few "cutesy" replies. And you probably won't get Ryan's attention by just typing his name.

----
    Why would you want one and for what vehicles?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Because it has a battery that does not care.

22. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Sorry I gave my opinion on what I see with my customers, I wasn't trying to sell anything here at all. I already have as big a customer base as I can handle. The edit I made was due to a spelling error.
    I enjoy this place for the great info pics and stories etc on my hobby/lifestyle which is only very remotely associated with how I make a living. That is dealing with professional mechanics / technicians majority of which work on OT vehicles. I've never sold anything work related on here.

23. rudestude

rudestude

Do a search for the 2020 Consumer Guide Testing of the top 10 mini automotive battery booster jump boxes....all the info your looking for is there , from size , power, uses, and price.
    Didn't see any specifics on use or storage on or in Hot Rods ,but there's enough info available you should be able to figure it out.
    And yes you have to maintain them just like you would your cars battery to keep them up so that they will work when you need them.
    Good luck Groucho...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not sure any of them will hold a charge for extended periods of time. So I'd plan on occasionally taking it out of the car and plugging it in. Especially before you head out on a long trip where you think you might need it!

25. I don't understand.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Does not want to call AAA

sgtlethargic likes this.
  27. I want for the ocassional dead battery around my shop, or sometimes my mom doesn't drive her car for months (runs around with my retired sister), saves my running extension cords all over the place depending on where the car's located.

28. the edit also excluded a PM offer.

29. 59 BelAir with 59 Vette motor with solids, 4 speed, 4.11 posi.

20180815-121206.jpg 20190410-075638.jpg 00-A0-A-822bcs-Vn-Tvd-600x450.jpg

teach'm, rudestude, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice 59. I've got one of those boosters and every time I try to use it its run down . My fault for not keeping it charged. My battery charger has a " boost position" which is what I usually wind up using.

scotty t likes this.