Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antique welders?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by bauschracing, May 23, 2011.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I bought this one about five years ago off Craigslist for 75 dollars. Best I can tell from the serial number is that its a 56 model. This is the machine that I finally learned to burn rod very proficiently with. I had been burning a lot of 6013 because I didn't have the skill to burn 6011. I guess I burned nearly 50 pounds of 1/8" 6011 with it until I finally got the hang of doing the "whip" on thinner metal.

[​IMG]

2. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I picked this up awhile ago....

used for acouple outside rusty fixes, other than that it just takes up space.

anyone ever seen one?

[​IMG]

3. I grabbed a 1955 Lincoln "Tombstone" arc welder at the junkyard one day.It is a cool art deco design but has the cables cut off. I just liked the looks of it.....

4. I remember back in the 60's serving my apprentice using a Tig Machine about the size of a small tool shed:eek:

5. Mike53

Mike53

This bad boy is still in use at my work.Reminds me of the bomb Slim Pickens rode in"Dr.Strangelove"!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Some guys I know might say I'm an antique welder. :D ;)

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That's about what I thought. But I'm not really a welder. I have done lots of welding but I'm more of an Antique Machinist.

8. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I have a Forney welder identical to yours, I've had it for 30+ years, bought for $75 found it in the basement of an old warehouse, still works great.

9. dug up this old miller welder but i have no idea what it is or where to hook my whip& ground. Im hoping one of you welding veterans can assist, i can tell you what it does have (at least whats still labeled) its ac/dc switched, has a water cooler and a gas hook up, its at least 110v has 2 plugs one on front and one on back, no wire feed inside, i can only guess its a tig maybe a tig/stick please help my harbor frieght flux/mig burned up and i really need this one to pull through thanks any help is much appriciated. ( p.s. there is no model # or any designation at all other than the miller stickers on both sides)

Attached Files:

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought this one for 20 bucks, several years ago, tried it out and it works ! I would guess it's from the 30's. IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPG

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

mike53: If maintained properly those "Bad Boys" are excellent, & very heavy duty welders, although they do draw a lot of power compared to modern machines.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One guy thought it had belonged to "Grandpa Munster".

14. Welditall60

Welditall60

I call this one Frankenwelder......its a P&H welder from WWII with a stovebolt six cylinder motor from 1943 , a 1929 Chevrolet radiator that amazingly doesn't leak and a fuel tank that has Henry Ford and Sons stamped in the metal on the ends of it. I am rebuilding the top end on the motor and we will see how it does real soon!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool looking unit Weldtail60. I need to dig my old Forney out and put it back in the garage. I've got a project that I really need the power it can supply to burn some rods.
    Great old thread that I had forgotten all about.

16. Welditall60

Welditall60

17. Welditall60

Welditall60

Thanks......I will post when I get it together and let you know how it does and show more pics

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

My first welder was a trade in at the Gambles store I wish I had a picture it was a Wards with a cast aluminum top with about 10 taps and the case was wood. It was easy to start an arc but unless you had gloves it would bite you when changing the welding rod.

19. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I couldn't remember posting in this thread, I guess I did 7 years ago...
    here's my latest vintage welder (generator)
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. As a weldor/fabricator/BlueFlame Chev. 6 fan, this is the single greatest piece of machinery I have ever seen!
    [​IMG]

1953naegle and Old wolf like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Funny I just stumbled upon this thread. I just sold my dad's similar Forney at an estate sale last week. I think I got around $35 for it. It was easily worth that just in its weight in copper inside it as it weighed a ton.

I'm using all Miller state-of-the-art TIG and MIG now so I don't need it.

22. Ive got one of those Lincoln tombstone welders and a lincoln wire welder. But the prize is a lincoln pipeline special 600 amp that is continious duty at 375 amp. It has a 350 cu in 6 cyl welder 001.JPG welder 002.JPG welder 003.JPG flathead hercules engine. The mag wouldnt fire so I rigged a 12 volt coil and it works great. I traded some goats for it. the engine was stuck but we soaked the cyls in diesel and atf and it came loose.

VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  23. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I have a fantasy project that involves using an old 235 in a gen-set, mainly for 3-phase power but possibly with a welder, so it's good to know Its been done before. Everything I see utilizes diesel or other more standard industrial power plants, but I like the idea of using a stovebolt as I'm already familiar with them and they're easy to find.

Full story: I think it would be fun to build a self powered portable machine shop inside a 20' cargo container, and the 235 would run the generator and possibly even directly power some old shaft driven machinery I have.... just need to finnish some other projects first...

24. Reciently I bought a 250 chev power unit. It has a V belt pulley bolted to the flywheel used the same blots that would be used for the pressure plate. I think this setup would bolt to a stove bolt truck flywheel and work great for what you envision. 250 power unit 004.JPG 250 power unit 005.JPG

VANDENPLAS and 1953naegle like this.
  25. Chris430

Chris430

Sears And Roebuck model# 113.20151 50-295 amp stick welder
    Grandpa bought this used in 1969 and dad passed it to me. Recently revamped the ground side with new Miller parts. According to a link someone posted on another forum the 113 translates Emerson built it for Craftsman. Now that I have admitted to reading glasses I can see what I am doing.

http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsman/manufacturers.aspx

IMG_20230510_203237491.jpg IMG_20230501_162232327_HDR.jpg

down-the-road likes this.
  26. Chris430

Chris430

Hello, is the hand stamped B59 code the month and year it was made?

27. Make your own gas o_O with a vintage carbide welder . Did they have liability waivers in the 1930s :rolleyes: . These things can be bought new in India, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka.

carbide 1.png carbide 2.png carbide 3.png carbide 4.png

28. How about a 5 gallon metal pail with a wooden top on it. A small breather on the top with a few power taps. 220 volts. Heavy as hell and bet it is full of PCB oil. Works great. These were built in the 1950's by a guy in Rotterdam N Y in his home shop.. He had them advertised in Popular Mechanics back then I was told. Just gave it to my son as he is starting to collect tools for his projects. Will get a photo of it next time I am at his place.