Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sid Chavers Bop Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodtodd1960, Jul 2, 2020.

1. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Living in Bakersfield Ca. it gets pretty HOT in the summer and the sun is cooking what I have left for brains when i'm driving . So I'm looking into getting a Sid Chavers Bop Top for my 29 A roadster , anybody running one ? Pro's or Con's thanks in advance

Lil32, 31hotrodguy and dana barlow like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Always thought a Sid Chavers was the top of the line. No pun intended.

3. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

bought this one used. it has been very good. stays on over 100.
    new musem 008 (2).jpg trip to Emette 005.JPG thumbnail.jpg

4. Ya can't go wrong with a Sid top.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have one on my Deuce Roadster and I really like it. The only problem I have with the top is, that I really like the way my car looks with the top on the car and don't take it off.

6. Bop Top is the beans. I really like mine!

7. They ain't cheap but they sure are nice and as mentioned earlier they are the top of the line! HRP

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I see some one said they did 100mph+ with a rag top up?, I guess,but really the risk is too great,even for a factory new car,that passed being not smart if it happened. But on thought #2,if you got $$$$$ out your *$%^&# sure I'd like to see that from two lanes over an a bit ahead of ya. The pic's of those tops do look great !

Lil32 likes this.
  9. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I’d like to see the Model a version of that top myself.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. A few years back one of the fellas in Europe bought one and it leaked like a sieve. There was a real row on the board and I guess Sid or someone pretending to be Sid got on the thread. Lots of excuses and blame passing went on. I don't know if it was ever made right.

That is the only bad I have ever heard about one though.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a plethora of Sid tops at L.A. Roadster show 4 years back, most had the new cantilever opening 'backlight' (Hollywood back window)
    Yes, $$$. Top quality, like everything Sid does.
    He once explained to me his 'stitcherie': 5 stitches per inch, checked at 10". Perfection.

Lil32, 31hotrodguy and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I made side curtains for mine (another story) and have been is some pretty torrential rainstorms and mine doesn't leak at all.

Lil32, 31hotrodguy and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  13. Rodders

Rodders

I have one on my 32 great top

Lil32 and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  14. Helped my boss build one a few years ago for his A roadster, came out way better than a Boptop for a fraction of the money. There are pics posted on here somewhere.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. hudson48

hudson48

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

That cantilever rear window is a $995 option.

Lil32 likes this.
  17. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

The one on my 32 is 18 yrs. old. Still looks like the day it was bought.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A rear window about $1000 really !
    Sorry, but I knew my low buck side could pop out, if I kept looking in on this top thread.
    If ya got those bucks,go get one. I'm sure it's better then my home made one below pic..
    If your looking for how to make your own low $ top,I did a tech years ago about my way, it can be done at home on any roadster. :: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688

[​IMG]
    My rear window opens not as classy,just roll up n snap. I do enjoy looking at big $$$ stuff,an very good work,but my own has to be "Do It Your Self" at home. The folding top I showed how to build,cost time,but under $ 150 in materials.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

I ve installed three of the,the last one we chopped the frame and had a top sewn for it locally,all three cane out great, I would nt expect them to be water tight but really if that's what someone expects buy a coupe.

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

21. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Last I checked he only makes them for deuces.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32, dana barlow and 6inarow like this.
  22. Nope ...

From Sid @Hotrodstitcher Chavers' website:

The Sid Chavers Company is pleased to offer one of the most exciting and useful products to hit the Hot Rod scene in years.

First made available to the public in May of 2000, the BopTop™ has been praised by both the Press and Car Owners as possibly the most innovative accessory to be introduced in the last 20 years.

Bop Top (a).jpg Bop Top (b).jpg Bop Top (c).jpg
    BopTop (1).jpg BopTop (2).jpg BopTop (3).jpg
    The BopTop™ is a lightweight Convertible Top available for the 1928-29 and 1932 Ford Roadsters that can be removed, broken down, and stored in the trunk of the car while using very little space.

There are many models of the BopTop™ available; these include versions for Stock Windshields with 2" and 3" Chops, DuVall style frames, SoCal style frames, and also Dan Fink style frames. Please see below for specific models.

All versions of the BopTop™ use STOCK body mount locations; this means there are NO MODIFICATIONS required to the body. The specially designed frame does not contact the body at any point other than the mounts, assuring the owner there will be no contact that could damage the paint.

The BopTop™ styling evokes memories of the classic "Speedster" top updated with a modern feel that successfully compliments any look from Retro to Contemporary.

The Powder Coated Steel Frame is covered with Haartz Stayfast material that is extremely durable, holds its shape, and will not fade. Each BopTop™ is shipped with a HotSlot rear window already installed.

The BopTop™ is available in the following colors:

BopTop (colors).jpg
    When installed, the BopTop™ provides protection from the elements, but when you do not need or want a top in place, it is easily removed, broken down and stored in the Custom Soft-sided Cases that are included. Removal may not be as often as you think for the lines of the BopTop™ are so elegant and timeless you may decide the car looks better with the top installed!

If you want something special for your favorite car, there's only one BopTop™.

The Sid Chavers Company offers the BopTop in the following versions:

1932 Ford Roadsters
    • Stock Windshields with 2" and 3" Chops
    • DuVall Windshields
    • SoCal Windshields
    • Dan Fink Windshield Frames
    • Available with Removable Rear Curtain
    1928-29 Ford Roadsters
    • Stock Windshield with 2" Chop
    Prices
    • Standard Top $2,795
    • With Removable Rear Curtain $3,095
    • With Cool Slot Rear Window add $600
    Removable Rear Curtain

BopTop (4).jpg BopTop (5).jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    hotrodtodd1960 and dana barlow like this.
  23. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

dana barlow likes this.
  24. I'm almost positive that Billy B's 'Ol Blue '29 Hiboy is sporting a BopTop™:

Billy Burnham's Ol Blue '29 Hiboy with BopTop.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  25. I don't think so.

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My 30/31 "A" roadster was purchased from original buyer as an uncompleted rolling chassis Brookville complete with the available polished stainless frame and wooden header piece for above the 2" chopped windshield and "V cut" and rebrazed and rechromed posts for a windshield angled to rear.
    I have purchased but not yet installed the formed wooden strip that goes on top of the lip around rear of pass. cockpit for snaps. I'm assuming the laid back windshield posts will kill the fit of a Bop Top and so I'll have to have a top custom made to get one. I do have a couple of guys in my area capable of accomplishing the job, so if I ever get the car to a point that I'm satisfied with things mechanical, then that's the next project.
    Right now though, next up is a dual disc clutch in hopes of finding a clutch capable of holding my engine's power when the slicks are on it and still something I can handle on the street comfortably with a weak left foot and leg.

27. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So looking at this pic from Bop,I only see a lift off top that dose not fold down,an must take good amount of time too brake down to store in trunk or just store at home ?
    [​IMG]
    I liked the Bop look,but guess I never looked real close at design as I know it was way over my own piggy bank. Back when I was first just looking a top shapes around 7 +years ago, an all those making some, thinking about how much $ they all seemed to be.
    I had not looked deep enough to see Bop didn't fold down really. Kind of a Carson thing?
    My own need was a folding in place top that would go up or down fast,or come off EZ if left at home. The more I look around each time a top thread comes up,seems new stuff an idea are often in them an that's fun to see.
    I've enjoyed talking with a number guys about things they like an don't about top designs.
    One I talked too told me he loved the Bop design,as when it was off the 32,he didn't have any snaps showing around the back of cockpit.
    That was not even something I ever though was bad in anyway,but did show me how much we all think another way sometimes.
    My own thing was not snaps,but need to both fold down an look good when it was folded down. I admit that made it take me longer to come up with a home made design that did both. Why I did HAMB tech on doing it years ago.
    A photo from my homemade tech years ago of folded down.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...top-a-how-too-do-it-tech.857951/#post-9479688
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Lil32, hotrodtodd1960 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. 5window

5window

$3695 for rear side curtains and the rear window.. Really.

dana barlow likes this.
  29. 5window

5window

Here's that thread from 2011: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bot-top-is-this-a-joke.633726/page-3
    It sounds like the Mfg really tries to make it right. There's no follow up down the road, however.

dana barlow likes this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In answer to Dana's question. From what I have personally seen, the guys who run them leave the top on more often than not. There were a number of Cars that either had them or had real close resemblances to them at Deuce days and those guys pretty well kept the tops on the whole time they were at the event. A few might have pulled them off and set them in the motel/hotel rooms to run around without or for the Sunday show A bit like a 55/57 T bird hardtop you either run it or leave it at home for most guys.

Lil32, 31hotrodguy and dana barlow like this.