Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When a stash of HAMB friendly cars is found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Jul 2, 2020.

1. redo32

redo32

I was dealing with a gentleman long distance to purchase a '32 fordor he advertised. We agreed on a price and I mailed him a deposit check while juggling my finances. I googled his address to determine where to pick the car up, I clicked on street view and he was in his driveway washing a nice '32 Tudor. When I verified he had received the check I mentioned what a nice Tudor he had. He was silent for a moment and said, "How do you know I have a Tudor? We never talked about it." I told him about him washing the car when google drove by and everybody knew where he lived. He was nervous and I could tell he was having second thoughts about me and selling the Fordor. But everything worked out.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. There's also 'right', and 'dead right'. Their choice...

3. toml24

toml24

I could post Google Earth ground level photos from a year ago. What do the HAMB gods say to that? No city, no street, tight edit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

OK I confess. When I buy or give away stuff here, sometimes I will check your address on Google to see how big a garage you have.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t likes this.
  5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That's creepy in a way ,, not car stuff , but people stuff.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had cars at my house out front I would not want them posted on the internet by strangers and me not knowing about it..

there was a guy here who posted photos of his shop full of cool expensive vintage parts on a regular basis showing the cars he worked on. saw a sign for a business over the fence, and had his address from google Earth in about 10 minutes. there is a current member here who posted pics of his cars. took me 20 minutes to find his house with only the city. I have a lot of spare time at work..... lots of interesting things to do on Google Earth. go take a drive around Detroit where the crumbling mansions are.... I think that is what got me started on this google Earth thing. I also like looking at vinatge photos and going to see if the buildings are still there.

B Ramsey, chryslerfan55 and 1oldtimer like this.
  7. I would say make sure no street signs, no markings, no license plates, no house number you should be fine.....it's on google maps for shits sake..........but I'm no HAMB god.

8. toml24

toml24

Okay, here it is. Google Earth ground level from a year ago and this is representative of the current display. I hope a current HAMB member knows this person and can reach out to him. Whoever it is must be a serious collector as there are plenty of goodies behind the walls.
    2020-Car in yard-1.jpg 2020-Car in yard-2.jpg

9. Yep...it's actually on Google's street view.....and the satellite view as well.

10. Budget36

Budget36

I'll drive by and take a pic or two of ya stepping out to get your paper, lock your doors, etc.

You okay with me posting that on the internet, right?

11. Served the guy right! I had some bad experience in Maryland with a crooked private detective who was hired by a dissident faction in the church I pastored at the time to dig up dirt on me and my family and do a hatchet job "investigation." The guy fabricated a bunch of stuff, and I brought proceedings against his license. I don't know how it is in other states, but in Maryland licensing and regulation of private detectives is a joke, and any ex-cop who can avoid a felony conviction can get a Maryland goon license as easily as getting a fishing license. I found out by painful experience that private detectives are pretty much above the law in Maryland--I don't know what it would take for the good ol' boys in the Maryland State Police to pull the license of a private detective. The guy I dealt with would have lost his license if the MSP had told the truth and done their job. My hat is off to the guy who rolled the private detective's car with his tractor!

12. I'm kind of wondering what your goals are.

49ratfink likes this.
  13. trollst

trollst

I live in the country, my driveway climbs a hill, you cannot see in my yard unless you physically drive into it. Google earth can't even find my driveway, it gives a location down the road, and the satellite view is obscured by trees. Keeps the thieves away, if they come up here, there's no other way out, dangerous for them, I caught a guy casing the place a couple years ago, asked him who he was looking for, told him that person never existed, he drove off and never saw again.
    I also keep the shop door closed, warmer in winter, cooler in summer.

RMR&C, 49ratfink and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I worked in my garage with the door open exactly once. A local "car guy" out for a walk wandered in and started insulting me and my car. Never again.

15. fuzzface

fuzzface

I seen google street view of those cars before.

16. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I purchased a car in norther Illinois that was built in Kentucky 10 years before, never met the builder but after 30 min on the internet I found his current address his Facebook friends and the other cars he had owned and sold over the years, older and not in good health now I did not see the reason to bother him, all in all you can find anyone pretty much anywhere with a little bit of info to start with. A drive by picture of old cars I feel is ok as long as you don’t blast it out to the world and cause someone a lot of pain from the car flippers of the world that is where it becomes a violation of privacy
    My 2 cents.....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.