Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Ford Waterfall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbrown, Dec 30, 2019.

1. gbrown

gbrown

I'm back! And my waterfall is FINISHED! Right as all of this CoVid stuff started happening I received my waterfall back from the chrome plater and then we got put on lockdown. Well last month when things finally started opening back up I was able to get this out to my buddy Mike Meeker and have him help me finish up the small details on this and get it final installed in the car.

Attached to this post are some of the pictures that Mike sent me after he got the details painted and I finally have gotten around to making a final video talking about the finished project and my thoughts on selling these to the public. Thanks for watching!

2020-06-09 12.30.01.jpg 2020-06-09 12.30.33.jpg 2020-06-09 12.31.03.jpg

olscrounger, 35cab, mvee33 and 8 others like this.
  2. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Dang that looks great!!!!!
    Have you put it on the car???

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great use of modern technology...thanks for sharing this journey @gbrown

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. raven

raven

Looks awesome, when do they go on sale?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. What process exactly was used to apply the 'chrome' finish? It's not actual chrome, I can tell from the 'color' that it's either paint or vacuum metalizing, neither of which is very durable in my experience. Both types give more of a polished aluminum look rather than the 'hard' color of real chrome. This is pretty obvious in the pic of it installed on your dash.

It is possible to actually chrome plate plastic (the OEMs have been doing it since the mid '60s on selected parts, and it's become more common since) to get the durability of real plating but it can be prohibitively expensive in small lots.

Not trying to take away from what you've done, but you should make possible buyers aware that it's not really chrome.

6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Not a fan of flat colors, but waterfall does look *very* nice. To maybe save a lot of work sanding the background area(s), have you tried using wrinkle-paint on those areas? Maybe the orig 3D part would make a good test subject? Am curious how this will hold up in lots of sunlight n very cold weather - which will take some time to find out. Good on you for getting this done. There are so many parts that this would work for, it boggles the mind. Too bad it isn't plug-n-play, yet... ;( . Would it be a correct assumption, that the file for the plastic version, would translate to a metal-printed version? TIA. Marcus...

7. gbrown

gbrown

Hey guys! It’s been awhile and I thought I’d give an update to this thread. I have started selling a few of these 3D printed waterfalls. The one I am sharing today is the first 1935 Ford Waterfall with my fake ashtray and NO crank out windshield hole for a closed car. This is going to a gentleman that was an early supporter of mine/ this project. The last several I have printed have been on Bret Chrismer’s printer and the quality is so much better than the one I originally did for myself. It’s going to be super easy finish these out. If you are interested is a 3D printed waterfall get with me and we can talk pricing. Also a local hot Rodder is going to start offering the same spray on chrome process that I used so I plan on offering a finished version just like mine before too long. Thanks

-Q

1A91B655-CE43-4D9A-9D51-80C8326D252F.jpeg

8. Don't forget to hit that "full image" button before the "reply" button for a bigger image.:) 1A91B655-CE43-4D9A-9D51-80C8326D252F.jpeg

9. ..............and nice work @gbrown.

Stogy likes this.
  10. gbrown

gbrown

Thank you! Also thanks for posting the picture larger. I’m on my phone and think I just hit the thumbnail image.

-Q

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. gbrown

gbrown

Love getting photos from other Hot Rodder’s that are using my 3D printed waterfalls. This one is going in Joe Brognano’s 1936 Ford Three Window Coupe out of New York. We modified the original opening to be a bit smaller so the reveal would better fit around his clock. Small detail but I think it makes a world of difference. What do you guys think?

D8FEDE28-1A4E-4A8C-BE2F-9FFC5CD259E4.jpeg

C8CD9F6E-B8F0-4484-892A-4D96866B823A.jpeg

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

What's the price on these? Nice job!

Stogy likes this.
  13. gbrown

gbrown

$90 unfinished (like the one I just showed).

Options are:
    ‘35 or ‘36

With or without crank out windshield hole

With fake ashtray or with a hole for a gauge

Have an idea for something custom get with me and we can figure try to figure out how to make your idea a reality!

14. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  15. gbrown

gbrown

For anyone interested in what options are available on these waterfalls.

Also I’m always up for a design challenge on one.

4533A22C-6278-4A6A-8686-66F5BDF2C895.jpeg

16. Kodak Jack

Kodak Jack

Would you consider selling the files? I’m interested in personal use.

17. @gbrown has not been here in more than 6 months.

18. Kodak Jack

Kodak Jack

Oh man. bummer :-(