Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I bent a piece of 18 gage to make the lower flange, then put a crease in it by bending it in one direction, moving and flipping the piece over and bending it again. with it clamped in the brake I hammered down on it to get the bead rounded. IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

2. I bent the edge along the jamb, then used the shrinker to pull the panel around the corner. to get the taper I used a barrel nosed heavy hammer to stretch the upper part of the patch. IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG

cactus1, dwollam, ct1932ford and 9 others like this.
  3. I fitted, then welded it in and ground the welds flush. IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0313.JPG IMG_0314.JPG

cactus1, safetythird, dwollam and 6 others like this.
  4. splattered a little black primer on, then a coat of ford engine paint. right before the paint dried [slightly tacky] I rubbed the paint with my hand to get rid of some shine, and show some black through. blends ok? IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG

5. It takes a Chevy Guy to fix all the wood in a Ford! Great job!

cactus1, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. after dinner I did the other cab corner. smaller patch just needed the bead. IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0323.JPG

7. I am not as happy with this, it will need a little more work. IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG

8. What did you have for dinner? May of had something to do with the outcome. Looking good tb.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

9. pasta with meat sauce......bread.... garden salad.:cool:

scrap metal 48, Stogy, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  10. Been a neat thread to follow! Thanks for sharing.

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and greaser like this.
  11. No dry red wine?:confused: That may be the problem!:oops:

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  12. worked on the driver side again. thought I would get around the corner a little more before making the straight piece across the back. IMG_0333.JPG IMG_0334.JPG

brEad, dwollam, Runnin shine and 4 others like this.
  13. while I was at it I tweaked the passenger side......better now. IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG

dwollam, Runnin shine, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  14. trimmed up the back panel for the final piece, will start making this tomorrow night. IMG_0337.JPG

15. Coming right along! Them corners take some time.

loudbang likes this.
  16. I ended up mowing the lawn but wanted to keep moving ahead so I used the heat gun to soften the tar that someone put inside the doors. there was also a strip across the back that needed to be removed before I welded it up. IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG

kidcampbell71, Stogy, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  17. Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

18. the slacker came by today to see the wood work, pick up the windshield frame and look at the seat situation. he had bought this seat frame and cushions that came out of a coupe. brand new springs, nice upholstery and a solid frame. we have tried to sell it so we could get the proper truck cushions but have been lowballed to the point we are just going to cut them up and make them fit the truck. the bottom of the seat fits ok on the seat riser but needs a 1.5" riser board across the back to get the right angle. the back cushion is going to have to be chopped down. if we plan it right we should be able to use the fabric again. other smaller cushion is a rumble seat cushion. IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0349.JPG

TFoch, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  19. I bent up the patch panel for the rear of the cab and trimmed it to width. I then clamped it in place and marked for the cut across the top. IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. notice the cab flares out as it goes up, so I had to put it back in the brake and bend just above the bead some more to match. IMG_0352.JPG

cactus1, Stogy, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  21. once trimmed I welded it in, ground down the welds, and hammered out most of the waves and dings. IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0355.JPG IMG_0358.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  22. lower back of cab done for now. IMG_0356.JPG more of the black primer and ford engine paint

cactus1, patmanta, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  23. Nice!:cool:

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. olds vroom

olds vroom

Awesome job

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been watching this from the beginning. Very impressive work.

26. thanks for all the compliments, likes and comments.

Just Gary, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Your doing really nice work.. Keep it going....

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  28. keeping it going.... :). this morning I cut the roof strips. I made them 3/8 thick and after they are installed I will sand the top side down about 3/32" to get the correct height . I used the whole board and I think I may be one or two short. I do think the extra spacing will be ok, I will see after I trim them to fit. IMG_0359.JPG IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0362.JPG

patmanta, Stogy, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  29. I then decided to "finish" the upper part of the back, of the cab. I did some more shrinking, hammering, and tweaking, still needs more but it is good for now. I also had to straighten out the rear window opening and weld a few cracks. IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG

patmanta, Stogy, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  30. I then sanded down the rusty spots and hit it with the primer and paint. IMG_0366.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.