Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New project: 56 Olds!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Nov 10, 2018.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

In keeping with the concept car theme, when I removed the gas door, I had to find a place for the filler. Thinking "56 Chevy" hiding it behind the tail light. But much cooler!
    https://youtu.be/tAaWAX4LLug

2. belair

belair

Now you're just showing off! You are crushing it.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Progress is slow, but sure. After getting the tail lights to move, I did the rest of the bodywork on the quarters. Got the back of the car in primer.
    Next, I pulled out the driver's side fender and door. My old boss had brazed in a patch panel at the bottom of the fender, overlapping the original steel. Since it was done about 30 years ago, it had rusted out again, due to the overlap holding in dirt and water. He also filled the trim holes. Unfortunately, he did so by putting a square piece of steel on top of the hole, and brazing around it. I had to drill out the holes almost to 1 inch to get rid of the overlap and brass. Then make some circles and TIG them in. 100_2022.JPG 100_2027.JPG 100_2028.JPG 100_2035.JPG 100_2042.JPG 100_2043.JPG

Stogy, Just Gary, brEad and 13 others like this.
  4. belair

belair

Wow- that's why you do it right the first time. Great work as always.

5. Loving this build!

6. Looks great Mark!
    If the repair lasted 30 years it lasted as long as the original vehicle did.

7. belair

belair

And yet its being done again.

8. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Just seen this thread,now that is cool! Great work and good ideas,looking forward to following this

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Well, the first 30, it was used as a regular car, probably stored outside. When the PO bought it, he used it more or less as a weekend car, as most of us do. So the repair failed prematurely, Ian, if you ask me, being stored inside most of the time! While I learned to do work with brass first, I taught myself to use the MIG when it came out, and stopped using brass a long time ago. And definitely no overlapping panels! You and I know this, but I emphasize this to HAMBers that are new to this, or haven't done bodywork, and look for advice.

Stogy, brEad, R A Wrench and 6 others like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

This just keeps getting cooler with every new post!!

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Quick assembly of the newly primered panels to see how it looks before I pull the body off. Also checking out the look of the 56 "98" side trim I'm piecing together (still need about 3 pieces). KIMG0133.JPG

40two, Stogy, LOST ANGEL and 25 others like this.
  12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

A. Maz. Ing. This project is just the best!

13. Looking great!!!

14. belair

belair

Good heavens. That's amazing.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Time to go backward! 100_2079.JPG 100_2080.JPG

Stogy, LOST ANGEL, mgtstumpy and 12 others like this.
  16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Blasted the frame, primed with Master Series silver, and a couple coats of their gloss black. Didn't like the glossiness, so I sanded and covered it with SEM Hotrod Black, a satin urethane. Much better. Started the rebuild. I wanted to use the 76 Impala rear I got, but it was too wide. I really liked the 12 inch 'Police package' brakes, so I re-worked the backing plates from the Impala, to fit the Olds rear. A set of Jamco 4" drop leafs, 2 in. lowering blocks, 100_2151.JPG KYB gas shocks, and all grade 8 hardware

Stogy, LOST ANGEL, brEad and 11 others like this.
  17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

40two, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Congratulations! A well-deserved bit of recognition in front of a new audience.

19. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Really like this one

Stogy, firemangordy, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Update: I got the chopped Lincoln to the point where I will try to sell it, so the Olds is coming back in the shop. In the meantime, in between cursing Henry Ford, I managed to get the complete front and rear end put together on the Olds chassis. Put on KYB gas shocks, Addco rear swaybar, ran gas and brake lines, etc. But the big job was this:
    I had the idea that it might be really cool to upgrade the exhaust. Well, if duals are better than a single exhaust, then QUADS must be better than duals!
    I started with Ebay SS headers. Of course for a lowered car, they hung down too much, so first order was to shorten them by almost 2 inches. This caused interference with the oil filter, and A frame mounts, so cutting a replacing parts of the tubes were in order. I also wanted to pair up cylinders farthest apart in the firing order. One side worked out OK, but the other I cut one tube out completely, and reran it to match with the proper tube.
    Being a 50's custom guy, I love Brockman Mellowtone mufflers. I ordered 4 steel packs form them, and cut off 1/2" on each side, welded in a separation plate, then welded 2 together. Once in place, i used straight and mandrel bent tubing, as well as water jetted flanges (Thank you again for making these, Chappy444!), to put together the system. I had to widen the openings in the chassis crossmember, to fit the side by side pipes. 1 3/4" tubing, with 1 inch spacing in between (that's why I had to cut the mufflers). One side is done, now I have to duplicate it on the other!
    I can't do the rest of it until I put the body back on, with the gas tank in place, but I can't wait to hear it!
    100_2180.JPG 100_2203.JPG 100_2209.JPG 100_2233.JPG 100_2234.JPG 100_2235.JPG

40two, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 12 others like this.
  21. Bringing this back to the top hoping there is an update.

Stogy, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

100_2293.JPG 100_2262.JPG 100_2264.JPG 100_2271.JPG Well, having some other projects in the shop slows work on my own car, of course! I pushed the Lincoln back to the house garage, to brind the Olds body back in. Frame is just about finished. I have to cut out some gaskets for the exhaust system, and knock down the welds a bit. And, waiting (forever) for the parking brake cables to come in. Seems the "police package" 12 in. drums use a special cable, it doesn't have the usual 'snap in' mounting on the backing plate. It has a bolt on piece. Ordered it in July from both Rock Auto and Summit Racing, but they keep pushing off the shipping dates.
    The body is on the rotisserie, fixing the rust issues on the floor, building a body mount or 2. Then on to building a framework for the cargo area floor. Cutting out the spare tire well (as the tire would stick up into the flat area of the floor, laying the tire flat, using part of the old well area for the battery, and storage, and making a hinged floor to cover it all.
    I can't wait until the body goes back on the frame!

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

While Glen is working on putting his engine together, I had some time on the Olds-Mad. I used some 3/4" square tubing to build a frame to support the cargo area floor. They used 1/2" tubing to frame the floor panels. Two of them, hinged to fold on each other. Rolled some beads in for support. Not sure what i will cover them with, but I'm leaning toward using a 50's design linoleum, with half round stainless rub strips, similar to the bars on the Nomad tailgate. Also working on making "pockets" out of fiberglass for the area between the new cargo floor and the back of the quarter panel, for storage.
    The spare tire fits nicely, flat under the new cargo floor, and the old spare well will house the battery and probably a small tool box. 100_2307.JPG 100_2308.JPG 100_2312.JPG 100_2314.JPG

40two, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 15 others like this.
  25. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Very nice work!

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Cut out the stock spare tire well, and put in a larger one, for the battery and tools. Fixed the rusty sections of the floor, and rewelded some of the PO's patches, too. Moved one gas tank support, so I could use a 56 Chevy gas tank. Lots of cutting and welding to make the new filler tube, though. New rubber between wheel wells and quarters, POR-15 and undercoat on the floor, and back on the chassis! 100_2385.JPG 100_2395.JPG 100_2382.JPG 100_2398.JPG 100_2401.JPG

27. v8flat44

v8flat44

W O W...A W E S O M E !!! Till seeing this The Pontiac was my fave......Slap a 57 J-2 in there and .........
    A M A Z I N G.

28. klilek

klilek

I can't wait to see updated pics!!!

Stogy likes this.
  29. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

If the rot repair lasted “THIRTY YEARS “ plus or minus by the Old Boss,that’s pretty damn good considering he brazed it. I just gave a truck away as a graduation present to my grandson. Twenty seven years ago I brazed all the rot and bondo it in and painted with “Single Stage” It’s failing in some areas do to drainage or lack of. Sitting outside in the elements twenty seven years “BRAZING “ can’t be all bad .

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  30. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

That is what makes the ride ! dream it , do it , and drive it ! Don't stop believing , Tim

Stogy likes this.