Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Restored verses Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 22, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Hotrod shows will allow stock cars in but try to get a hotrod in a show put on by restorers.

clem likes this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My brother put it best...
    What sucked then sucks now.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to disagree.
    I don't believe it's the same.

A lot of these "purists" think it's okay to share their unsolicited negative opinion about other types of builds that have don't have a lot in common with their numbers matching restorations.

You said it yourself... you wouldn't approach the owner simply to tell him that you don't like his car. I think most true hot rodders don't do that, either.

Desoto291Hemi, jimmy six and jim snow like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditional hot rodders definitely have opinions about other types of builds. But we mostly keep the discussion among ourselves.

We critique each other here, because hey... we're supposed to be at least trying to be traditional. Never freaking perfect... just the best we can do.

5. j3harleys

j3harleys

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    R A Wrench, jim snow and scotty t like this.
  6. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have a 65 Marlin. It is an off topic car here, prostreet, pink and black inside and out. It is a never rusted survivor that I built over 30 years ago. I could change it, but if I did it would no longer be the pink Rambler. It also has a BBC in it.

I also built a 34 Desoto Airflow coupe with a late model Chevy drivetrain, original paint and interior. I drove it everywhere, even the HAMB drags one year.

Anyone can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up.

Attached Files:

7. pumpman

pumpman

This topic will go on forever as long as there are two opinions, which I think is great. We are committed to preserve those GI’s coming home and looking for that rush they lived through for years. Other guys want to peacefully preserve a better time with their parents. I don’t blend well with them but I respect the same commitment we have that they pursue. The good thing is with both sides together we are keeping the dream going forward.

8. jim snow

jim snow

My response to them is.Well the alternative is that it would have been in a junkyard. That usually shuts them up . Snowman

i.rant, Desoto291Hemi and R A Wrench like this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I hate waste. I hate disrespect. I hate selfishness and destruction. I hate to see great things, great accomplishments torn down. I hate to those passionate accomplishments minimized. I really hate arrogant ignorance.

The best example I can give is what Boyd Coddington did to that 1927 Model T Coupe. There was no respect given to the efforts of the previous owner’s passion and labor of love. We need to respect things like that. Boyd did not care about that car. The old man did.

That whole thing was done for shock value. It would have been much easier and less work to find a good body and go from there.

On the other hand, in those episodes those boys found that Model A Truck, kept it intact and put a Flathead in it. Folks loved the truck and hated the T.

Building up on a good foundation laid by previous care and passion is one thing. Destroying the work of others just for the hell of it, is quite another. It’s waste.

My ‘51 is really in great condition. That car was really cared for. I respect that.

It’s not about the car....it’s about that respect. Respect for what it was, what it is and what it could be.

One thing I truly love about the HAMB is the respect for the cars and what they are.

Customs are not my thing and never have been. With that said, who does not like the Hirohito Mercury?
    As long as a customizer or hot rodder for that matter has that care, respect for the car and not arrogant ignorance it’s usually going to turn out well.

In closing.....

One cliche that’s often quoted that I despise....

“Anybody can restore a car. It takes a real man to cut one up.”

No Sir. I real man has that respect.

10. exterminator

exterminator

I am a hot rodder! Not a restorer by any means. I have taken a stock car and dropped a more modern drive train in the car so it would keep up with modern cars. Am I ashamed no. I would do it again in a heart beat. That's why I have a blower in my 4o pickup!:cool:

11. squirrel

squirrel

I spent the last 3 weeks doing a mechanical restoration (of sorts) on a 27 T coupe. I finally got to go for a drive this morning, what fun! I got up to 35 mph, which is an improvement from before I worked on it. I still haven't got out on the main road yet...I have to practice driving more first, and make sure I'm happy with how it's all working. But driving one stock, you can sure see why hot rodding the early cars is the way to go, if you want to get along in the modern world.

I plan to keep this one stock. There are plenty of other T bodies around to build rods out of. Whatever a future owner wants to do with this one is not up to me.

before01.jpg progress14.jpg

12. I can't see taking a COMPLETE car, reguardless of condition, and making it a Hotrod. Usuing an incomplete or parts car, makes more sense to me. But, sometimes it's great to start out with a complete car to avoid years of searching. I love both. It's streetrods I have no use for. Removing everything that made an old car great, getting rid of the chrome and stainless, and replacing with modern do-dads is bullshit! Cup holders, consols, power everything, etc...No thanks.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  13. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Some years ago, a friend & I had a 37 Ford two door sedan, registered & driving around the grounds. It had a later flat head & juice brakes & an old cheapo paint job. A solid survivor 50's or 60's ride. A spectator walked around it & commented " well, they sure butchered this one." We asked WHY ? He pointed out the 34 front bumper. That 37 was probably the closest to stock car on the fair grounds. He was just another opinionated ass hat.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The Model T dance.:)

15. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

I bought my car to drive. I'm in Europe. We have Autobahns and mountain passes. Trust me, a stock 260 Comet with 3 on the tree and single circuit drums all round will be fun only if you're a masochist. I'll let the originality fetishists do their stuff and I'll do mine (and laugh as I overtake the guy with the shiny Mustang struggling to do 70 MPH on an Autobahn where everyone breaks the 80 MPH speed limit regularly).

16. I'm in the how much is left camp. Meaning, if I buy a super clean stock vehicle (or restored) I would have a very hard time chopping it up. If I buy something in pieces (or in need of restoration) then it's ok as long as the original parts I don't use get another car back on the road. IF I do decide to alter a clean stock car, I do it in such a way that's it easy to put back to stock (and I try to keep the parts I took off for the next person). It's all about preservation to me, traditional hot rod or stock. This is beyond street rods......we as restorers/hot rodders use the stock cast off parts from them and repair/restore them and re use. We (hot rodders/restorers) are recyclers by nature :).

All bets are off if it's a super rare vehicle, in that case it needs to be restored.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  17. tjm73

tjm73

Once money changes hands and ownership is transferred, what I do with what I bought is my business and what they do with what I sold is their business. If I paid $1000 or $100,000 I'll mash it flat with a backhoe if that's what I really want to do.

It isn't of course. But I think we all know what I mean.

18. 33Doll

33Doll

I don’t fit in the box! Never have!
    I like every style,year, build custom car, brand, Whatever, anything with four wheels if it looks cool to me! Doesn’t mean I like everything I just like everything that’s cool to me!
    I have to admit though I do get annoyed at some of the “traditional” rod builder guys, they’re almost as anal as stock restorer sometimes. I like traditional looks on most things but I like to hide a few modern upgrades for
    Reliability sake, growing up with hot rods and being broken down on the side of the road alot!
    Such as:
    12v
    Hidden pertronix inside the crab dist.
    Fuel injection hidden in stromberg bodies
    T-5 with an early Ford Shifter
    Banjo rearend with 9” axles and bearings hidden.
    Etc.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Restoring cars is like putting a puzzle together. Building a hot rod is like painting on a blank canvas. Requires a different way of thinking. The challenge of restoring a car is usually finding those rare pieces. The challenge of building a hot rod CORRECTLY is understanding suspension geometry and driveline angles.

LAROKE likes this.
  20. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

All my personnel cars have always been modified as where many of the customer car's I have built over the years. But I have also done a lot of original restoration's that went on to be national award winners. One was a 1957 Bel Air convertible , all matching original car with every factory option available. It won best of show awards everywhere it went. That was 28 years ago. About 10 years ago I heard it sold for stupid money and felt great that we did such a nice job that even an 18 year old restoration could still pull that kind of money. Then I found out somebody in Arizona bought it and had the complete body and interior installed on a new air bagged chassis with an LS motor and overdrive transmission. I thought that sucked! I love cutting things up , but something that has survived in one piece for 50 to 80 years is a hard one for me to go after so I leave those to someone else who can better serve its history. Larry

LAROKE and F-ONE like this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I’ve tried other social media. Some of the Fairlane sites are OK. The F-1 sites....they’re just not for me.

The HAMB is the only place I really enjoy.
    It’s like the last bastion.

To many have drank the Kool Aid.

22. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, to me a guy that digs cars is a guy that digs cars. I don't get the holier than thou attitude, no matter the subject. But it's definitely out there in many different areas, not just cars. Oh well....

23. As long as there is at least one restored example of each make and model and trim level, that's enough for me. Everything else is fair game for the guy with the money.

33Doll likes this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Everyone has a right to an opinion whether I agree or not and I appreciate my sentiments being reciprocated by other car enthusiasts. The almighty $$ dictates everything we do including how far we go with our cars and some of us can be anal at times. I know a couple of restorers who also have hotrods; they'd say that they know a couple of hotrodders who are also restorers. Ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it's refreshing to see so many different interpretations of years, makes and models. Did I mention bellybutton cars:rolleyes:
    I bought my 35 Chebby tub from a seller that purchased it to restore, years later when he saw it completed he was more than happy with outcome as I'd done it such a way that it could be returned to original. :eek:
    Next I bought my 46 Olds from a restorer who previously refused selling it to a hotrodder fearing that it would be butchered. I maintained loose contact with him over the years and eventually ran into him at a GM day in 35 tub. After some discussion he liked what I'd done to the Olds in the interim and finished by saying that he was smitten with the overall plan and genuinely wanted to see it when completed. Moreover because I'd maintained the originality despite OT suspension and drive train modifications, I retained OEM colour & trim, woodgrained interior, steel wheels etc. There was a happy medium reached.

25. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

In MOST cases my favorite cars are pretty stock in outward appearance with subtle styling cues, such as a slightly lower stance and a good set of wheels and tires complimenting the vehicle. I really enjoy seeing a nicely built car with upgraded chassis and drivetrains. I prefer that over a gazillion point restoration. Besides, it's not like the average hot rodder is cutting up a Pebble Beach winning Duesenberg.

verde742 and olscrounger like this.
  26. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

I have never seen a car i dont like, but the 32,33,34,35,36,37, are my favorite and i really prefer a small block Chevy to be in it ,I am 70 years old and they are about as maintenance free and cheap to fix, sorry guys, i said it !!!

verde742 and Montana1 like this.
  27. verde742

verde742

orange 55.jpg when someone tells me how I messed up a good huntin' rig:
    ( Talking about my sectioned and shortened '55 Ford F-100>>>>>)

I sometimes replied, "Yes, I did, AND they only made them that one year"

REPLY "REALLY? '

LAROKE likes this.
  28. I understand the stock only guys though. I haven't changed the oil in my 2007 gmc yet....that way when it becomes collectable I can say it still has eveything stock

210superair likes this.
  29. 'Restored Hotrod' is just an automotive oxymoron. Ranks right up there with 'jumbo shrimp', 'army intelligence' and the mac-daddy of them all...'Free love'.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  30. samurai mike

samurai mike

i like to use the 50 merc as an example. if there were no stock ones, the full custom merc would have no meaning. how many kids think the desoto grill and buick side chrome is how they came? we have room in this world for both custom and stock.