Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What kind of leather work do you do? Any pics? I remember the shifter boot, that was pretty cool.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. 41 C28

41 C28

Happy New Year to all you old Mopar nuts,,,, I mean enthusiasts.

3. n847

n847

Belts, wallets, can coozies, key chains, etc. I'm about to do my first cycle seat pan. You can get the idea of my style from the pics below! Basically all hot rod related stuff when possible!

Attached Files:

4. n847

n847

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool stuff! Now I know who to contact if I want some leather work...damn, now I'm wondering what I might like to have made...lol. Its like tattoos, once you get one you look at getting more :D

6. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Dude, that leather work is wicked cool! Car is looking great too! It's been a while since I've checked in.

7. n847

n847

Been a while since I updated. Still not much to share. I officially went through the entire winter without doing any work to the car! I got really busy with the leather work and it was so damn cold I couldn't get motivated. I want to be back on the road in 2 weeks for a local car show so I'll be cleaning the garage and getting her up in the air for a fluid flush on the tranny and change out the engine vital fluids. Then a little tune up work. The real reason for the update is to thank 50dodge4x4 here on the HAMB for hooking me up in a major way with all the stainless and chrome for my front end. He did me a solid because I barely paid enough for one piece of this trim much less the whole grill assembly! Thats the stuff that's so awesome about the HAMB guys I never met like Gene & Joel here totally helping a guy out. Really makes you eger to pay it forward.
    I'm working on a deal to trade my current daily driver to my body guy to get my bodywork done and ready for paint, then all I'll have to do is pay for material when its time for shiney paint! So now its time to figure out what to do with that ugly grill!

Also wanted so show off my Church prints that finally got framed this week and a quick shot of the work my son did to the car last week while we were doing some remodeling in the house.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool leather work...

9. n847

n847

Thanks scrap metal...you should come out to Troy for the show on the 27th!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. n847

n847

Well its been many moons since my last post on here. Almost exactly 1 year in fact. I didn't do much last year other than put miles on it. The leather business has really taken off so I spent the whole winter trying to keep up with that! I'm still about a year back ordered, but its crusing season so I have to get something done!
    I finally got around to throwing on the Aerostar front coils last night. My springs were already cut down so I don't expect much ride height change. Infact it may raise it a little. I'm really just looking for a little smoother ride and stop bottoming out the suspension.
    2015-05-12 10_45_28-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg
    All in all a very simple swap. I haven't buttoned everything up just yet because I need to figure out if there is a proper torque for the upper spindle bolt (I'm sure thats not the technical term) that goes through the upper control arm.
    2015-05-12 08_27_02-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg
    I was reading on the p15 site this morning and it sounds like its even easier to drop the lower control arm than the upper, so I will probably do the passenger side that way tonight. I've ordered new front and rear shocks even though I plan to relocate the front upper shock mount. I'm going to run to Indiana this weekend for the first cruise in of the season so I want to see how it handles with the new springs and shocks.
    I'm also going to pull the transmission pan for the 3rd time in attempt to fix the constant leaking. The Speedway pan I bought is a piece of junk, warped from the jump. I found a local guy who has some factory TH350 pans, so I will probably go grab one from him this week. I'm tempted to just skip the gasket all together and go with a nice dose of RTV all the way around. I'm fed up with the constant leaking.
    I'm still in the market for new front end sheetmetal. I really need the grill insert opening, but I wouldn't mind finding a while front end, fenders and all.

This is just about my favorite week of the year. Dragging the car out of hibernation for the first time. Doing a quick nut & bolt inspection, checking the vitals, and firing it off for the first time.
    2015-05-12 10_45_53-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg
    Clearly I'm not the only one in the house ready for hot rod season to begin!
    2015-05-12 10_44_54-Microsoft Office 2010.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Great to see you back!
    I had to go back and read the whole story again to remind myself where you started and what's new.
    I'm planning on starting back up again on my 40 coupe that's been sitting on the back burner for way too long.
    I'm going to check into those springs for mine so I don't have to rob the 48 chassis I've got out back.
    That and finish up the fuel and cooling, then see if the harness from the donor will get things running.
    Keep us posted on your progress!

12. n847

n847

RodStRace
    Its a very easy swap and there is a ton of good info on it on the p15-d24 website in the forums. I finished it all up last night. I will say dropping the lower spindle bolt was much easier than seperating the top, which wasn't that bad. If you ever have any questions just shout!
    I haven't dropped it back down just yet because I'm hoping to get my shocks in tomorrow. My shocks were completely shot! I could pump them in and out any you could hear the hiss and pop from the seal. I'm hoping to do the upper shock mount relocation soon, but I wanted to see how well it would handle with all new stuff up there.
    I also noticed I'm missing the lower bump stop on the drivers side so I'm going to have to come up with something to replace that.

13. 41 C28

41 C28

Your leather work is outstanding. The Cincy Street Rod's show is Sunday at the Butler Co. Fair Grounds in Hamilton. Going to take my new baby down.

14. n847

n847

41 C28 I'll be going over to Indiana for a nice little car show/fund raiser a budy of mine puts on Saturday so I may be working on the honey do list Sunday. But every year I say I'm gonna make it to Cincy Street Rod's show!

15. n847

n847

Got the new coils up front, swapped the transmission pan, oil change and dropped her back on the ground. Hooked up the battery and fired off on the first crank.
    The new springs actually raised the front end at least 3-4 inches for me. I knew my old coils were cut, but I guess they were sagging a little more than I previously realized. I'll rock it nose high for a week or so to let the springs settle in a little bit then take a coil or so out. The ride has improved dramatically and I haven't even installed my new shocks yet. Actually I'm running no front shocks. Its amazing how making one thing better makes the other problems seem so much worse. Now my steering gear box feels like its full of gravel. Its been like this since I got it, but much more noticeable when the car isn't riding around on the bump stops!
    20150514_185738.jpg IMG_20150514_192358.jpg

Attached Files:

16. n847

n847

17. 73RR

73RR

Regarding the ride height, I quickly scanned the 17 pages to see if you reversed
    the spring mounting plate on the A-arm....couldn't tell, if not, it will give about a 2" drop.

18. n847

n847

Yeah I hadn't planned on it but I may go that route.

19. n847

n847

We rolled out to a lil show about 75 miles away Saturday and the Plymouth rode out and drove nicely. Especially considering we had rain for about half the ride there, and most all of the ride home. For about 20 miles or so it was an absolute down pour coming home. Which was a little unnerving at first considering I have no wipers, defrost, or cowl vent seal. There was more rain dripping on my feet than coming through the partially rolled down windows and wide open vent windows.

Days like this are seriously what its all about for me! No one was going to "rain" on my parade. When Chase and I got home you couldn't wipe the smile off our wet faces. Great times with great people.
    20150516_090206.jpg
    20150516_100929.jpg
    My personal favorite car at the show for obvious reasons!
    20150516_131227.jpg
    20150516_154425.jpg
    Did I mention it rained?
    20150516_155720.jpg
    20150516_155729.jpg
    20150516_155748.jpg
    20150516_162810.jpg 20150516_162820.jpg
    One way or another it was an absolute blast and it feels so good to have it back on the road! Of course I pulled in the driveway Saturday afternoon and there was my box from rockauto full of my new shocks that didn't make it in by Friday. Oh well. Hopefully we'll have the new rear leaf springs by the 30th so I can get on replacing those.

daddio211 likes this.
  20. n847

n847

Oh and we found the worlds ugliest Hotwheels of all time! I think its pretty rare though because its clearly missing parts. Must have been some type of factory defect! I love that you can see just how wet we both were, but clearly my son was loving it! If you live in the southwest Ohio/Southeast Indiana region this show is a must and its already scheduled for next year in the same place. This was our second year going, and first year in the Plymouth and its not to be missed. These people do some great things for people! And it really is about 75% hot rods. I was shocked to see they had over 100 cars in attendance and no one left early.
    IMG_3678.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

Great times are always better with kids! LOVE the Hot Wheels back drop.

22. n847

n847

Wow. I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since I updated this thread!

You won’t believe the progress we’ve made since the last update…
    [​IMG]
    Ok so maybe not…

Since the last update we've really not done much except drive it! After the springs settled out I took a couple coils off to get it sitting right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I upgraded to an accell small cap HEI set up & other than changing vital fluids & plugs we were just enjoying it. Last summer I officially started to loose some interest in it as it sits. It's never been my intention to leave it as it sits but I try to avoid blowing it so far apart that I can't enjoy it when I get the itch.
    Last time I updated I talked about a side project I had started & was doing leather work. That has really taken off & between that & the kids growing up & playing sports most of my spare time during the winter is spoken for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We even built an interior for my buddy Adam's model A that got a lot of positive feedback in Detroit at Autorama this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I haven't been on here much over the last few years but with all the BS going on in the world I'm about sick of any kind of social media so I figured I'd go back to old faithful. Good to see one place in the world where people just want to talk about hot rods!
    I've been stock piling parts for the last few months to I'm getting the itch to try & get back on the car again so hopefully there will be updates to follow in the near future. I've got everything piled up to do the upper shock mount relocation, Jeep Cherokee sway bar conversion, & I'm planning to buy new RR leaf springs, & looking for a new carb to eliminate the on & off issues I've fought with this one for years.
    So hopefully I'll be back around a bit more soaking up inspiration & ideas. Hope I remember how to do this...

Attached Files:

Chucky, OahuEli and RodStRace like this.
  23. imstupid

imstupid
    from nnj

Definitely glad to see your back at it always liked following your build . And the leather work looks awesome .

OahuEli likes this.
  24. n847

n847

Thanks stupid...hahaha

I picked up a few pieces at the the swap meet last week so hopefully I'll be messing around with it this weekend.

My dad & I picked up another project over the weekend so it looks like I'll have another distraction. But it will be worth it just to spend some more time with him in the shop!

Resized_20200627_151328.jpeg Resized_IMG_3952.jpeg

OahuEli likes this.
  25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey man, It sits much better.. I'm a Plymouth owner myself now.. 1953 club coupe... 100_4282.JPG

26. n847

n847

Scrap Metal...long time no see! That thing is nice! looks like a legit survivor!

27. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Lost me at 283 Shity. If it says Ford on the title then the distributor goes in the front of the engine, If it says Dodge, Plymouth, Desoto, or Chrysler then it stays all MOPAR. If it says shitrolet the just flush it down with the paper work.

28. n847

n847

Sorry to have wasted your time with my project...

oliver westlund likes this.
  29. gene-koning

gene-koning

WOW! Some guy that has 40 something posts since 2009 comes here and blasts someone because of their drivetrain choice in their own car?

I have a Mopar drivetrain in my car, but my car isn't your car, or anyone else's car, its mine. The fact that you are driving and enjoying it means a lot more to me then what is moving it down the street. The leather work is really cool!

Don't let the tailpipe stop you from updating your progress. I can't update anything I do here because its now considered off topic for the board. If people quite updating (or can't update), there won't be much to read. Gene

30. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

My 33 dodge is getting an olds 303 with a ford trans and an olds rear end, eat your heart out lol