Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help Identify These Rims

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FLATHEAD'N IT, Jul 4, 2020.

1. FLATHEAD'N IT

FLATHEAD'N IT

These rims came on my '29 Roadster Pick Up. No luck identifying them so far. Anyone know for sure? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if they were mine, I would identify them as "wire wheels for sale. unknown manufacturer."

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

lip lace like that is Mopar.
    mid 50's Plymouth

I had them on my A

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. Seon

Seon

50's Buick Rivera had wire wheels but those aren't them.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me they look like the ones Coker sells on their website.

Hnstray and stillrunners like this.
  6. Let me be the first to say....you're talking about wheels right?

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's not start THAT again:eek:

Bandit Billy, clem and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It needs to be said again and education must occur!

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIM VS WHEEL...Again ?

For you sticklers that are living in the 1920s, or working only on big trucks (and are stuck on the term "demountable rims") and can't accept the term "rim" for the whole metal part of an automobile wheel...well, you technically can't call that metal part a "wheel" either.

NOUN
    1. a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground.
    In general (modern) language, it would be the sum of ALL the parts that actually make it a wheel.

In my part of the world the "rim" is the metal part consisting of a "band/hoop" and a "center". The tire is the rubber thing...and when you put a tire on the rim it becomes a...you guessed it... a usable wheel.

Let the bitchin' begin:eek:

Corn Fed, Jim Bouchard, clem and 4 others like this.
  10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Put me in the " wheel" camp....a " rim" is only a portion of a " wheel" .....

Jibs, 302GMC, Special Ed and 6 others like this.
  11. I think they look great on your truck. I like the painted rims and chromed spokes...

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta ask...for the last 90 years the hoop/band/rim has been welded/riveted to the center to make ONE interregnal unit. Why in Gods green earth would anyone still consider a rim a separate entity ? When was the last time you saw just a rim...let alone own one ?;)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I've never seen any that I recall with the spokes all facing one direction on the inside, and the other direction on the outside. Google doesn't find any either, but I may not know what to ask for.

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since you asked.......I have a few rims (hoops without centers) in my shop. Bought some of them to use to make wider wheels with specific centers. Also, have separated centers from rims to ‘reverse’ them.

Other than a cast one piece alloy wheel, wheels generally consist of two parts, the center and the rim, which are typically joined by riveting or welding them together to make complete and usable wheel.

Local/regional vernacular often differs from correct and accurate use of terminology or definitions. But that regional use doesn’t immediately change the meaning of the words in the larger realm.

Ray

upspirate, 47ragtop, X38 and 2 others like this.
  15. jimvette59

jimvette59

Back in the 80s I had a set of Mclanes ? spelling wheels with stainless spokes on my 34 three window fenderless Hot Rod. They sure look like them.

16. If you worked in a bicycle repair shop you wouldn't be confused about definitions.

17. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

He asked to identify the rim.
    If someone could answer that question, it would satisfy everyone no matter what camp you’re in.
    I seriously doubt that the rim manufacturer is not making the centers. Especially since the spoke pattern is so odd.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Couldn’t seller/builder provide that info?

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

20. That's McLean. Gary McLean from memory, lots of wire wheel lacing variations from him.

bchctybob and Hnstray like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Ray, I gotta disagree...you don't have a "complete and usable wheel". All you have is an apparatus/adapter that allows you to mount a tire to an axle...that's not a "wheel". Other than being round, it meets none of the defined requirements of a vehicle wheel...which is to reduce resistance/friction and gain a mechanical advantage....and not until you add a tire (which actually touches the ground) will it become a unit that can preform the work of a wheel. Incidentally, that "metal apparatus/adapter" isn't even necessary;)
    [​IMG]

TagMan and Hnstray like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Technical and black and white .:p

Hnstray likes this.
  23. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and just when you thought I was done...

The point of all this blather (above) is to point out that it is much more accurate to call it a "rim" rather than to call it a "wheel"...which by definition, it isn't (unless the tire is on it). Probably a more correct term would be a "tire adapter" as it's ONLY duty is to allow a soft, flexible rubber tire to be firmly mounted to a stable axle/hub. I doubt the term "tire adapter" will catch on...so we have to call it something...and "rim" fits the bill.
    ALL of these "tire adapters" have two thing in common, a rim to hold a tire, and a center to attach it to the axle/hub/drum. The rim is the constant in the equation. Whether it's cast, or steel, they all have a similar design to properly and firmly hold a tire in place. The center on the other hand has infinite variations, solid, wire, cast, and also depending on application, design, and appearance. Once the center variation (the variable) is decided upon, it is attached to the rim (the constant) to become one useable unit. It would be correct to call the finished unit a "rim & center" if you still consider it 2 pieces...but as ONE complete unit now, it makes sense to call it a "rim"...the only part of the unit to remain as a constant.;)

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if a person comes here and asks about his rims and this confuses you perhaps some sort of remedial reading class is in order.

now calling an engine a motor, that is a more serious discussion.:confused:

26. At least we are talking about rims and not rimz

302GMC, X38, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  27. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Me too:p

28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

". . . for the last 90 years the hoop/band/rim has been welded/riveted to the center to make ONE interregnal unit."

Then this one does not qualify. It's not welded nor riveted to the center.

29. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't Wheelkid here on the HAMB related to Gary McLean? Maybe he can confirm if they are McLean wheels.

30. millersgarage

millersgarage

as usual, the HAMB runs amuck and the original question gets lost in the useless ramblings......

anyways, the lip lace is the definer. The chrome spokes were added as they did not come that way from the factory. I believe they were made by Motor Wheel

Wheel Vintiques makes this style too. Most aftermarket manufacturers make the full chrome.

Todd553 likes this.