Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rod & Custom at Bonneville in 1954

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Rod & Custom at Bonneville in 1954

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was first drawn to the art on the cover, I am a lover of drop tanks. I crewed for the Redi Strip Special of Frank Oddo and John Hesford in the 90's and 2000's. And I have the start of one in my shop awaiting time and money.
    Some say roadsters are Bonneville, but to me its tanks.
    As for SpeedWeek, we are still a go and like the article in 1954 we are seeing a change in power plants.

Small 6's and fours are knocking on the door of 300 mph, the massively long streamliners are powered by single motors, Ed Umland is running a single 'junk yard' LS motors (not really junk yard) and has done over 400 mph. Motor cycle motors are being adapted to automotive class roadsters and streamliners. Computers being downloaded in the pits is a common as reading plugs and oil from the 50's.

On the way into work, without having read this I was thinking of contacting our friends in the Honda Industry to see if they have an extra OT 1000 HP blown 4 cylinder to achieve our goal of driving 200mph in our tank.....
    Horsepower moves on with the future....

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

What a great read! Long live the king indeed, the flathead still lives on.

4. [​IMG]

Good read, thanks for posting.

I have one of these in the rear window glass from my old 39 Ford convertible, the glass is cracked but I couldn't throw it away because of the decal, it definitely doesn't look this good.

Just seemed appropriate to the thread. HRP

chryslerfan55 and 302GMC like this.

5. Even after all of our talks on vintage motors for my car I am investigating the modern 4s and 6s

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Spence Murray hasn't received much recognition for the vast amount of work he did in the early days of our hobby.

chryslerfan55, Jive-Bomber and Tman like this.