Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Barn fresh A...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gamlebilrokker, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Good one!

2. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

It is so refreshing to see someone so geniuinely happy!!! Enjoy your life and your model A.

You can try the dropped axle mechanical brake set up I used...........here is my thread on it and looks like Henry did it with all early Ford parts, just Mikey would have....http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591239

3. Fedt, endnu en dansk A-Rod! :D

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Ja det er god stil!
    Ingen opdates?

Cool built!
    No updates?

5. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Not much happened. My girlfriend moved in, so most weekends I'd spend laying out carpets and building furniture, trying to organize things, and enjoying the company of a woman.
    And my car for the winter has to be ready too, since I'm a moron and instead of doing the brakes of my daily, like other people would do, I decided that it's a great reason to get yet another 30 year old piece of junk, thinking that overhauling the cooling system could be done in few hours, not realising that a waterpump on a Ford V6 is the shittiest bit that was ever invented by mankind...

One way or another, my hot rod is back in Denmark, and is currently sitting in the garage waiting for a throttle linkage, 12 Volt electrical system, and someone who is willing to come over and help me adjust that hunk of iron so that it runs when I want it, and not when it thinks that it wants to run.

I'm honestly thinking if I shall just give it away to a speed shop and let professionals do it for me. I like tinkering, but the lack of time, paired with the wish of tearing the streets apart with that thing are just killing me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slv63 likes this.
  6. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

There is some progress. After I failed completely at getting the banger to run with the new carb and intake by myself, I figured I’ll try to find a speedshop. I have been wantin’ a Jalopy for way too long to spend next few years trying to drive it again for few meters. Surprisingly my ad was answered not by a shop, but by a dude who does it for fun. He’s got himself a banger, knew on the phone what I did wrong, we scheduled a drop off in January, January came, and so did the snow. My place is about 2 miles into the woods with no asphalt, no real road, no neigbours and nothin’, and therefore I decided to wait until the snow goes away as it was impossible to wheel the car out on solid ground. I waited til may (and even then it was shit, we had temperatures below freezing til may 6th around here), but then the car came to Allan. We met at his garage that is just full of period stuff, we met his wife, talked a bit and then unfortunalley we had to go on. Didn’t have much time, I have some more cars, we decided to move to a bit less remote location (by accident just 20 miles from Allan his place), and we needed to sort out the cars that won’t move under their own power as long as I had the trailer. Few days later I met Allan at Trackdays, had the chance to drive his hot rod, had some fun, talked some stuff thru, and now I’m basically hunting for parts.

The A needed a new radiator, found one cheap, hopefully it’s not leakin’.

My buddy from Germany ran a Banger for few months until the main bearing went, and rebuild it to a Flathead afterwards, the dudes dad is a real maniac and a oldschool mechanic with mad skills, together they did overhaul the electrical system on the banger converted it to 12 volts, and since it wasn’t needed anymore it was up for grabs. I took it, together with a Leakless Waterpump and a gasket set for the engine. Sure, you could take any make of Alternator and it’ll work, but check this out, this shit looks old! Doesn’t look like a new ass alternator from a Honda, but almost like the old part!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370635959.792051.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370635977.741525.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370636007.301584.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370636026.768877.jpg

Allan also took most of my fears away considering getting the car on plates. I was expecting welding and tons of other stuff, but the car seems fine as is. Go thru the brakes, 12 Volts, carb linkage, adjust the clutch, build an exhaust, adjust the engine, swap the radiator, add a fuel pump and the car should be good to go. Hopefully.

The ride in Allans car showed me how much I wanted a Jalopy. Right now, that the car is not n my garage I even miss the smell of it. Used to go ther in the winter and sit in the car for a while until I froze my ass off enough to go back into the house. I sincerely hope It’ll be fine and that I can have it at my new place as soon as possible, but won’t rush shit, just to have it back.

Also contacted H&H Flatheads, I saw their engines in action, and damn, if they are not the place for an Engine, then I have no idea who is. Maybe I’ll make myself a nice birthday present next year? Should do it sooner than later, my girl is talking about havin’ kids more often than once a day for a while now, and something tells me that I’ll have to cut down on cars and car parts if we decide to actually make some children…

And because ain't no thread is worth a dime without pics, and because I love my Banger:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370636048.631859.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370636161.710944.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370636193.676801.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

7. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Time flies, huh?

It's been a while, and as it's usually are life and other things, more important than crappy old cars were in the way. My A is still in the state of a project. In the past three years a valve managed to get stuck wide open (compression 4-0-4-4, it's unstuck again as I write this), and as I was swapping the waterpump (which could have been on the Titanic) I had tears in my eyes as I was looking down the waterneck. The inside of the head wasn't as tragic though. There is a bunch of rust on the walls, but that seems to be it, the waterneck was overgrown with rust and whatever else.

I guess the engine will have to come apart anytime soon. For now I'd like to have it running for September. We'll see.

Other tragic discoveries? Yes. The wire harness is junk, I ordered a new one, once the lights were disconnected to pull the radiator, we couldn't be bothered to connect them back on, that's how bad it is...

But there are also positive things! The car got a 12V conversion, an electric fuel pump installed under the dash, it runs the downdraft carb and breaks excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is the optimal lenght for ignition cables on a banger?

slv63 likes this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

How did you get the hinge pins out of the doors?
    What are ignition cables?

9. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Hinges:

[​IMG]

Ignition cables are from a 1975 Ford Taunus with a Pinto engine. Way too long.

turboroadster likes this.
  10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hallo Adam

Nice to see progress, when will we see a video of this nice car driving.

Schöne altes Ford! Deinem A-model gefelt mich besser als deinem Granada :cool:

Are you running a Volvo distributior?

11. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Cool little car,i had the opportunity to play with one a few years back,it was a 28 sedan like yours,was a older resto,but was still very nice shape,it belonged to a friend of mine who was getting older and didnt use it as much as he should,it had a couple of stuck valves from running old crappy gas in it,he let me have it for a summer to see if i could work out the bugs,i drained the tank and put in fresh gas,removed the intake and covers on the valves,when they would stick open,i used a pair of pliers to pull them down,this went on for about 2 weeks,eventually they did loosen up,you could run some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and some in the engine,that stuff is a miracle in a bottle for this kind of stuff.When that car was running right it would cruise easy at 55 mph all day,however the brakes are not meant for those speeds,just take it easy and you will be fine. Harvey

12. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

13. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Why do you want a T bucket body when you got that nice a Tudor?

There was a fiberglass 31 roadster body on Veteranposten.d, Not that long ago and a Model T roadster body (with turtle deck on a Volvo frame on GulogGratis.dk

Shall I find the links?

15. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Because I want to race. The fiberglas roadster is dumb. The T roadster sounds good.

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, I see. I just like the look of the Tudor with a slight chop, or a good channel, but I get the racing part!
    Both the body I mentioned is fiberglass, sorry.

Yes fiberglass is a little silly, but is also light, and for a RPU, modified and a T bucket it should good enough.
    A coupe (except altered) I wouldn't do it.

[​IMG]

I got a thing for Tudors, and at some point I want one.

jay t. likes this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Have you talked to this guy?
    http://www.guloggratis.dk/biler/res...33923666-veteran-biler-ladefund-paa-sjaelland

There might be something you can use.

This is the Volvo based fiberglass T roadster:
    http://www.guloggratis.dk/biler/per...model/annonce/erhverv/27446228-hodrod-projekt

This belongs to @Dannerr

http://www.veteranposten.dk/visAnn.asp?Id=103240

Seems very nice for "Tupperware" lol
    I don't mind them in fiberglass but they take a lot of work, to look good, but so does a 90yrs old beaten hulk of a Danish roadster body!! Just saying

18. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

19. Awesome cars. Great pics. I love the roof of your house even more.

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Looking good, is that at Craig's?
    I only seen two pics from the outside.

Your car looks nice! Hope you enjoy it!

21. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

I love that car! Best to you man!

22. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Hello! It's been a while. After the last time I did something to it, the car has been shoved into the farthest corner of my mechanic's shop, and basically forgotten. I got a house, a kid, a wife, work has been buisy and whatnot. The usual. But then the world got a cough, and that opened a few weeks window to work on this piece of junk...

[​IMG]
    First it got a new butt, the idea was to keep as much of the original Henry sheetmetal as possible, and keep it on budget. The math don't lie, and therefore the whole project had to close within a certain number, basically what a running and registered one of these would cost, minus how much ever the car is worth in the condition w started with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Door bottoms on both sides, and the bottom of the left quarterpanel...
    [​IMG]
    And a patch the size of Texas on the right panel. The car was a chicken shed, and we think it was standing close to a wall with the passenger's side, where moisture could sit longer. The panel was full of tiny holes, that became bigger and bigger, and at some point there was simply no turing back...
    [​IMG]
    Then the car got inspected.

[​IMG]
    But since the car is 91 years old, there was a bunch of things that needed to be done afterwards. The most important thing was going back to the stock carb. The Ford carb was running shitty on the engine, and to remedy that I'd have to either rejet it, or (better idea) switch to a Stromberg 81, but that would mean more experiments, more improvising, more learning, and since it's been eight years I had this thing in the making, I decided to get it running with the stock Zenith and work out all the bugs this season, and if that works out, start hopping it up next winter. And yes, I realise that now a bunch of you guys will scream and cry that "it's a half an hour job to dial in the carb" blahblahblah, but for me it's also a learning curve, and I'm much better at taking challenges one at a time, starting with easier stuff.

A few more pics with the Ford carb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reconditioned carb in place:

[​IMG]

And on 20th of May I took it home, under it's own power, on it's own plates and all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It ran fine, in fact, the first thing I did was to blast past our village radar to see how fast it is (gauges don't work), and with the current setup it goes 51,5 mph no problem, and there is a bit more under the gaspedal.

Then I just drove it for no reason. Or yes, there was a reason, I need to learn the doubleclutching, and while shifting up works pretty good, reducing the gears will probably cost me a gearbox until I'll learn to do it smoothly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went home to get the wife and the car wouldn't start. Nothing. The starter makes no sound, jumpstart doesn't do a thing, so I figured that the starter died. I have no idea where my crank is, so I shoved the car into our driveway and asked for a starter or a crank in one of our local old car groups on the Facebook. The same evening I talked to a buddy of mine, and he told me to go and push the car in second gear to see if engine maybe has seeized, so I did, and the car goes nowhere, great... Just great.

[​IMG]

A day later, I talk to yet another friend, and he is like, "nah, it can't be seized", he thinks the starter just blocks the flywheel, apparently a common issue on the flatheads, I shall just get a crank and turn the engine over by hand. By the end of that day I sourced a crank, and tried to turn the engine, and sure enough, a slight plong and the engine is free. I tried to start the engine with the starter then, but now the battery seemed dead, WTF? So I cranked it, and drove a ferw times up and down the road, seemed to work fine, so I parked it and the next day I started on something I really wanted to do for years now...

[​IMG]

It was not a wash, but an archeological dig. I must have went thru a dozen of kitchen spoonges (the only thing that would take the grime). Funny enough, the car isn't half bad rustwise, most of what I thought was surface rust, was simply dirt, for example the roof, there is hardly anything. Of course it all looks shit, but it's far from FUBAR.
    Then I treated the car with stuff called Owatrol. It's an oil based rust treatment, that I simply applied with a brush and a rag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That day I managed only to do the cowl and smear that stuff around the windows...

[​IMG]

The day after, after work I did everything but the hood and the side with the patch...

[​IMG]

Now. I'm sure that Ellie English would take some rags, a bit of dirt and a spray can, and would be able to blend in the new patches so that noone would ever see what has been done, but I went another route.
    I have seen a period pic of a roadster at a dirt track with a Mickey Mouse on the side, so I asked a dude in the states, Art Fuentes, who is the master of that 1920's cartoon style, to come up with something based on some adjectives I throw at him. I didn't tell him what I want, just words. It took him a few days to come up with that:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  23. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

I was laughing tears. Ordered a few cans of 1-Shot and got to work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It took me three evenings to paint it on, and I hope that it will blend a bit more in with time. We'll see.
    I also had a dude over with a steam cleaner. The seats were so disguisting. Actually, the whole interior was really bad, I removed a 100 litre sack full of rockwool, junk, nails, rags and other crap before we even started doing the seats...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was not about getting it pristine, but about getting it more hygienic, to get out that smell, the diseases and chicken shit out... For now I covered it with some blankets, but there is alot of work left there to make it more pleasant.
    [​IMG]
    I tried out my new gauges too!
    [​IMG]
    Then I needed to drive the car to my mechanic to find out what's up with the battery. This time id didn't wanted to start with the crank.
    [​IMG]
    So I gave up and borrowed a booster.
    [​IMG]

KiWinUS and Stogy like this.
  24. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Turns out the generator wasn't charging, so that got rebuilt.
    [​IMG]
    And the car came back home...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I tried something... Roadkillshow has Stubby Bob, I shall have Sideshow Bob.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've seen this done to a Danish racer from the 1920's, I've seen it on a WW1 plane, and one of my best friends races a car that has a striped hood. See it as a band shirt, or showing flag if you want. I had it taped of for a day, and then I simply went for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last friday I took it to work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaaand it died on the ramp leading on the 4th floor. Ran out of gas. Had to get a jerrycan, and now I need to take off the carb again because it runs like shit. It must have sucked up some dirt from the tank, but yeawell. It's the Zenith carb, three pieces, it'll be fine.

Last weekend I got another part of the puzzle, basically gathering stuff for feature upgrades:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right now I'm making it a bit better every evening. Just doing things. Cleaning, adjusting, stuff like that. I even adjusted the doors because I couldn't stand that rattling noise...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KiWinUS, slv63, BirchRidge and 2 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the Fun...with a little bit of pain...but you seem to take it in stride...and that's the second set of Blue Blankets tonight I've seen, was there a sale? or its trendy perhaps...:D...Glad your realizing your dream @Gamlebilrokker...Ole Jalopy seems appropriate...Thanks for sharing...made my day...Love the Graphics...

26. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Ole Jalopy... Yea... Probably. I mean what else would you call it? I do this because I think it's fun. Don't really care what it ends up being, or what people think it should end up being.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Stogy and slv63 like this.
  27. Mate this is awesome. Keep up the fun & the posts. cheers
    Tony

Stogy likes this.
  28. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

It's been a while.

Almost every ride with that stupid thing in 2020 ended up in the shop. We've gone thru a radiator that didn't really fit, then rebuilt the one that was on the car, which had to be done twice until it worked as it should:

[​IMG]

Then the car decided it doesn't want to turn left anymore, and it got a replacement steering box, and a shitty '29 steering wheel that I wrapped because it was crumbling to bits:

[​IMG]
    Then on that day I wanted to put the car away for the winter I blew the headgasket:

[​IMG]

At least I knew this was comming, so I had spares, and after removing the head the engine's guts didn't look tragic either, so yea:

[​IMG]

Wanted to try out the magneto, but my second kid was born the day the heap was put back together, so decision was made again to experiment some other time, and put it back to how it was, and how I knew it was running:

[​IMG]

Then the clutch gave up, and since the car was in the shop anyway, this got sorted out too, and with a month delay I was able to drive the car to my friend's barn 6 miles away:

[​IMG]

29. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Fast forward to 2021, the car started no problem after being tucked away for 4 months...

[​IMG]
    The first thing I did was of course nothing practical, but started with pointless shit. The decorative stripes I painted on in 2020 according to maths, and therefore they swept upwards, and I didn't like that, so I masked them off however I thought they looked good, and corrected them:

[​IMG]

Then I colored the "nose art". The image was dissapearing into a blob of black and white, so after countless photoshop simulations, and after being super wishy washy about it like a child, I agreed on colors with the dude that drew it for me and after I got some more one shot I closed my eyes and went for it:

[​IMG]

Then the biggie. My wonderful tyres by Avon cracked badly in storage, and since I'm running no tubes, I decided to get new rears. It was a true shit show, because there was (is?) some random shortage of whitewall tyres, and it took foerever to not only get them shipped, but to find someone who will even be willing to take an order...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I need to swap the fronts now, to either a bit more whitewall, or a bit less height, but that has no real priority.

Then there was time for more dumb shit! My dad was born in a small village in northern Poland that is called Pieklo, which translates directly to Hell, and therefore he was nicknamed Devil for the best part of his life, and when I saw this dude for sale I simply had to have him:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we too the car to the beach races at Rømø (the Scandinavian Race of Gentemen). For the first time since 2016 the Jalopy hit the sand:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The whole September '21 I worked on the car almost every evening. I was so sick of the interior being a mess, that I spent about an hour a day sorting it out very slowly. I sandblasted whatever I could, removed all pointless nails and screws, painted everything but the inside of the roof black, gave the bits that were in original paint still a coat of wood oil, and made it all a bit more liveable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got my first speeding ticket too, my mom in law asked how fast it can go, and so I took it to our local radar (that just warns you if you are speeding), and blasted by with 57mph, and five feet later there was a mobile radar that actually gave away tickets...

[​IMG]
    I planned to drive the car until November, but I cut off my left thumb in the beginning of October, so I had to put it away for the winter a bit earlier. I think I drove to the storage on the 26th or so? No idea.

[​IMG]

30. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

This year I dug it out on our anniversary. In April I owned this dumb car for ten years...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Of course it started no problem, and drove away after five months of hibernation.

The first thing this year was to make it a race car:

[​IMG]

Well, the actual raeason for taping up the lights was that I lost a tab on the left one, and the glass was comming out, so until I find replacements I have to rock this look. The cats love it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pile of parts to hop it up is growing:
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't live with my broken and bent grille, so I made myself a birthday present, and swapped to chrome:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While cleaning the windows I scratched the windshield frame, and found out that I can scrape off the paint to reveal the original chrome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this year's Rømø races there was a chance for some pics with my friend's Coupe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These cars are very connected, but it's the first time ever, that they work at the same time, and we could go for a ride together:

[​IMG]

LOST ANGEL likes this.