Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HOW TO POISON YOURSELF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clik

Clik

I was scanning some threads here and elsewhere with people offering all sorts of suggestions for using your garden hose to do everything from pressure test heater cores, flush radiators and spray gunk.

Keep in mind that whereever the end of the pressure is reduced or stopped, everything up to that point is at one with your water system all the way back to your kitchen sink and ice maker on the fridge.

I've seen people attach their garden hose to a sump pump to clean up after a sewer back up and then when finished reattach it to the outside hose bib and screw the nozzle back on the hose. The first time they turn the water on at the wall that contaminated water left in the hose will be at one with their drinking water.

Next time you see a hose hanging in a radiator just think!!!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as there is pressure gong out the only thing that is going to be contaminated is the actual end of the hose, the water isn't going to back up an siphon what is in the radiator unless the pressure fails on the system and even then that is near impossible.

A few feet cut off the end of an old hose would serve as a radiator flush hose or cooling system flush hose without comprising the "good" hose.
    Even flushing a sewer drain out you aren't going to contaminate the inside of the hose as long as you keep pressure on it and it works a hell of a lot better with one of those little plastic spray nozzles from Ace hardware on the end that shoots a 20 ft jet of water out of about a 3/16 hole but the outside of the hose would be rather disgusting. That hose went to the dump when I had to do it a few months ago.

ottoman, 1946caddy and redo32 like this.
  3. Anti siphon valve for a garden hose.
    Been code up here for 20 plus years. 48274E29-4ABC-475B-8E5E-328CC84BED61.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

How about welding galvanized metal in an enclosed area with no fan or air movement around you.
    That's a good way to screw up your system.
    Back in the day before we knew any better you would take a brake drum off and take air hose and blow the brake dust off and say nothing like good wiff of asbestos in the morning.

5. chopped

chopped

Been code in the U.S. for some time now, seems like 20 or so years.

Xtrom and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. I'm fairly confidante that working on cars most of my life, even as a hobby, has shortened it in some manner.

LAROKE, Xtrom, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  7. How about a furnace mounted humidifier with an asbestos wick. From the Jan. 1953 Popular Mechanics. Breath in those asbestos fibers as your furnace keeps you comfortable!:eek: 06302020.jpg 06302020_0001.jpg

egads and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Guess I better be careful if I want to reach my next BD, which will be 84 . Done most of those things.

Ben

loudbang, The37Kid, TERPU and 11 others like this.
  9. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

We all did many things that are frowned on today and we survived but how many did not?
    I remember the mechanic at the gas station blowing out the brake dust when I was in high school, I also remember his father who was also a mechanic there died of stomach cancer.
    Corona virus seems to be much harder on us over 60, perhaps there is a connection to our
    past habits.

Nitroholic likes this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Raise your hand if you're started a gas siphon with your mouth and spit a mouthful of gas everywhere? Lol...

I try to be as careful as possible, but isn't it in the mechanic's nature to take our lumps?

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

While smoking Lucky Strikes. Asbestos is actually good stuff, and there is no practical substitute. It's chief attribute seems to be scaring the hell out of the parents so they can try and justify tearing down "aging" school buildings and spend $20 million on a new school, where nobody learns anything.

427 sleeper, The37Kid, lippy and 7 others like this.
  12. I got out of fixing cars for a living, exposure to chemicals was a concern and deciding factor. I got into the machine shop trade, what did I see? Machinists washing parts and hands in MEK. One guy I worked for part time would leave pans of it around the shop and often the can was open.

I'm like a canary in the coal mine for solvents, they affect me immediately. I had bad reactions to some spray mist coolants. At home I'll use lacquer thinner but carefully, Simple Green for almost anything I need to clean.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. My buddy Dave was a mechanic for many years. He used to smoke a cigarette down to the filter over a carburetor leaking gas. I asked if he was afraid of fire. He said I've been on fire before. Try welding a used gas tank. He said a few hours later a customer woke him up. He was out cold laying in a pile of car parts 10 feet away! Apparently there wasn't much that didn't get burned that day.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and 210superair like this.
  14. Also, The Sky Is Falling!!!!!!!!!!

15. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Using simple reasoning , you would probably more likely to be hit by a meteor than have a garden hose end get contaminated, backwash to home and contaminate any part of a home. A stated by previously , your home water is under constant pressure. as soon as you turn your spigot on the pressure coming from the home will overtake any chance of some contaminate that is some 25 to 50 feet away. Even if the hose was used to flush anything and the end was contaminated , be it Agent Orange, pig shit or space dust from the planet Vulcan , the contaminate would have to travel back 25 to 50 feet, fighting its way against 30 to 50 psi of water pressure , then fight its way against the same pressure to say , your fridge ice maker. The only possible scenario would be , you lost complete pressure at you home , a spigot, faucet or whatever would have to be opened somewhere in the home at a further point than the fridge , the garden hose would have to be raised to a point higher than the house and that spigot opened as well to reach fixtures in question .

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You mean this week?

It used to taste better.

17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Like the dog joke. Dude stops at a back road gas station to fuel up and the owner is sitting out front on a rocking chair with his dog. The guy overfills his vehicle and some gas falls to the ground. The dog runs over and starts lapping it up and the guy yells to the owner to care for his dog, but it's too late. The dog runs around in a circle a few times and keels over. The guy says to the owner 'I think your dog is dead!' and the owner says:

'Naw, he's outta gas.'

18. jnaki

jnaki

POLYESTER RESIN/GELCOAT IS CATALYZED WITH MEKP (METHYL ETHYL KETONE PEROXIDE). THE RATIO IS APPROXIMATELY ONE OUNCE OF HARDENER PER GALLON OF RESIN. USE THE FOLLOWING RATIOS FOR SMALLER AMOUNTS. THESE AMOUNTS ARE EASILY MEASURED IN THE OUNCE CUP WHICH IS SUPPLIED WITH THE RESIN.

MEKP is a severe skin irritant and can cause progressive corrosive damage or blindness.

Hello,
    As a teenager, one could not stop anyone from the art of surfboard glassing and finishing. The preliminary gluing of the foam and redwood stringers is another chapter that was a special manufacture. Resin and fiberglass was almost a household product at our homes. Anything from making patches for dings in old surfboards or strengthening a corner of a steel tank, it had many uses, but also many faults.

Back then, a small warning was posted on the labels of resin cans and small glass bottles of catalyst. Yes and no, we did acknowledge it, but never read the warnings. Sounds like typical citizens in any year or area. We used the resin as almost a daily or weekly product fixing numerous things. I even did a stint at a professional glassing shop near our home, where my friend worked as a finish sander, glosser and the product was ready for the showroom when he was done with his job.

I needed a complete glassing/glossing/finish product with my custom foam surfboard blank. The stringers were already put in place, the overall shape was finished and now, the glassing/finishing was in our hands. It was my one and only time in a real factory working on glossing. The fumes were too overpowering and we were both a little dizzy when finished. Dizzy as a healthy teenager? Who would purposely do that?

By working in this Quonset hut with over 20-30 stations, my friend wore a paper painter’s mask. A lot good that did, but it was what everyone was wearing during those early times. The whole place had the fumes everywhere and your clothes needed instant changing after staying in that large room for even a short amount of time.

Jnaki

The product that had the worst effect on humans was the catalyst that had to be mixed into the resin for the patching, full coverage of blank surfboards and any repairs necessary. Then the resin was put on the raw fiberglass cloth for the rough shape. Needless to say, it was a smelly job and the rewards? Well, it was a good teenage job. At the end of our journey in this professional glassing factory, tons of beautiful surfboards were lined up ready for the showroom floors all over So Cal. My own surfboard blank was finished and resided in my backyard garage.

The products were dangerous to our health as we later learned in college chemistry classes. But as teens, the world was not going to stop us from finishing a product we needed for our enjoyment. As a matter of fact in our own backyard repair business, we had a 3 foot tall spire with colors from the repairs we did for our friends. There were lots of clear intermixed with the color and the stack grew until it was dug up to give my mom her garden back. We also did tables and hatchboard covers for decorating apartments. The last resin project was a colorful red with yellow streaks, on top of my photographic developing/enlarging work table.

upload_2020-6-30_7-13-12.png extreme art, but similar colorful drips of resin.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    TERPU, 210superair and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You should never kiss a frog.
    American toads release a type of poison to repel predators.
    Of course you have the South American poison dart frogs.

I knew a truck driver that for some crazy reason kissed a frog.
    Truck drivers can be very interesting people.

He was stopped at a rest area getting some bag cookies and vendor machine coffee and he noticed a small frog sitting by his left foot.
    It was the prettiest frog he had ever seen.
    He reached his hand down to catch it and the little frog jumped into his hand.
    Not only was this a very pretty frog, it was also a sweet frog.
    He decided to keep it.
    He opened the passenger door of his rig and the little frog hopped onto the passenger seat.
    As he was driving down the interstate the little frog kept getting prettier and prettier.
    He did not know why. He could not help it. He leaned over and kissed that little frog.
    POOF!
    The little frog turned into the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

He kissed her again and do you know what he turned into?.........

The next Motel.

20. We have the same "code" here in Texas. I had to take those anti-siphon valves off both hose bibs because they moaned like a Banshee whenever the water temperature changed 1 or 2 degrees in the hose coil on the hanger. It was like living in a haunted house. I figured since my community requires 2 separate water meters and pipe systems, one for the interior household (for billing water and sewer) and one for yard use and lawn irrigation (for billing water only), we wouldn't have much chance of drinking dirty ditch water anyway....... mostly because there is no standing water anywhere on the property. And then, any siphoned water would have to make it's way through a hundred feet hose and another two hundred feet of plumbing out past the meters to the water main, if that's even possible.
    I'll put the anti-siphon valves back on if I ever put the house up for sale.

To keep my post on-topic for the forum, I sometimes put my hose all the way into the 2-gallon bucket when I'm filling it to wash my old truck. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    VANDENPLAS and firstinsteele like this.
  21. Terrible80

Terrible80

And don't drink hand sanitizer. Killed 3, blinded one permanently.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

The main and possibly only reason for anti-siphon valves is the fact that the fire dept can often pull a vacuum on the water system while pumping at a fire in the neighborhood, if that happens hot water tanks can collapse and water can be drawn back into the potable water system from hoses, sumps, etc
    most fire apparatus pumps at a 1000 GPM and if pump operator not watching his gages much damage can happen. Ralphie,

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey it’s 80% methanol and some think methanol and alcohol are the same...
    I remember when our storerooms had “cough syrup” on the shelves. Same guys would get at least 1 a day. I think they were about 40% alcohol.

24. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Years ago when huffing was the thing kids did, one young man here was huffing gasoline fumes and when he finished he sat back and lit a cigarette, you can imagine what happened to his lungs, didn't make it to the hospital, so all you guys siphoning gas don't lite up or you will light up!!!

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Shit, is the Hamb overthinkers club meeting today ? I almost missed it, got caught up washing each one of my pubes individually. I'll add this to the list of things to worry about right away.

Sent from tin cans with strings

427 sleeper, grumpy65, RMR&C and 10 others like this.
  26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Now pumpers can be 1250GPM to 2000 GPM.
    Those problems occur when hard suction hoses are used on a fire plug.
    Soft hoses will collapse while the hard suction pulls vacuum.
    It’s very very rare to use the hard suction off a plug/ hydrant.
    When a local school in the area burned 30 plus years ago......there was a rash of calls to the police about people or something moaning inside or outside the house.......
    It was the water being pulled from the toilets, (supply side) sink valves and hot water heaters.

One of the most interesting drills we did was using large soft suction hose and opening up the hydrant to make a connection on a flowing and in use hydrant.
    The pump operator had to be pulling enough water and flowing enough water out of his fire streams and deck guns.
    Pulling too much, the soft suction would collapse. Flowing too little out all the streams, you could not open the hydrant cap without getting very very wet.
    Just right, when you took the 2 1/2 inch hydrant cap off, to make the connection, you can see all the water, I mean every drop coming up out of the riser and out of the steamer connection, into the soft suction, going to the truck.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. god damn it !! I knew it.

RMR&C likes this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

We're from the government and we're here to_____ sell back flow preventers ( sorry)........help

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m really surprised this thread still exists, are the moderators all sleeping or on vacation? :D

Flathead Dave and egads like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.