Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg carbs......I think

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by luckylou, Jul 2, 2020.

1. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello fellow Hambers can someone help me ID these carbs please, I'm stumped paint is so thick I can't see any numbers . Has Ford logo on fuel bowl

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Holley 94... Strombergs are different... Holley 94s have the fuel inlet in the top lid, the Strombergs have the fuel inlet in the fuel bowl itself, below the lid. carb3.jpg

3. ^^^^^^As found on many Ford flat head V8's from the factory.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Big Duece ,is right,they are Ford 94 made by Holley,but as far as I know they were a design by Stromberg, there are a few number size type that have same outer look with other size butterflys an ventures. I was told 81 is smallest one. The pic from big duece is 97

KREATIVEKUSTOMS, loudbang and F-ONE like this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Dana,
    It was Chandler and Groves.
    Whether Chandler and Groves had an affiliation with Stromberg, I know not.

loudbang, flatford39 and dana barlow like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I thought Chandler and Groves first made them , then Holley started building them for Ford to keep up with demand. Could be wrong , but I didn’t think Stromberg had any part in it.

flatford39, big duece and clem like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you dig deeply into the history of these carburetors, you will find how penurious Henry Ford could be.

Kind of a 1930's version of "Speedy Bill".:rolleyes:

stillrunners likes this.
  8. clem

clem

that's what I thought, although I read somewhere that Holley made them, not to keep up with demand, but because they supplied them for 10 cents a piece cheaper........ Who really knows ?

loudbang likes this.
  9. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

Thank you guys and thanks for a small history lesson

loudbang likes this.
  10. Holley 94's, The one on the left is the later 8BA variant. It uses an external power valve, it can be seen sticking out the back of the base, If you put up pictures of the other side maybe we can help some more.

upload_2020-7-3_8-51-4.png

loudbang likes this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If it’s 8BA it’s very late ‘52-‘53.
    94’s in Shoeboxes and likely F1s with the 8RT used 94s with the internal spark that the distributor advance screwed into the back of the carburetor.

Likely that’s a overhead valve version....Y block.

You’ll find through ‘56 there’s hundreds of versions and configurations of these.

Ford ‘94 is pretty much a nickname. Holley called these 2100s and also their unrelated replacement still made by Holley today.

12. 54vicky

54vicky

that is not a power valve it is part of spark control works in conjunction with distributor.

clem likes this.
  13. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

I will take pictures of the other side tommorow... I don't understand why they used to different 94s for this dual carb setup.. I want to use this setup but don't know if it's going to be a headache .

14. clem

clem

It’s also possible that you have a larger bore carb there. Some were actually 1 & 1/16” bore ( used on mid to late ‘50s one motors ? ). - verses the original .94” which is where the term Holley 94 comes from.
    Most have the size on the carb.
    If so, on fixed linkage you should have two identical carbs. Not so important with progressive linkage.

about 17 variants of the Holley .94 from memory, - I may be wrong though.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  15. clem

clem

I think it’s a spark arrestor. Often mistaken as what you said. Power valves were all internal.

16. clem

clem

Sizing shown here........
    1 & 1/16 on left .94” on right.
    Not physically larger, just a deceptive camera angle. - poor photography.

B5D918DA-AB2D-40E0-80F0-F45E9C2199A8.jpeg

kadillackid likes this.
  17. carbking

carbking

The carburetors are type AA-1 two-barrel carburetors. These were originally produced by the Chandler Groves Carburetor Company. They are not Strombergs. Chandler Groves eventually became a division of Holley.

There is some connection from Stromberg to Chandler Groves, as the very earliest Chandler Grove carburetor used some stock Stromberg parts. An example would be the earliest Chandler Grove fuel valve (a.k.a. needle and seat assemble) was Stromberg. While I have some "hearsay" as to the connection, I cannot prove it, so will not "parrot" the hearsay.

There are MAJOR design differences in the C-G model AA-1, and the Stromberg EE-1. Probably the greatest difference is in the power circuit. The Stromberg EE-1 power valve, constructed of brass, and a spring, was located in the bottom of the bowl, and fed passage-ways that intersected with the main metering jets. Thus the power system augmented the main system, and ALL of this fuel was delivered through the main discharge nozzles.

Contrast the above with the power system in the AA-1 (C-G). The power valve in the AA-1 is a spring-loaded diaphragm, in a zinc-alloy valve, located in the bottom of the bowl. But the important difference is in the discharge of the fuel. Whereas the Stromberg valve discharges through the main discharge nozzles, the AA-1 valve has a passage below the valve, connected directly to the intake manifold. A backfire can blow the diaphragm, and the AA-1 will just leak into the intake. This is the carburetor directly responsible for the term "leaking down".

Lots of folks refer to all type AA-1's as"94's", as the early AA-1's did have a 94 cast on the bowl, the 94 referring to 0.94 inch venturi size. Later AA-1, also erroneously called 94's, had a 1 inch venturi, and some of the latest had a 1 1/16 inch venturi. There are quite a few different type AA-1 carbs, I have 82 listings in my database.

Of course, lots of folks also erroneously refer to ALL Stromberg EE-1's as 97, because some of the Ford versions (only) has a 97 on the side of the bowl. Not that I object to the generalization, always nice to buy Auburn carburetors at Ford prices, because the seller mis-advertised the unit.

Jon.

clem and loudbang like this.
  18. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

image.jpeg So 1 carb has the number 94 on it and the other looks like a number 1. And her is a pic of the other side

19. clem

clem

Probably the 1 refers to a 1” bore. Is it in the same spot as my photos show ?

carb on left in your pic seems to say Model 7RT.

20. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

It's on the back of the carb I will take a pic of the back side as well