Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto Trans Shifters Whats Really Best

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Country Joe

Country Joe

I liked the B&M Quick Silver. Had a heavy, solid feel to it.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. RmK57

RmK57

I'd be looking for a pistol grip shifter if I had a Mopar. Probably the best looking shifter to ever come out of Detroit. At least the handle part of it.

3. ken bogren

ken bogren

I have the Mustang style in my 61 F100 and really dislike it. The shifter is way to shot for the application, down below the top of the seat cushion.

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Shon Wittenbarger

Shon Wittenbarger
    from Georgia

Yes, the Quick Silver does have a good feel to it. It's smooth and ratchets well, and has stops. Don't buy a Hurst Auto Stick 3, I bought one instead of the Quick Silver big mistake. It never did feel right and it and it would go from first to third if you weren't careful. You can't beat a Hurst 4 speed shifter, but the automatics are junk. I like a stick car better anyway.

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Okay so installed my vintage Mr Gasket ratchet shifter, basically roughed in. It works great after a bunch of tweaking.
    I need a cover and boot or some type of fabbed cover. To make everything all purdy lookin.
    On my 904 trans it has built in wiring for backup lights and neutral safety switch.
    The neutral safety switch works in conjunction with the starter relay.
    Both function as they should.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and bchctybob like this.
  6. Blake 27

Blake 27

I agree with "Blue One" regarding the neutral safety switch, however I decided I wanted a backup light.
    My RPU has some serious blind spots when running a top and I also occasionally drive at night. I need all the help I can get!
    Gennie Shifter supplied a bracket that bolts on using the pan bolts and I built a simple bracket that uses the shift lever bolt to mount and used 1.JPG 2.JPG 2-1.JPG 3.JPG the same neutral safety switch. I used a small button head bolt to depress the switch when in reverse.
    If your used to driving a car with a automatic column shift, the Gennie Shifter feels completely natural
    (the exact same shift pattern and lockouts).

1Nimrod and bchctybob like this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The awesomeness of this is beyond words.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ and they are fun to design and build.
    I’m gonna build my own shifter for the 4 spd hydro in my roadster to look correct for the ‘63-65 period. I have an old Ansen and a No-name from that period I can try to adapt or maybe I’ll make my own version of the B&M step type like Jim did.
    I just don’t see any automatic shifters I like these days.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

It appears some transmission require a neutral safety and reverse light on shifter.
    My Chrysler 904 both switches built into trans.
    The neutral safety works with the starter relay.
    Simple and effective.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Ford had the switches in a unit on the side of the transmission, starting in the mid 60s. GM never did...they were always on the column or floor shifter. Mopar had the neutral switch in the case on the earlier torqueflites, and added the back up switch in the late (?) 60s. It's easier to deal with an aftermarket shifter that way...but the switch is one more leak point, later on.

1Nimrod likes this.