Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Compact battery options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I am going to be starting on my next '34 project soon.
    On my last three builds I located the battery in the trunk to make it easier on my exhaust guy. On this build there is no trunk, it's a sedan delivery. I need to find a compact 12 volt battery. Mounting it under the frame, or on the firewall are not an options this time either.
    Has anyone used the new compact batteries ?
    Thank you

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i've got a group 51, older honda civic battery in my 34 turning a 59ab, in the stock location but with a narrow battery box so the exhaust and battery fit between the rails. seems to work fine

3. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

See my post on my AGM/Braille experience. Lots of guys are having good to great luck with this technology. Me not so much. Went back to a standard battery, inexpensive and readily available You could always go off the rails and build a one of a kind battery box. Your build go your own way

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Dyna-Batt, small, 13 lb.'s, google it!
    dynabat-01_d.jpg

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. Fogger

Fogger

When I built my '32 Roadster in '06 I wanted to have the battery in the stock location. Found an Odyssey MJ (metal jacket) PC925 that was a great fit. Metal jacket protects it from road debris and rocks. IMG_0516.jpg

jimmy six and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. I've heard mixed things about AGM units but only praise from me. My 51 Vick has a 12 year old Oddsey PC 925 in it. I sure can't complain about that. My John Deere tractor has the same Batt. in it. 9 years old. My ridding lawn mower has a pretty fresh one in it, only 5 years old there. I think the trick may be using the proper charger/tender on them and not let a millie amp draw drag them way down. All 3 of them have a pig tail on the Batt cables and I plug them in as soon as I park them. Now watch, all 3 will die next week.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I ran a battery out of a newer Harley Mega Glide for awhile. With 50+ cubes per cylinder they need some cranking ability. Worked great for a couple of years but it was used when I got it so no idea how old it was. It was sealed, mount in any position.

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

10. Have been running a Oddessy PC 680 compact battery eight years without a problem. Mounted under the seat on my roadster. Have also mounted this battery in other cars under the floor. Can be mounted in any position except upside down . About the size of a radio.
    001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 32 TIRES BATTERY 020.JPG

David Gersic, jimmy six and brigrat like this.
  11. TCTND

TCTND

I've used a couple lithium batteries made by Battery Tender. Very low self discharge rate, very light and compact. No complaints.