Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time to let go of that coveted/rare part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Mar 29, 2020.

1. hoarding........ take it with you........ Now what do all those precious chunks of aluminum and steel get you?
    it might come down to brass......... That I have........

2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Funny cartoon, just what Fred used to say to Lamont !

47ragtop and cfmvw like this.
  4. I've known guys that hoarded stuff just in hopes of making big bucks someday. I've seen guys turn down crazy offers for Mustang parts they got for free. Those Mustang parts aren't in much demand these days. Too late now. Same with cars. Gonna fix it up someday. Then they croak and it goes to scrap. I say if it's worth a lot now and you aren't going to use it, sell it while it's still worth something.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't collect parts. If I end up with some after a build, I either sell them, scrap them or give them away. I don't know what I'm going to build next, so no need to start collecting. I try to buy mostly complete cars to start with, so scrounging is at a minimum. I never got the "swap meet" bug. Walking for days sifting through other peoples junk never attracted me and the times I've done it, I've found little that interested me. eBay and the internet is much easier.

I will leave a lot of tools and equipment, along with my cars, however.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve been collecting for well over fifty years! Not only car stuff , but tractors, heavy equipment, machinery. I acquired every piece with something in mind. I have been selling some of it lately, but like mentioned, folks want to low ball me! I sold my Columbia a couple of years ago that I had for twenty five years. I’m figuring out what I’m going to build and what I’m not ever going to get to! Luckily my son is interested in most of my stuff. Last count I had well over 100 things that moved!

Bones

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To hear my wife talk I am going to kick the bucket next week as she is always saying "after you are gone-----" tAsked her the other day how the hell she knew that I was going first but she does assume a lot of nonsense.
    Still the plan is to sort all the car stuff out and put the designated or bought for a current project stuff together in one location and catalog it and then all that extra left over stuff goes to the next available swap meet and a lot of it will get sold for what ever honest offer I get.
    Still if you are in a position where you don't have to sell some of the really nifty stuff that isn't speciffically designated for a project unless you get your price you and I may be a lot better off to sell it off. I have a 66 396 in the shed that my son bought in 1988 for a future project before he got killed in an accident in 1989. I saved it back for his younger brother but I don't think he has any interest in it and I don't have any project for it. It is in pieces and needs a 100% go though but some 66 Chevy guy might want it. I've got a 330 Desoto hemi in about the same condition that I will probably never build. The value of them would be better spent on the 48 than what my kids might get for them for my wife.
    I just helped the wife of my buddy who is in the nursing home with Dementia sell off a bunch of stuff including one car that a fellow Hamber bought. My other best friend and the guy was far more a big brother than a buddy passed away a while back and I'll probably have to help his daughter sell off some of his accumulation if she and her hubby don't get it sold. He had some of what I am afraid might be hard to sell for an honest price stuff.
    For me down sizing and getting rid of a bunch of stuff may be more on the line of I am tired of looking at it though. I've got a 21 foot sailboat that needs an energetic and agile young couple in it's life. That one I am too old to deal with anymore.

40FORDPU likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have always enjoyed collecting anything vintage but now reality is catching up . No more room and when you are starting to have to move stuff around so you can work it just takes the fun out of getting your hands busy .

pkhammer, Pinstriper40 and 40FORDPU like this.
  9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I totally agree!:rolleyes: Bob
    DSCF6014.JPG

pkhammer likes this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Mmmmm ... very homey :D Easy to hide from wife.:)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few of you have noted the burden of leaving your collection/horde for your loved ones to handle upon passing.

Let me illustrate an example of what NOT to do to your family, friends, and our hobby when you pass...

I have been assisting with organizing and advertising a massive horde for over two years that started with nearly 400 very complete cars, and nearly 10,000 square feet of buildings crammed to the gills including 18 semi trailers stacked full. I honestly believe there is enough original and repop Model A stuff alone to do serious damage to Brookville's business if it were advertised all at once. ...and that was before this virus hit. Fortunately the executor is focusing only on complete cars for now, and for the forseeable future.

However. There have been a couple serious parties interested in buying EVERYTHING at a single price. All have stated that they would take what is valuable to them (mostly all 1950's and 1960's cars and parts) and crush the rest. Possibly with an auction, but noted as "not very likely" due to the difficulty of inventorying, and controlling that rodeo, coupled with the need to efficiently clear the property after the sale.

The executor, who is a car lover as well, has seriously contemplated taking one of these offers merely because of the sheer volume of what is present, the time it would take to clear the property, as well as the chaos that would ensue if the remaining family member passed prior to completion of clearing it all off in entirety. My estimation was that it would take at least another 2-3 years just to sell off all of the complete cars at this location, and an unknown amount of time to inventory and sell all the individual parts.

Again, this was all prior to Covid-19.

Then, the last time I spoke to the executor in early February, I was told of 150+ complete cars at another location, as well as another property that is an unknown of what it holds. Both properties held by this same estate.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we all are aware of the dwindling interest and values prior to the Corona virus, and the now unknown of what current affairs will hold for the hobby's future. I would suggest to everyone, as I have suggested to the executor, in an overall desire to keep this hobby alive for all to enjoy, maybe it is time to start slowly letting go of the projects/parts that you know you will never get to, and maybe some kind needs to get his jalopy on the road. I confess that I have been clearing out the pile I personally have that I have realized I will never build for some time, and I'm not even 50 yet.

Maybe a cleansing will be good for the soul, as well as good for those who want to enjoy what we have been fortunate enough to experience, but have never been able to afford to.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^^ if buy it all offers are still available sounds like better take the best - auction businesses that do farm equipment, etc could handle a lot of it - have been to some where auction company places smaller stuff on pallets and lined up in a long rows - vehicles lined up in other rows - had two auctioneer booths on trailers in two areas - and accept bids are they move past - what is left is scrapped - some individuals buy in volume and get super deals - individuals with a lot of stuff that say they are going to have garage sales or haul to swap meets are going to be at it a long time - when I downsized I sold stuff at swap meets, flea markets, etc - after a year I had only eliminated about 1/2 - then estate sale - some just hauled off to end up in dump - some put in storage because hated to sell - that was too expensive - finally sold for pennies on the $10 - I was not a major hoarder/ collector -

steel3window likes this.
  13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It is a good idea to let someone know who to contact in case something should happen to you so your hoard or even your car will get full value for your loved ones. Sadly I have been contacted on more than one occasion by a friend's family who's passed on to help with such a situation. And I always looked upon it as an honour that someone thought enough of me to do this for them.

14. cfmvw

cfmvw

I started downsizing after my ex wife left me almost twenty years ago. I had some pretty cool car stuff and parts, but passed much of it along to friends who could use and enjoy it. I don't own much now, as I live in a 684 square foot house with a small garage, but I still find things that I can give to someone.

woodsnwater likes this.
  15. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I collect parts for different reasons, some of them I sell, some of them are for future projects, and some are nice to look at. I'm 36 years old, but I realize that God can call me home any time. So, most of my parts are tagged by what they fit, and another tag for each project they go to. I have multiple projects going on and the parts could get mixed up. By tagging what they are AND what project will help others sort out my chaos should something happen to me. My wife thinks it morbid, but I tell her what parts go to what project so that she will know if I'm not around. I also go against the guy code and tell her the value. That way she is less likely to "give" away my treasures to somebody looking to make a buck.

pkhammer likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I hope some of you will rethink your stance on "I don't want to sell to someone who's just going to resell it". If you get your price, what difference does it make what the next guy does with it? You don't have to deal with people who are jerks, but give us resellers a chance. We put our cash money up front and we do the work it takes to find this stuff new homes, which is a lot of work (if it was easy, we wouldn't all have huge piles of stuff laying around, would we?).

I've been to a lot of estate auctions and a lot of stuff gets sold for pennies or straight up junked, and lots of burden placed on families who have to deal with it all. Plus, lots of good stuff that would help out the hobby gets lost or destroyed in the process.

Don't let your pride hurt your beloved hobby because someone might make a profit on what you're selling.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have seen entire collections, often deep in the six-figure value range, go straight to the scrapper, because the owner, who recently passed, would never sell anything, extolling this exact plan of leaving this gold to his heirs.

They did not care, and just wanted it gone.

And some of you wonder why a 4-71 manifold for an SBC can sell for $2600, and a pair of nearly un-salvageable Halibrands can go for $2000/each.

All of this stuff WAS out there, and now it is gone. If you really support this hobby, sell off everything that can be sold, and give away the rest.

pkhammer, razoo lew and Squablow like this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am going to relate a story here, that may or may not be relative, but here it is anyway. I've been working on a little shortbed Chevy for a guy for a few months now. Not long after it showed up, a guy who I mentioned in the 1%er thread showed up, whining about this and that as usual. He mentioned that 20 years ago, he had a really nice set of fenders for one of these pickups, but no one would give him what they were worth ($100.00 apiece, which was a lot 20 years ago), so he just hauled them off to the landfill. As he was leaving, the father of the pickup owner pulled in. When he got out, he told me that years ago, that old guy had tried to sell him the aforementioned set of fenders, and he turned him down. Then he told me that a few weeks later, they saw the same fenders in the scrap pile in the landfill, and they picked them up, and installed them on the little shortbed Chevy :)

The bottom line to me is, if I get the amount I want out of something I sell, why in the world should I give a hoot if someone else makes money on it? Hooray for them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  19. 47ragtop

47ragtop

The bottom line to me is, if I get the amount I want out of something I sell, why in the world should I give a hoot if someone else makes money on it? Hooray for them.[/QUOTE]
    Well said !! Unfortunately the times have passed alot of US and our stuff by. I got rid of most of my stuff in 2013 and downsized and moved to another state. I have helped my sister getting rid of my late BIL's stuff . It went dirt cheap. Now I have my 40 , my tools and just a shirt tail full of small stuff. My family won,t be burdened getting rid my stuff and I am enjoying my 40. Later Bill

Shutter Speed and 40FORDPU like this.
  20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

This a good topic as it seems to affect everyone on this site. I tend to believe in some cases there are guys who can't handle someone reselling their parts after they feel they have gotten what they were worth in the first place. My problem is I would rather hang that cool part on the wall than let it go and I'm sure I'm not the only one guilt of that. I think most guys involved in cars I know are hard wired to collect and like myself find it hard to let that coveted part go for fear you won't have the chance at it again. But as I get older I will have to face the reality of a purge.

The37Kid likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think I'm out of "Good Stuff" to sell. There is the eBay pile, and the value of that is dropping by the day. I did have a big sell off a few years ago when I wanted to buy the Hupmobile, lots of neat stuff went down the road. The only item I miss is the Buffalo wire wheel front hub and cap. Bought it for $25.00, sold it for $275.00. Had it for 25 years, hoped to find the other three and four wheels. There is a message, or reason I feel that way, I'll never find it, probably better of if I don't. Bob

303racer, Thor1 and ramblin dan like this.
  22. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

There is a difference in keeping stuff because we are attached to it, and being afraid of selling something for fear of the next guy reselling it. I like my hoard, but the contents of it change often. I lot of the stuff I sell has been saved from a trip to the landfill or shredder where they would have been lost forever. I have a "problem" where I try to group stuff back together in sets ( wheels, hubcaps, engine parts,). I seem to get caught up in chasing the one wheel or hubcap to finish up an unneeded set instead of chasing a needed part for a project. But I do feel a sense of satisfaction when the "set" is complete

The37Kid likes this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I had to part out Prop Strike’s collection, due to the fact that we were together when he bought most of it and his family didn’t know what to do with it. I will tell you it was the hardest thing I have ever done.

He was only 50 and came down with brain cancer. He was dead in under a year. Just remember someone else will have to handle it while trying to mourn. It sucks. It still tears me up and it has been almost 8 years. Missing my little buddy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    The37Kid likes this.
  24. When this COVID thing took hold, I shut the doors on the garage, & have only been in there sparingly to retrieve a tool to work on the house (something I've been neglecting for too long). It seems like every time i go in the garage, or basement, I think "I should start selling off some of this stuff, i bought it to sell it, & here it sits." With the internet bringing prices way up on parts/ cars, swap meets have lost their thrill for me. i don't even go to many auctions anymore.

25. I agree with the previous posts about not caring if the guy buying my part is going to resell it. I got what I wanted so I’m happy. That said, I did have a guy buy a part off me at a swap meet once that pissed me off. He stopped by several times looking the part over and had a sob story that could have been written by a best selling author. He needed the part to finish his car, had very little money, etc. etc. I finally gave in and sold it at a big discount.
    Done for the day, I packed up and walked the aisles only to see my part on a table for more than I was originally asking. The guy was not around, probably saw me coming. I sure hope I’m never that blinded by money that I have to lie and beg just to make a few bucks. Unfortunately these types of people are usually the first in line when families are trying to sell off a loved ones collection. Sell it now or at least when this virus is over.

pkhammer likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

10-15 years ago eBay was the place to sell parts. I sold all kinds of parts on there. I was literally going to throw some away before listing on eBay and everything sold . Not anymore. I've tried to sell good stuff at good prices and had no bidders. I no longer even try.

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I got on a kick a few years back, trying to sell some of my hoard. Folks wanted to pay less than I could get at the scrap yard! Sorry I’m not going to give my 49 and 50 Mercury coupes, fifties Fords, or trucks away! Plus some OT vehiles. So that kinda pisseed me off, then my son found out I was trying to sell some of my stuff. Well he listed the things he wanted...... guess what? It was the very same stuff I had tried to sell, some of my best stuff,! So.... I just canceled my ads and I’m just going to continue to keep them at my son’s request! Problem solved.....for me!

Bones

pkhammer and catdad49 like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

eBay is about dead and the "New" payment system will drive the final nails in the coffin. Glad to say I lived through the Golden Years of the hobby, shows & swap meets. I miss a lot of good friends that passed on, it was fun while it lasted. Bob

ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

At least label your 'PRICELESS WIDGET' before you kick the bucket so your estate will get a tiny portion of what you think its worth. :eek:

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

That has been said before, has anyone known anyone that had everything arranged, labeled and priced? Just all the related parts to a project in one bay would be neat to see sometime. Bob