Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1939 Chevy Coupe - Drag Car? Info found

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shadow Creek, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Alright so a couple pictures of this coupe surfaced in the homogenized thread and it got me to wondering if anybody knows any details about it. These pictures were posted in the homogenized thread where there was some discussion about the front suspension setup. If anyone knows anything about it or has more pictures then feel free to share them here.

upload_2020-6-30_8-36-26.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-30_8-36-43.jpeg

Mods- if this needs to be moved to a different section please let me know or change it if needed

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Nothing but a bump.

Sure looks fast sitting there. Not one I'd normally think to throw away the fenders and chop, but it works

3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

That is one of only a couple post 1934 cars that looks cool without fenders

hfh, ebs121781, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I like the flared out rear body to the tires.

Stogy and Shadow Creek like this.

5. ...that's a cool 39,...here's a 38 and a 39...
    38-9 dirt coupes 002.jpg 38-9 dirt coupes 001.jpg

Stogy, Paul B, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  6. I remember seeing that 1939 Chevrolet at Half Moon Bay drag strip in 1957-58. I always liked the car, that is why I remember it. The background in the picture looks to be at Half Moon Bay.

7. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Thanks for the comments everyone, hopefully someone will show up with some more pictures and details. I’d like to see some drivetrain and interior shots if they exist

@typo41 -the rear of the body originally flares slightly to meet the fenders on these cars. It does lend a more custom look though with the fenders removed

Stogy likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chandler Young has one SCTA #270 runs a stock head GMC at the lakes. Haven’t seen it for a while. I don’t believe it’s chopped. Was an old drag race car by a guy named Jackson before he bought it. Sorry I don’t have a photo..

Shadow Creek likes this.
  9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Pretty sleek with the chop and laying the windshield back and the narrow front end . Really has the look of a lakes car.

Stogy likes this.
  10. I don't know why everyone seems to think it's a land speed car, when it has slicks and is shown at a dragstrip.

Mick

Stogy, rotten ron, 49ratfink and 4 others like this.
  11. Common sense ain't so common anymore

12. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

I have no idea what it was, which is why I’m seeking more info. In the homogenized thread someone stated they thought they recognized it as a land speed car. I felt having a better descriptor in the title may help draw the attention of someone who knows. I was not sure if the background location was a drag strip or what have you. I will edit the title accordingly.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Gonna bump this..would like some info or maybe more photos of this car..

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Shadow Creek, thanks for starting this Thread...put me in the interested to see more Camp... @nickthebandit has given I feel a very good lead...however he mentioned 57 58 and the clearer pic is around 1960 which is still easily justifiable.

Shadow Creek likes this.
  15. saltracer219

saltracer219

I think a friend of mine may have some info on this car, I have emailed him and will let you know what I find out.

16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Probably the first time I have seen a 39 Chev. having that treatment, which makes me wonder why no more have shown up over the years. I like it.

17. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

saltracer219 likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if it may have survived...so many classy builds back in the day met many a different fate...I suspect if it did someone probably slapped some fenders on it...but you never know...

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

After looking at the pictures again I think it does have an I-beam and parallel leaf springs. The link I was looking at is the shock link on the stock shock. I'd still like to know more about the car it has great lines.

Shadow Creek and Stogy like this.
  20. saltracer219

saltracer219

My Buddy did not have much to offer except that the car was/is a Northern California car that was Drag Raced at Freemont, Half Moon Bay and other NorCal Drag Strips in the 60's. He has a picture of it taken with him standing beside it in 1964. He said as far as he remembers it was white first and then orange. Maybe someone else from that area will chime in as to the history of this car. My Buddy would also like to know this.

dearjose, Stogy and Shadow Creek like this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wish I"d seen the white '39 back when I was scouring the internet and Craigslist trying to locate good front fenders for my '39 Chev coupe! I might have taken the easy way out and done a different theme on it!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Shadow Creek like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Common sense is what you are born with. Interaction with others and education eventually totally erases it.

1971BB427 and bchctybob like this.
  23. It seems there was a write-up on it in Hot Rod Deluxe four or five years ago. I think the car still exist.

24. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

That’s good info, would it be possible for him to scan the picture for you so we could see it?

You’re not the first person to mention they thought it had been in a magazine, I sure wish we could pin it down and find it if it was

Stogy likes this.
  25. I have all issues of Hot Rod Deluxe but, is going to take a while to find them.

26. The setting doesn't look like a drag strip. It looks more like a place for land speed racing. And I can't make out the rear tread when I zoom in.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  27. Thats Half Moon Bay

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  28. This was Half Moon Bay Drag Strip:
    Half Moon Bay Drag Strip.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  29. christmas tree

christmas tree

In its day it ran a 302 GM and was feathured in one of the good publications 1958 to 1965 or so.