Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buick V-6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vimtage Iron, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Anyone have a need for parts off of a V-6 Buick 198, complete but in pieces,I bought it like that and was gonna build it for a jeep, the block had a rod go thru it yrs earlier and had been patched, its been sitting for years heads, manifolds, intake and exhast look good, crank, cam and the rest are rusty, pistons and rods look ok, flywheel pressure plate clutch still together.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is that the one with the funky bellhousing bolt pattern?

v6.jpg

3. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I'll have to look at it Jim.

4. I believe the 198 Buick V6 is the odd fire and would have the early bell housing, the 231 Even fire has the conventional bolt pattern if I remember correctly.

I used a 231 in a Model A and that little car would keep up with all the V8's on the interstate.

5. squirrel

squirrel

The odd/even fire thing changed in 1977, long after the time of the 198.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’m pretty sure they went to the BOP bell housing pattern when the bore increase to the 225 that went into the Jeeps about 1966. Not much demand for the smaller engine unless it has an aftermarket 4 barrel intake manifold. Maybe someone could use the crank, but I expect the rest is unfortunately scrap iron.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Jim, it looks like the one you pictured, the 198 is the odd fire right along with the 225, yeah its mostly scrap iron but I wanted to toss it out there in case some one needed anything.
    Also a couple Ford 223's one complete ran when i pulled it but it was blowing water outa the keel cooler tubing I had in the tank on my water truck and the other is a short block, there heading to the scrap bin also.