Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do we ship it or sell it or save it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Hi Fellow Hambers

The governor has bill on his desk and if both houses approve it and he signs it into law our early incentive to retire could happen this year...so in Jan of 2023 I might be able to move the NE Kansas to be closer to my son and his family...I am currently 1300 miles East of where I want to land when I retire...I currently have a project 40 Ford jalopy in the shop getting a roll cage recreated...once it gets back to my garage I want to get a motor installed and then I am not sure what I want to do with it really...

My wife is staying in the house we are currently in...so...what do I do with the Jalopy??

1) Pack it all up and ship it 1300 miles to Kansas??
    2) Sell it??
    3) Save it for when I come back in the summer months??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

MikeC DSCN5327.JPG

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you are coming back only for the Summer months , you will have more time in Kansas to work on it! Load it on a U-haul Tralee and take it with you!

Bones

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. RMONTY

RMONTY

Drop it off in North Texas on your way.....you don't want that ol' thing following you around.......Ill be happy to dispose of it for you....

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  4. When in doubt, sell it on. By your own admission you really don't know what you're going to do with it, so why keep it or move it. Money stores easier, and the haul is lighter too.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not nearly enough info to help you decide what to do? Will you have a place to work on it in Kansas? Will you need a winter project when you're there? Will you have time and money, plus initiative, to finish it once you haul that far?
    I've always started projects with a pretty complete idea of what I wanted to end up with, so every project would move with me! But I've also not spent time in two places during the year. I'd have a tough time being away from an active build!

6. BJR

BJR

So you and the car want to leave and the wife stays.... I am guessing things are not going well on the home front. From someone who has been there, take the car with you. You will want it to work on to keep you busy, while the rest of your life goes to hell.

7. flatford39

flatford39

What' the bill about that is causing you to consider this. Car related???

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to take a shot in the dark here but I gotta believe that ANY tin you find in Kansas will be way better than what your working with there! I came from the North East and I know you work with what you got but... sell it and start with something a little better when you get there. Less head ache.

texasred and loudbang like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that 1971BB427 covered all the bases in post 5.
    Will you have the place, time and most important initiative to work on it in Kansas during the winter months. Or in the summer when you return to Ny for that matter.

loudbang likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nooooooo..... I don’t need it :oops:

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, your in the process of building something that you don't know what your going to do with when your done. Then your moving 1300 miles away, but you may return for a few months in the summer. While your 1300 miles away, your wife is staying at the old place. Hmmmmm. The whole deal sounds like a disaster to me.

Sell the car that you don't know what to do with it when its done. I'd sell it before you leave. Then buy something you will know what you will do with when it gets done, after you and your wife figure out how long you and her will be apart. I would stop the cage construction immediately, until you figure out what your decision is. It will be easier to sell without the cage.
    I wish you luck with your situation. Gene

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A lot of work ahead . If I was closer I would build it as a street legal dirt modified .:cool:

13. grdra1

grdra1

If you dont need the money or the space, keep it, you can always think about it and decide later. Glen

14. clem

clem

By my maths, you have 2 & 1/2 years to finish it, so you can drive it there.........

5window, XXL__ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Mike, why not build it as a race car and run with us during the summer. It's less then an hour drive from Mechanicvile to Fonda, Malta, or Lebanon Valley.:D

upload_2020-7-2_6-17-2.png

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Mike,
    It’s a neat project.
    A Jalopy Racer can be as primitive or refined as you like.
    Whatever jurisdiction....you need to find out if it’s legal and what you have to do to get it tagged.

Other than that......

It’s in the realm of your own personal business.

17. No one can give you an answer to such a personal question. That is solely your decision to make.

southerncad and egads like this.
  18. SR100

SR100

Lots of assumptions being made here, so I'll add another, possibly equally false.:rolleyes:
    It is just as likely that his wife has not been offered a buyout, so, being financially prudent, she is working until she can retire. So he has a place to live during the summers there.
    Lot of stuff we don't know, like how much space/what kind of tools you have in NY or KS, so its tough to make a good recommendation. The back end of the car is pretty rough, in KS it probably won't be worth its NY value plus the cost of hauling it. If you have the welding/bodywork chops to repair it, then consider keeping it. If you're going to sell it, sell it before retiring and save the money to buy a Midwest car.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

money can not be a problem if they can afford two houses, and keep one of them just sitting empty part of the year. Plus, enough shop room & tools at both locations to work on & store stuff.

20. indyjps

indyjps

Trade it for a done car. Drive that wherever you are. Dont need a full shop for a done car, opens up your housing options in the new spot.

21. 5window

5window

Well, it's good to have a plan. You have a lot of planning to do. It's 2 1/2 years until you retire, so you have some time, maybe.

The first question is none of our business, but why are you moving 1300 miles away from your wife? Marital troubles, work situations, health reasons? Whatever the cause, 1300 miles will put stress changes on your relationship. Maybe you should put the car on hold while you are talking to a councilor about this. Again, not our business, but a fundamental issue. Is your son's family set long-time in Kansas? It wouldn't be the first time a parent moved to be close to his kids and they in turn had to more for jobs,etc.

Second, what are you going to do in Kansas? Another job, another house? You can't just hang out with the grandkids- they'll grow up and leave you alone. It will happen to every grandfather.Where you will live, what you will do, who will be your friends, your house of worship, your doctor? There are going to be a lot of changes. Upstate NY on the Hudson is a lot different from Kansas, Dorothy.

Third, the car. If you have no plans, why are you spending money on it? Does it have a title? Will it be able to get the title transferred? Do you have the skills to work on it or do you have the spare cash to pay someone to finish it? If you're going to sell it, do it in NY (potentially more buyers) than Kansas. If you're not set on it, it's just a car, there's another bit to figure out. From the pics, it looks like a lot of work. And, each modification will make it more your idea and not necessarily something that will add to the case of making it saleable. Whew!

Best of luck.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.