Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Welded up my brackets.....I’ll have to take care of set back, thrust angle and all the other happy stuff once rear axle is done and engine is in place and yada yada etc etc....I’m very happy with how the wishbones turned out! Making progress.....thanks for stoppin’ in fellas! 61472063669__3B5D2FF2-5E65-494B-8498-0E9DEB52D785.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2346.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2352.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad, Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  2. Mart

Mart

Can you join the two sides together? It would stiffen it up a lot. Forgive me, but it is looking a bit "bitty", as if the radius rod mounts are an afterthought. The radius rod mounts need to be a lot stronger than the trans mount. Lots of heavy push pull loads under braking. Make sure it is all braced fore and aft.

Mart.

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  3. Piewagn

Piewagn

I'm making the Xmember removable and I'll be boxing it. I'll be making my reinforcements and tying the xmember diagonally from the center point to the rearward frame rails....Once I have the geometry correct, the wishbone brackets will be welded to the trans mounts. The trans mount itself will tie them together.....

upload_2020-6-24_22-21-14.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    norms30a and loudbang like this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Rear spring apart.....need to research on common leaf removal.... IMG_2368.JPG IMG_2369.JPG

6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Rear axle and spring(s) painted! I want to get a roller so I can roll it out for more space to finish my reinforcements etc. Slowly checking the boxes! IMG_2371.JPG

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

I’ve removed 3 leaves from rear spring assembly...Spring back together and rear axle assembly ready for final install! Guess we’ll see how it is once we get the body on and load it up..... IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2377.JPG

Jet96, Ron Funkhouser, brEad and 2 others like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

I think I heard somewhere in the past that it’s a big day when your build at least finally becomes a roller....well, I think I’ve reached that milestone and to be honest.....I’m EFFING jazzed!! I’ve had my down moments when I just wanted to give up and sell it all.....but here she is so far! I’m very excited to be at this point in the process. Thanks for stickin’ with me fellas....plenty more to come! IMG_2380.JPG IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2383.JPG IMG_2384.JPG

oliver westlund, Tim, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

Rear wheels painted! I’ll be getting some real exercise while mounting the tires tomorrow.....gotta swipe the Wife’s baby powder when she’s not looking.... Adjustments.JPG

Ron Funkhouser, loudbang and brEad like this.
  10. Mart

Mart

Good progress. Yes, getting your creation rolling is a buzz.

Ron Funkhouser, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart! This place and it's people have been an inspiration, especially when I wanted to bag it.....

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Hat Tip to Matt from IronTrap! I was killing myself trying to get these mounted by hand and remembered Matt has a rim clamp.....texted him and NO hesitation....”c’mon up!” He’s a gem in this hobby that helps keep it going!!! Thanks again Matt!!! IMG_2388.JPG

13. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Great milestone getting it to a roller.

Ron Funkhouser, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you Aaron! Yes.....it feels great getting to this point!

15. loudbang

loudbang

I like the blackwalls and yellow wheels. :)

Piewagn and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is the kind of shit that makes ya wanna quit.....
    But....brand new brake shoes though.....WTF? IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2391.JPG

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks LB! Body satin black and engine block same yellow.....

loudbang likes this.
  18. koolbeans

koolbeans

Damn...those are kool....luv'm.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks KB!! These are spot on to the vision I had in my head.
    Just getting tired of the setbacks......BUT, I'll plow through them like I usually do. A little regrouping, then onward!

loudbang likes this.
  20. koolbeans

koolbeans

Piewagn, never fear, knowing that you are a for sure real "hot rodder" when you have setbacks that you overcome. It's part of the thrill, with agony, but no defeat. Keep up the great work.

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks KB! Well, the "agony" just got worse today.....I dismantled the other differential you can see in the background of some of my pics, I think I salvaged an axle, an axle housing and the banjo.....the rest is sh*t! Ring and pinion, EVERY bearing and race, every sealing surface is just rusted and pitted to hell. So, at this point, I have no functioning rear axle assembly. I'm digging up another diff I have in the stash and maybe out of the 3, I can make one good one with some new bearings thrown in. Keep your fingers crossed for me..... Thanks for stickin' around fellas!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  22. koolbeans

koolbeans

Piewagn...where you reside at? I threw out an all points to our local model A club. Big club....lots of stuff.
    They're checking.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

Lansdale Pa.....
    I appreciate it KB!!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yeah....this is the best out of what I have....all 3 pics same gear....looks like pinion depth not set right wearing the toe of the teeth....I do have one that’s got some pits from rust and some wear on the load side of the teeth....I just don’t have 500.00 for a ring and pinion set.... IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2406.JPG IMG_2407.JPG

brEad and loudbang like this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Now, I can manage to cobble together something with the sketchy ring and pinion. I would need to make a decision on which set to use. One is out of the question....too rusted. It's a shame someone left it out, because there's virtually no wear! Then there's the one with some pitting from rust and some normal wear, Or this one here with the abnormal wear on the teeth. Pinion looks good though. I could set pinion depth correctly and maybe get SOME life out of it. Odd the pinion doesn't show a goofy wear pattern like the ring gear. Any input is appreciated fellas! Thanks!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

If it were me I'd use it and set the pinion depth correctly. Let it wear into the wear mark. Haha.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking Aaron! I'm gonna wait and see if Koolbeans' APB shakes anything out.....

loudbang likes this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

This is the worst spot I found on the other gear I cleaned up....pinion looks good. I’ve decided to go with this gear unless Koolbeans’ APB produces some results ( thanks KB! )..... I’m still waiting on parts so there’s some time.....
    Thanks fellas!! IMG_2410.JPG

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That ring gear doesn't look good, I wouldn't want to run that one! I would worry about whether or not that would hold up. Hopefully KB's APB yields a better choice for you.

30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Unfortunately Dick, funds just aren't around right now and this is holding up the build. Every time I find a set at a reasonable price it's "sorry, just sold them" etc etc......I have one more source I'm going to check and see what shakes out. I can always start squirreling some cash away and replace it down the road. It's not gonna be a daily and I'm too old to go thrashing.....and if it goes, it goes.....
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it......