Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Belair 12 volt wiper kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 2nd one of these I’ve used from National Chevy Association
    $209, plus the wiper blades and shipping. Still the best deal in town. Fantastic quality and instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

That's what i'm using. IMG_20200702_203109.jpg

jakespeed63 and VANDENPLAS like this.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nobody told you a '55 -'56 Chev electric motor is a bolt-in ?

squirrel, VANDENPLAS and Stovebolt like this.
  5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I fitted one in my old 54 moredoor about 20 years ago. Its still in use today. Even the cable to operate the switch bolts up. Just had to run a wire to power it when the ignition was on.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

The New Port motor works well, but the switch...well, they need to do some work on figuring out how to make it look like it belongs in an old car. They've been making them this way for decades, I guess no one told them there's a problem.

jakespeed63 and 1953naegle like this.
  7. I've drilled the original knob out and put a collar inside with JB weld. Making sure the screw is lined up with the screw hole. Add the correct escution on and it looks more original.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  8. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I had one of those Newport rigs in my 53' for a long time and it worked great but I always hated how the knob and motor looked against the rest of the car. It died a few years ago and I went back to the old vacuum motor with the vacuum assist fuel pump. It's lasted longer than the electric motor did, and having the wipers slow down while I accelerate gives cheap thrills. Still need to get the old windshield washer system going though....

jakespeed63 likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Other than a pain in the a** to install in my car NewPorts are great and I was able to use my stock knob. They said an intermittent switch would not usable with the stock control knob due to space but I think I could do it if I went 76 years old and don’t want to stick my head under a dash anymore. It doesn’t rain in So Cal anyway....

10. 1. no they didn't
    2. was in a time crunch to finish car
    3. owner/customer not that picky and is honestly tickled pink at the results.
    4. overall seems like a good bargain and helping support "small" business. National Chevy assoc. seem like real good people.
    5. used their 6 volt kit, in his other car. (should have converted that to 12 volts as well.)

1953neagle "having the wipers slow down while I accelerate gives cheap thrills. Still need to get the old windshield washer system going though".... very funny!

302GMC likes this.
  11. Passenger side cable was off of the drive mechanism, so thanks to the factory book, was able to re-install both cables. There is a copper end/ferrel and a steel end/ferrel. Important that they go on correctly. Only pain was, that I had to remove the radio to access. Needed cleaning anyways, so no big deal. Speaker looks god, maybe I can get it to work. It's actually wired into the headlight switch, from the factory. Also good opportunity to clean everything. Wonder how old these cigarette butts are?? LOL
    View attachment 4742663
    View attachment 4742664
    View attachment 4742665

302GMC likes this.
  12. I have a Newport in my '59 and it works well, I was able to use the stock wiper switch on the dash.

jakespeed63 likes this.