Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time to let go of that coveted/rare part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Mar 29, 2020.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Anyone know what the "Proper" amount of time is to ask about parts & cars after someone passes? I did feel like dirt handing a business card across a closed coffin to the sister of a friend inside it. They were happy I helped them get rid of the lifetime collection. Bob

pkhammer likes this.
  2. RT468

RT468

In the one instance I mentioned it was like 4mos after the gentleman's death. I was not that close to him in comparison to others. Apparently some of his friends were aware of his death and pondered the same issue. Being out of the immediate circle I was apparently the 1st to make an offer. I went by what I had inferred from the situation and what I paid wasn't much but was a gamble. It was posed as such when the offer was made for the parts. I stated that absolute best case scenario some parts could be worth a substantial amount or could be scrap after spending money to verify condition. A lot has been begrudgingly scrapped because my thoughts were spot on,what were good parts poorly stored weren't worth saving. On the fence about 1 block,1 intake and a set of heads. If I gamble a fair amount of money I could end up well ahead. Or end up with rare casting numbers to look at that are useless because of condition.

The37Kid likes this.
  3. pkhammer

pkhammer

How about sending out sympathy cards that read:
    Sorry to hear (insert name) has bit the dust,
    please call me to buy his rust.

billy_badass1979 likes this.
  4. RT468

RT468

I guess what I wanted to say is sometimes,you're in the right place at the right time with enough degrees of separation to approach the subject. Timing and nature of the relationship does play heavily in to things. Having met some of the deceased's friends after the fact I almost wish timing had been different and they had 1st dibs.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

Boy be careful. My mother always said "But for the grace of God, there go I....."

6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I wish I had something rare to sell!

Essentially I have 2 hobby cars, one a cruiser and one a race car. My garage and shed got to the point where I could hardly walk through them and the cars didn't run. I keep going through my shed, I sell what I can, but I've scrapped quite a bit of stuff I've saved over the years that I've come to the conclusion I'll never use and there seems to be no market for. It's hard to get rid of something that I know I paid good money for, I can usually even remember how much and where I got it.

These days, if it isn't aimed at one of the cars I currently own with a specific plan to use it, that part can go. I'm fortunate, my oldest son followed me into the hobby and career professionally as well. He can identify what my stuff is, and my wife's no fool either, but doesn't have the knowledge of it like he does. He'll end up with whatever is left when I'm gone. Right now just want the space and cash for parts I don't intend to use.

Devin

6inarow likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I had a friend that was sort of a car guy. He always had big ideas and plans with something he would buy. Then he would collect parts and trinkets he thought would look cool on his new ride. Unfortunately, often his lack of ability and tools would end the dreams, and the project often ended up at a local junk yard, traded for the next big dream.

I was one of the guys that did my best to help him at least be able to drive a few of his dream cars a little before they went away. I often did some things for him at 1/4 or 1/2 my normal shop rate, just to help him out. There was another guy that often overcharged him to cobble something together that might last a short time.

After my friend passed away, his wife and son had me and the other guy come over to take anything we might want from my friends collection. We were both informed that I had 1st choice, anything I wanted would be mine. Its hard to tell someone's loved ones that there wasn't much in his collection I really wanted, but I did take a few things just to remember my friend. I did point out a few things of value that could probably be sold pretty easily. The other guy was willing to load up everything onto his truck, and he had quite a load going on when I left.

My friends son quickly figured out what the other guy was up to and decided there were some things of some value he would keep. I did see the son a few weeks later and he thanked me for pointing out things they could sell. He and his mother made a couple hundred dollars selling that stuff that the other guy would have taken for himself.

I don't have a lot of stuff left anymore. After I finish my current project, I think there is going to be a lot of scrap hauled out of here. I will offer it to my son and to my grandson, and I suspect they will take some of it, but the rest will get scrapped. Most of the stuff here that might be of interest would be a royal pain to ship and a bigger pain to find someone that would want it. I'm not going to deal with it. Gene

6inarow likes this.
  8. I am thinning my stash as well. If I went today Lavin would have no idea what to do and my dad would be stuck trying to peddle the goods. Just how in the world do you value NASCAR roof flaps?

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a list of the good stuff and prices as well. my wife and kids know how to deal with it. I have known of guys who passed way with lots of high dollar items. I didn't know them that well and did not want to even approach the issue. The supposed friends swooped in like buzzards.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Only if they came from your favorite driver.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I went to a garage sale years ago and I guess the friend of the deceased was helping the widow. Well there is a ‘66 Mustang fastback with a rebuilt drivetrain in it. I asked how much ( should have asked the widow) he whispered his son bought for a great price. Turned my stomach.

olscrounger likes this.
  13. Jeebus, that more than I paid. These were for air brakes on my Bonneville Lakester, no actual reason to sell them

No idea whose car these are from anyway.

14. fegsta

fegsta

That's so true I'm 61 my eldest is 35 the only two pieces of mine he would keep are my motor bikes to him the rest is junk. I'm hope full my daughter and her three boys would look after the rest and look after it, you no the smile on the face doesn't tell the story. That's why I would like to leave built and running cars so they maybe keepers or sold as inheritance.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app