Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Flat tire & no jack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Got a flat tire and no jack, no problem for a farmer back in the day, just grab the nearestt fence post. HRP

71FeFS0HKFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

pic taken by his 275 lb buddy that stepped on end of post while guy in pic changed tire

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

A lot of new cars don't come with a spare or jack. They come with a can of fix a flat..... No kidding!!

It's not a big deal though. Most younger people don't know how to change a tire anyway, let alone using "one of those lug thingys".

Lil32, 3W JOHN, cfmvw and 6 others like this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yes, tire quality, and how well they seal with something stuck in them, is pretty amazing. A friend of mine was over from the other side of the State a week ago. We went out for lunch, and took his Astro Van (cough, cough!!!). Leaving the restaurant parking lot, he did't see the 4 foot long piece of someones grille, lying in the road, and ran it over (no, he's not blind, just too close to the car in front of him, so he could't see it in the road). A bracket from it stuck in the right front tire, and it sounded like the whole thing was stuck there; whack, whack, thump, thump. We DRIVE to Les Schwab, and they pro-rate the tire out to $4.00; they did't worry about the $4.00 charge. The piece of hardened steel that actually went into the tire was 1 inch wide , 1/8 inch thick, and about 2 inches penetrated, but how it did't leak around it was impressive. Now, an older tire, or one with a tube, and we'd have gotten the jack and spare out. So, a new car, with a can of fix-a-flat, probably works about 99% of the time. See what happens when you tailgate?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Hey, it works.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I was taught a few methods by my dad when I was a kid. The military used to teach how to change a tire with no jack or lift in the field.

Boneyard51, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were out at the beach in our 49 coupe it was parked on the sand . Came back from a swim In the surf and my son said huh the car looks on a lean . Flat front tyre no jack no spare. Called home and my wife brought about the 4WD with a spare and jack . It sure was a challenge getting a jack to hold in soft sand, searched around and found some suitable driftwood to put under the jack to save the day.
    Without a jack I have no idea.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And if you have another shorter piece of lumber, you can even break the tire bead so you can change the tire.

9. jim snow

jim snow

I don’t travel without either one. Lug wrench too. Snowman

10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Many years ago got aflat front tire on a 47 merc that I had, spare tire but no jack. Buddy and me thought for awhile and found a rock to put under axle, scraped out a hole under the flat with lug wrench removed tire, enlarged hole and slid spare on and roared backwards off the rock and of we went. Ralphie

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Levers are neat.
    Crankshafts are really good levers.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and scotty t like this.
  12. Have triple A now. But take my Ridged brand battery powered impact. Just in case. At 75
    I can jack the car up. But getting the lug nuts loose is a problem. Ridged handles that.

13. atch

atch

I didn't let either of my daughters (now in their 40's) drive any cars 'til they learned how to change a tire and change the oil.

Anyway; on the way to the Rod & Custom Americruise in Snomass Village, Colorado. That would have been what, late 90's or so? I was convoying with my pal JD and his wife Mary. They were in front and we were about half way across Kansas. Back then we all had CB radios and chatted non-stop everywhere we went. We were travelling at our usual 85 (+/-) mph when JD said on the radio something to the effect of "hey, Mike, I'm gonna slow down a bit; I'm feeling a vibration in something." Ya know what it looks like when you're watching NASCAR and suddenly a car disappears into a cloud of white smoke? That's what happened next. JD's '56 F-100 was in that cloud of smoke. We both got off onto the shoulder safely though. By the time I came to a stop JD and Mary were standing at their right front wheel with very forlorn looking faces. I saw that the tire was shredded so I said "what's the big deal? Let's change it and be on our way; get out your spare." To which JD responded "I don't have a spare".

Let's take a short time out. JD's pickup is a very highly detailed thing of beauty with no place to carry a spare except in the bed, where in his opinion it would be a distraction. Also ya got to know that with the huge tires on the back he wouldn't be able to change a rear tire on the roadside anyway. To get one of them off you have to either remove the bed or take the shackle bolts out of the rear springs and jack the truck up off of the axle/wheels/tires. So it's a 50% chance that if he had a flat a spare wouldn't do him any good anyway.

Back to the story. I tell JD that "that's ok, I'll get my spare (note: his F-100 and Clarence use the Ford/Mopar 4.5" bolt pattern all the way around) and you get your jack." He just grinned and said "Mike, I don't carry a spare. Why would I carry a jack?" Those were his exact words; I'll never forget it.

The rest of the story gets pretty much mundane after that. We put my spare on and got a new tire at the next town. But the home run was the look on JD's face when he said he didn't carry a jack.

14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

My 53 vicky has larger tires and 4 inch lowering blocks. The tires can only be removed by dropping the a rear shackle.

I only had 5 miles on the new tires and one of the rears went flat due to a defective valve stem. Called AAA.....

Thankfully I was able to replace the valve stem with the tire on the car once it was brought home on a flatbed :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always have a spare and a jack and lug wrench or sockets and pull handle.

When I first starting trucking, I was driving for an over the road outfit that kept you out a week or more at a time. Got in one night after being out for three weeks, my mini pickup had a flat on the rear, G60 14. No problem, put my E78 spare on, start home. Get halfway home, hit something in the road, blow the front tire. Luckily, I was right at a small town, limped on in to a service station that was closed for the night. Aired up the G60 that I had taken off the back, put it on the front in place of the E70 that was there, it actually fit! Got home about midnight, next morning the wife wanted to know what was wrong with the pickup, it was leaning to one side! All this before cell phones....

As to kids not knowing how to change a flat, it's not just kids, it's grown men too! I see them all the time beside the Interstate in their suits and ties, some as old as me, some younger, cell phone in hand calling somebody to bring them a tire or change theirs. I have stopped and changed tires for elderly folks and a few women before, but a man in a suit, especially if he's younger than me, can get his fixed the best way he can! He ain't no better than I am to get his hands dirty!

3W JOHN, Driver50x, Lepus and 3 others like this.
  16. I carry a jack, spare tube and my triple A card.

17. Mark, we carry a jack and a spare in the wagon, there is ample room for it in the storage area in the back, I don't carry anything but AAA for the sedan. HRP

18. Maybe you need to convert it into a sedan delivery. Nice advertising piece you may be able to write off.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  19. Budget36

Budget36

Last real flat I had was in the late 70's, on the day I was getting new wheels and tires on my '57.

Modesto was a smallish town back then, I wanted L60's on 10 inch mage and G60's on 8.5 in the front...Ya'll recall Super Charger tires, right?

So the only time I ever spun my tires was when I raced, had Dunlop's about worn out. The shop I was at sent me over to pick up my real wheels....on the way back I thought "heck, getting new tires, let's smoke the Dunlops"

I did, blew the right rear to shreds and stuck the spare on.

Odd looking back, 4 mags, 4 tires mounted and balanced was around 250 bucks...

Good times!

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy used to figure that my spare would fit his roadster and he knew that I always carried a jack (actually two then, a bottle jack to lift the front high enough to get the trolley jack under the axle or control arm depending on when .
    I carried a standard offset wheel in the truck for a while until I had a flat on the rear and found that the standard offset wouldn't clear the bed side with the Nova rear axle. Jack up the front swap the front wheel for the spare and put the front wheel on the rear to make it to the tire store and give them a good laugh while they fixed the flat.
    I've got fancy chrome lug wrench for my dualie but found out that it doesn't fit my sailboat trailer. I forgot until now that there is a 3/8 breaker bar in a tool box in one of the storage bins that would have worked with a cheater bar.

21. It seems strange that someone had a camera there. It seems like a setup.

22. A crankshaft is a lever?

23. clem

clem

I carry a hydraulic trolley jack, spare etc. Too many nails and screws on the roads here, from builders who don’t seem to care.

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lotsa tire left.
    It's only flat on the bottom.

25. topher5150

topher5150

They're doing that to save weight to increase mpg. Doesn't do you a lot of good if you have a blow out
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

HRP I got AAA for my daughter and wife long time ago and discovered it goes with the member and not car specific. So now we all are members. I won't change a tire or fix a car on the road anymore.

Pat

27. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Nothing make me smile more than when I see a guy stating on the side of the road watching another dude changing his tire because he is not man enough to change his own tire.

3W JOHN, Driver50x, BamaMav and 2 others like this.
  28. Terrible80

Terrible80

There's a lot of reasons someone might not be able to change a tire. Enjoying someone's misery says a lot about a person.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, sgt... you know.
    Actually, a series of levers.

Just trying to be clever.
    ... about the lever.

3W JOHN, ottoman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. Mark, I actually wanted to do that, my friend & fellow hamber Buster Henderson did a beautiful conversion on one of his sedans and I was waiting on him to do the job, he didn't use a kit and made everything, he was always covered up with work and when he was ready I had bought another car.

After installing the interior I decided to leave the car alone. HRP

dirty old man and 3W JOHN like this.