Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flaming my Bird(tbird)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jun 30, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

Always wanted to try flames on my car. So I got a pair of decals. The decals had a white background, so I had to cut them out with a sissors. Then I used the cut out paper for a template on the hood. Traced it out with a marker and brushed it with yellow. I still need to get some orange and maybe blue accents on the begining and tail of the flames. I also have a air brush I want to tryout. Be gentle, this is my first time!!

Attached Files:

2. Cool car

The wheel well flames look neat

The hood not so much, maybe if you did the complete leading edge ?

nice flame job for brush paint!

wraymen, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm not a flames guy, but agree the hood flames don't look as good as the wells...

But hey, if you're happy we're happy for you. It's your ride my man. Do what YOU want with it!

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,

That is a nice T-Bird that you have. The stock look has always been a favorite classic of most everyone. Your T-Bird is a classic with its place in automotive history. I am sorry to say that those little yellow flames as nice as you cut them out, are out of place. They look like decals from a model car kit that was put on the side of a real sports car.

Even though you went through all of the trouble of cutting them out, using the left over stencil as your pattern, it just was/is not the right size for your T-Bird. Perhaps on the side of a little red wagon, but not a life size car.

upload_2020-6-30_5-40-45.png

You are on the right track. It is just a little too small for a real car. The real flame guys have a "stencil" once they hand paint the overall design, tape, mask off the whole areas and then cut out the area to be sprayed, like a stencil.

Jnaki

I like flames since trying to draw them as a little kid. Over the years some of them look good on paper. I have tried, as well as possible, to hand letter and do some pinstripe flames on a real fender. I have used fine tip water markers for the preliminary outlines, in case of mistakes. I started to use my real pinstriping brush that has some history, but it just did not look good. It is a little frustrating and also intimidating to try it on a real car.

If I want flames, I will have someone local that is a professional do those pinstripe flames. In So Cal, there are a ton of good flame painters and artists within a short driving distance. I am sure you should not have any problems finding a local pinstripe guy/girl in your area.

Don't be disappointed... Those dinky flames just do not go with your classic T-Bird.

hidez57 and texasred like this.

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It definitely looks like 50's flames when they were a new style and there was no definition of how they "should be".

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

The hood looks like stickers , spread it out like was said. the side looks woodpeckerish .

loudbang likes this.
  7. missysdad1

missysdad1

Such a nice car...such a horrible thing to do to it. Just my opinion.

Flathead Dave, X38, Kiwi 4d and 3 others like this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

You should be ashamed of yourself doing that to such a 'classic/really cool body lines' car! IMO.
    IF......you decide to "flame it" I would save up the $$$ and get the right size and right "look" flames painted on by a pro (if need be).
    Doing flames is NO EZ task. For one....there are many/many types of flame jobs and its not a one-size-fits-all deal.
    Nice try but..........NOT!!
    6sally6
    PS......Don't be too hard-on yourself, I couldn't have done any better!
    Like I said before.............it needs a pro to do it and look really trick.

Desoto291Hemi and Flathead Dave like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

When I did flames I layed out the whole area with 2" tape, free hand my flames, cut the tape out, come back with 1/8" blue fine line tape and walked the edges of the flames with it then scuff and paint.

Hate templates.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. If you really want flames , stickers are not the way to go, they look like stickers.

Get some thin tape and lay them out, when your happy cover the area you don't want painted with paper and spray your main color, then go back and over spray with another contrasting color, remove the paper & tape and pinstripe with Blue one shot.

It's not that hard , it just take time to lay it out, Good luck.

BTW, there are a lot of video's on you tube .HRP

Flathead Dave likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

OK

No

x2
    a couple of pics for inspiration 20200630_111414.jpg 20200630_111632.jpg 20200630_110834.jpg

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I too wanted flames but didn't want them to over take the look of the car so I had my buddy pin stripe them on. Just a few ideas. 538.jpg 260.jpg 359.jpg DSC00957.JPG

Attached Files:

Elcohaulic, catdad49 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. birdman1

birdman1

thanks for all the nasty coments! (kidding) only person that i care who likes my flames are my 10 year old grandson and 12 year old grand daughter!! they think they'er "COOL". I do have a quart of red paint to cover it up when I finally realize you are all correct, I can't paint flames.thanks, stay safe.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20200630_142112.jpg 20200630_142322.jpg 20200630_142418.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. toml24

toml24

Then there is plan-B: Wraps.
    Find a business that specializes in business trucks and automotive wraps and have a talk with them. Could be worth your time to at least look into it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. 6sally6

6sally6

NO you can't.............but neither can I!!
    My hat is off to those that can. I just don't see how they can get them uniform on both sidez.
    Just some good old fashion HAMB 'ribbing' here!
    Funny how much 'influence' those grandz can have!!
    6sally6

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Get some 1/8” vinyl pinstripe tape and lay your flames out how you want them. If they don’t look right, peel and redo until you get the look you want. Use a contrasting color like white on the red car. You might like the looks of them just like that, and when you get tired of them just peel them off. I did a hood on a Chevy Caprice I owned, they looked pretty good, got a lot of compliments.

catdad49 likes this.
  18. jaracer

jaracer

On the race car, the nose was always yellow, but we started with white paint. Lay out the flames on the white base with 1/4 in tape. Then we masked the top part of the flames and painted the yellow. I didn't have an air brush so I mixed a little yellow and red and lightly fogged the yellow tips of the flames. Next step was to un-mask the top of the flames, mask off the yellow part and paint the rest of the hood red. Pull off the masking and finally the 1/4 in tape. You end up with flames outlined with a 1/4 in of white. 11FrontUp.jpg

birdman1 and catdad49 like this.
  19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You guys crack me up. The guy did what 90% of us did when we were kids, either on model cars or our first beater. Had to make it unique. Making 90 cents an hour delivering pizzas didn't permit buying even masking tape and spray cans of paint.

I think the decal flames are entirely period correct. And if the grand kids like it, discussion ended.

20. catdad49

catdad49

All done with 1/16" pinstriping tape. Time consuming, but I liked it! IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0389.JPG IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

ramblin dan and jnaki like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hey C,

Very nice job with the dinky tape. I have worked with those small size tapes on cars, skateboards, R/C Cars, and surfboards. It is not an easy thing to use or make as permanent as possible. Add in the curves and odd shapes and it is/was a difficult thing. Your design is not an odd ball size or shape, just clean lines and flames. Kudos to you.

I also want to congratulate you on your T Bucket being symmetrical in design. A lot of T Buckets have similar bodies and they have a rake in the mounting position. Their motor and header arrangement then, is out of shape as it heads off into their own angle and has no symmetry. Yours has the super clean lines, stance and the look of a cool roadster. Yes, the sharp rake angle has been on many famous T Buckets, but, usually the headers and other suspension items seem out of place.
    upload_2020-7-1_7-9-42.png

Jnaki
    Again, nice build of a good design. It all flows together to make a cool hot rod. Be safe and "locked in place..."

catdad49 likes this.
  22. catdad49

catdad49

Junji, Thanks for the kind words. The look did not happen overnight, but I got it so I liked and it rode pretty nicely. The T had some features used in Chester Greenhalgh's How To Build a TBucket On A Budget book and I continued the theme with improvements over the years (I had it 12 yrs.). It wasn't the flashiest or the fastest, but it great lines. Hope you are doing well, Carp.

jnaki likes this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Flames that look like stickers don't do anything for a nice car.

jnaki likes this.
  24. j hansen

j hansen

If you want to go wild with your T-bird,,,,here is some inspiration from Sweden. Skärmavbild 2020-07-02 kl. 11.48.52.png Skärmavbild 2020-07-02 kl. 11.49.27.png

ramblin dan and catdad49 like this.
  25. about a year ago I tried laying some pinstripes on my Model A, looked like ass, then I rubbed them off.
    I'm just sayin'

26. birdman1

birdman1

Did some more work to the hood flames. Still need another coat of paint IMG_20200715_143048605_HDR.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and DIYGUY like this.
  27. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor