Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question For You Southern Folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Do like our good neighbors south of the border and take a Siesta in the heat of the middle of the day.
    Remember that old saying.."Only mad dogs and Englishmen work in the noonday sun".

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70s and 80s when I was building water towers, the company would have us working north in the winter and south in the summer. At first, I thought it was kind of backwards but quickly came to realize that the places in the north where water towers were built were usually swampy so building a tower when the ground was frozen was better than working in mud. In the southern area we worked in, unless it rained, the ground was usually dry in the summer. I also came to realize that in the winter, I could always add more clothing. In the summer, however, there's a limit to how much you can take off without some passerby calling the cops on you for indecency.;)

4. chopped

chopped

A window A?C unit costs around $100.00. I have one stuck in a wall. Undersized for the room but I'm just looking to cool. 100 here today.

Boneyard51 and dirty old man like this.
  5. 2935ford

2935ford

When I lived in Sioux City, Ia being from Eastern Canada, 98F and humidity the same took some getting use to.
    Garage and a half there and no A/C my projects were covered with my sweat! Did have A/C in the house thankfully.
    Now here in N.B. we have had weeks of 30c but not the humidity. My divided 28 x 60 garage is not A/C but fully insulated and I wear a long sleeve while out there. Much nicer. My problem is taking the cars out and they all fog up!

6. Yes it can get really uncomfortable in the heat, but having been born near Corpus Christi, in 1943, I didn't even notice it till 1957 when we got our first window unit.

Built "The Judge" in a tent over the last few years with the help of a Home Depot spot cooling air conditioner..no problem.

And/but as mentioned above, 40 degrees and I'm choosing War Thunder video games at my work desk in the man cave! I'll never leave Texas..

7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Las Vegas.....HOT....DRY and no rust...This old Buckeye loves it....Been here now 30 years and don't miss the humidity and the slush and salt of Ohio...Like the Hookers you work at night...

Boneyard51 and alanp561 like this.
  8. pkhammer

pkhammer

Thermometer on the porch shows 92 right now. This time of year I get up and hit the shop at 6:30am and work until around noon. In the evening I might go back around 8:00 and work until 10:00. I've got to get AC and Heat in my garage!

9. Just be glad you don't live in Siberia where its 100ºf now....:eek:

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I grew up in the Ohio River Valley , it’s the worst possible place to survive in. Super Hot near 100 in the summer and 90% humidity damn near everyday , winter it dips below 0 . I worked 30 years pipelining in that shit , my body is broken from dealing with the extremes . Now if it’s too hot or too cold I say to hell with it , wait till tomorrow it will change !

11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

What you talking but, you way up there, come on down to Leesville. JUST KIDDIN, but to answer the op question , I just get at it and sorta get used to it , worst day I remember was a roof job back in 94, old building in Saluda, 2 story , flat tar type roof, was putting trusses up and metal , roof temp was 126 before the cheap thermometer I borrowed from one of the ladies in the building broke. In H S played football and we practiced in August everyear and I remember 100 degrees plenty of times and our coach would not let us have water said it would cause us to cramp, Nobody died through.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    6sally6, alanp561 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Uh Edmonton Alberta dont you mean -45...lol
    I hear yah on temps near freezing but damp, its way worse than 0 on a sunny dry day and no wind
    I have no trouble with sub zero on sunny calm days as its so dry here usually in winter, but Manitoba is much more humid than Alberta in summer..

13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

At 5 pm my daughter and I went to A&W for supper, it was 93 in town...

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

HRP is right, most of us older guys didn't grow up with AC, I didn't have AC until I got married in 1978. The folks didn't get one until about 1980. I worked mostly outside in the weather until I was 27 and got into truck driving, then I thought I was in heaven, AC in summer and heat in winter!

Bones is right, start early in the day, quit when it gets too hot. Sometimes I go back in the afternoon, sometimes the morning is it. You have to pick your times to work when it's coolest.....80* is a lot better than 95*, but even 80* is hot if the humidity is high enough. I've lived my 61 years here in Bama, but I've been across the US in winter and summer. I'll still take the heat over the cold any day.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

2 heat strokes with one requiring a ambulance ride to the hospital. 2 water to one Gatorade Zero as I am diabetic. If I stop sweating or having to pee I know I’m in trouble so it’s all about hydration. My dr also told me that having heat stroke twice I am likely to get it easier than before so I do almost all my buying in the spring and fall. Summer I hide in the house.
    I prefer winter over summer.

Roothawg and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get out to my shop around 7:00am and work to about noon on real hot days. I'm usually good until the temperature in the shop gets close to 90*, then I head for the a/c.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. Yep...what most have said.....we had a REALLY mild winter in north Texas with no real freezes that kill out bugs - so we deal with that as well.......
    Head bands really help out if you don't have A/C handy......a good fan helps out....the head bands were giving to me by a sister years ago and seem to help a bunch...fans too but they do get the dust flying.......

56don and DIYGUY like this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Spent the first ten years of my life in Miami, when we moved to Atlanta in 1963 I thought that was the frozen northland.
    I concur with many of my fellow southerners, the real question is how do you deal with seven months of hard winter?
    Give me a towel, a dry t-shirt and an iced tea any day.

56don likes this.
  19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I built my shop, I promised myself it was going to be comfortable to work in. A heat pump keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. A dehumidifier also helps and keeps things from rusting. I complained about my power bill but my wife said, "If you're gonna play, you gotta pay!" I definitely am getting my money's worth.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Born and raised in Southwest Pa, so was used to the typical 4 season weather there. In the 80's the Mills went down and I went back to school to learn a new trade. Ended up in Tulsa working for American. That first summer was brutal. During one stretch in 1986 it never got lower than the mid 90's at night and 100+ during the days. I made friends with a Texan who hated the weather there.. "Too damn cold!!" He swore he'd never live north of Houston again. I don't think I could stand living through a Pa. winter anymore!!

Boneyard51 and Roothawg like this.
  21. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Its in the nineties from late April / Early May until October here, and in the hundreds for a lot of that. If you don't work in the heat, you don't get anything done.

DIYGUY and alanp561 like this.
  22. I’m a human heat pump. I don’t own a winter coat and might have 2 sweaters.

t shirt all year.

I hate the heat. Fu!king hate it.
    I sweat I drip I cramp up my nose plugs up my eyes burn my balls melt to my thigh, the inevitable “mud butt” screw you heat n humidity !!

much rather be cold as you can dress for it, mowing the lawn naked usually ends up with a visit from the police.

been hotter then usually here with gross humidity, after working all day I’m out like a light by 730-8 pm the heat just pulls it outta me.

R A Wrench, anthony myrick and Baumi like this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good ole American. My son works for them. I tried when I was in Spartan, but could never get in. Kinda glad I didn’t now. Now, I work for the FAA as the Chief Inspector for our 135 operation.

Tman, VANDENPLAS and Hemiman 426 like this.
  24. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

South Mobile County, Alabama and that's damn near too far north for me! I HATE the cold months! I dress light unless I'm welding, keep a bottle of cold water near and if I can, a fan on me.

I don't know what mid 90 temps feel like in the northern states but people down here say it's a different kinda heat.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. I moved to Phoenix, AZ. from southern Cal. in July of '68. I learned very quickly not to leave my tools lying around in the summer sun! Spent a little over 20 years there and never really had any problems dealing with the heat. The running joke was "but it's a dry heat", there was a lot more to that then I realized back then. In '94, I moved to Arkansas and I knew then what they were talking about!
    The humidity here is a real bitch in the summer months, it really kicks my butt when I am out in it very long. Thankfully, I have heat and air in my shop so as long as I'm working in there it doesn't bother me. To me, living in the south beats the shit out of living up north. I can't stand cold weather plus I don't have to shovel the heat off my driveway and sidewalks!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jim, you have Lake Dardanelle right there to constantly add to the humidity! When we first moved up to northwest Arkansas and had to go back to Conway a few times, every time we got out of the car it felt like we were stepping into a sauna, it was so much more humid there than up here. Hope you and Sue are doing well.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  27. You're right about that, Duncan. Plus the river and several small lakes in the area. We are fine, hope y'all are as well. Missed not seeing you guy's at Dewey this year!

28. Although I was raised in Texas while a boy, I spent most of my adult working days in the Chicago western suburbs. In my late 40s, I'd had enough and moved back to Texas. A good friend, who had preceded me from north to south, told me to get ready for a big lifestyle change. You see, in Illinois, you hole up inside in the winter and schedule your big projects like shed building, tree trimming, cement patio, etc., in the summer. Whereas, in Texas, you do the opposite. Your cruising, building, construction, car projects, etc., are best done in the winter. In the summer when the temps are 95, 100, and up, you hole up in the house with a cold one. Occasionally a Texan might look out the window and see his new neighbor sweating over some minor project in the yard and have to comment, "Look at that Yankee boy. He's still mixed up in the head. Bless his heart." :p

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

We recently sold our Florida beach house and are back in Kentucky full time. Florida its impossible to do anything outside or in the garage for at least 9 months of the year. Many summer days its too hot to sit on a beach. I spent lots of time holed up around the pool. Kentucky in the summer is too hot and humid for me and too cold in the winter. If it wasn't for my daughter and her family, I think I'd be elsewhere. Maybe the mountains of Tennessee.

30. RMONTY

RMONTY

I cant take the heat since I had a heart attack 9 years ago. When I built my shop, I had full intentions of it being climate controlled. I spent $1200 on a 2 ton mini split heat pump. Best tool I ever bought!

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.