Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ferrari Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 22, 2017.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

What muffler, or lack of, is that?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Straight up toots...

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too, which means I'm with Roo . . . nice to know my seat-of-the-pants, just-another-dumbass, bleacher-seat-heckler opinion is corroborated by a professional hot rodder. Which doesn't mean we are right . . . there is no right . . .

4. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Exactly! Even though I think that comparing a newer Ferrari to good ol' Fords is a stretch, that's not really the point. I'm one of the ones who gets it... The parallels and the opposites. Given the choice, the F-bomb would still be sittin' there... but those Fords would be tough to choose between!

5. I can see the parallels of early sports cars and hot rods. Both were often built or modified for racing. If it was not fast enough you added carburetors, change camshafts, or build a new engine. If needed maintenance which was often done by the owner.

However I see modern sports car being more like tech-no rods it is about being seen. Very rarely if ever are modern sports cars modified or see track time all maintenance must be done by the dealer. Just as tech-no rods are built and driven a few years and then sold. They hardly ever change or evolve.

6. For me, I love the shoots, but then I love the contrasting emotions that different cars bring out in me. I have a custom ‘50 Olds 88 with a mildly worked 371 and a 2004 Maserati M138 Cambiocorsa. They actually have similar weights and hp, but completely different experiences and I love them both. I just love seeing wildly different cars together. Maybe my favourite shot of the Olds is with the actual 1907 Itala that won’t the original Peking to Paris rally that year - which in it’s own way was an absolute hot rod- and the English take on a sports car from the same era as the Olds.

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being that it's OK to mention Ferrari here, because Ryan instituted this particular thread, let me add my 2 cents worth. I shoot a lot of photography and I like the element of juxtaposition. That being said here, in my opinion, the choice of the 2003 575 Maranello Ferrari is just too new and reminds me a bit too much of " Miami Vice " not that its a bad choice, its just not the Ferrari's I would have chosen to for that particular shoot.

The photos below are from the web, so credit to those that shot these shots.

I would have chosen the 1967 275 GTB/4 Ferrari Coupe
    Ferrari-275-GTB-19.jpg Ferrari-275-GTB-20-1600x1059.jpg

Or the 1967 GTB/4S Ferrari " NART " of which, only 10 were built.
    1967 Ferrari 275 GTB4 NART Spider Monterey 2013 Photos  (18).jpg ferrari-275-gtb-4s-n-2.jpg
    The lines of both cars are stunning and are classic.
    The history of the NART is equally intriguing.

Speaking purely in the mode of photography and positioning the cars for various angles and " juxtaposition " either of these two Ferrari's rendered in black and white with the Black Dahlia and the Tardel/Cochran coupe would have given great results, that are visually appealing. But that is just me.

I am just glad that there is an element of an open mind here in regards to even considering Ferrari on this traditional website. I am equally glad that there are others here, that appreciate what Ferrari was and the rich history of racing back in the day !

8. I agree totally. The 275 GTB coupe is the best looking Ferrari there is.
    Could have bought one new in 64/65 for $ 14,400. How is that for appreciation?

9. Almost forgot! You could put the 275 next to anything and it will look good.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. You need to do this shoot with a Hybrid car from the 60's parked between for transition. Italian Styling and performance with American drivetrain, the perfect crossover. My ISO Rivolta was a Ferrari Killer in the 60's with it's 327ci Motor and 4sp. ISO, Montaverdi, Allard, Gordon Keeble, DeTomaso Pantera, etc.

IMG_0208.JPG

Family Photo.JPG

Rivolta #252 Engine.jpg

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5675.JPG
    Anybody recognize the mirror at the very bottom center right?
    Nobody believes me but it really was my wife that pushed me to look at buying a Ferrari early this year.
    She says I had always talked about one day buying one just to see what all the fuss was about. Well, like most, the dollars normally associated with owning and maintaining a Ferrari kept it well out of my reach.
    Last year and continuing into the beginning of this year my investments far, far surpassed my expectations. My wife said; that being the case, why not buy that dang Ferrari you talked about over the years?
    I mentioned it at our car guys weekly breakfast... back in January when we could still enjoy such simple pleasures!
    A pal got on his phone and found one at a dealer he had dealt with in the past and it was located about an hour up the road. Thought about it and decided to at least ride up to see one in the flesh. Got there and it looked fabulous and was quite clean on the showroom floor. But... the dang battery was dead and the sales folks there didn't even know where the battery was located! I promptly left and went home... more than a little pissed!
    I'm discussing my experience with my wife when I returned home and sharing my amazement that such a valuable car was supposedly for sale... with a dead battery! A new Hemmings laid on the coffee table... you are getting ahead of the story!!
    Yep, I opened it up; found one that looked good but didn't indicate which state and since I didn't recognize the area code, I called the number. Turns out it was a FL area code but the guy lived in Northern Virginia. Since I live in Virginia I took that as a sign I ought to go see it. A few days later I DROVE it home!
    I am and have been a hot rodder all my life but I gotta confess those little cars will fly!
    My pals were amazed that I took a walk on the dark side... and frankly I am too. However, my wife and I have taken the little car on a number of rides around the county and had great fun. My granddaughter has also proven to be a very happy passenger.
    Please forgive this long tale about a furrin car but I thought I'd share how I happened to talk a walk on the dark side.
    It's OK; my six 1948 and earlier hot rods are in no danger from this furrin car... I just now have another option.
    Which is really part of what Ryan's initial post meant to me. Having fun with cars... and trucks! is what it is all about to me.
    If this post seems over the line, please feel free to delete and accept my apologies.
    For those that know me, yes, I did take it to the ice cream shop! It was a hit just like all the hot rods.
    I'll share a picture of the car only with Ryan's permission. I've no interest in really trying to change the HAMB in any way... I like it, and all y'all just as you are.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  12. catdad49

catdad49

What flavor goes good with a Ferrari?!

13. I’m thinking liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. spent a large chunk of my life repairing European cars. Loved the" repair first, replace only if you have to" pat of it. That skill comes in handy repairing/building the older stuff.
    Anyone that struggles seeing the European influence for a large amount of hot rods and customs from the past is either blind or doesn't understand.

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

20200510 ice cream with my girl.jpg
    A bit late with a reply and a picture taken at the time, but Roadrunner Raspberry ice cream seemed to go well with the Ferrari... and they didn't have Deep Dish Apple Pie ice cream at that time of year!!
    Please delete the picture with my apologies if it offends.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. I want that oil pan