Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How old were you when you got your first dream hot rod/ car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Jun 28, 2020.

1. And how old were you when you got that same car back? :) HRP

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. I've told this in the past.

Back in to 60's we had a neighbor that lived behind us on a corner lot, Mr. Burton was his name, I never knew his first name and from the time I was 11 years old I cut his grass during the summer.

He drove a 53/56 Ford truck to work and had had some kind of accident and walked with a bad limp that's probably why I cut his grass.
    Anyway,I would go to his barn and get what I needed to do his yard work and there half covered with a old canvas army tent was a 32 Ford 5-window coupe.

I always looked forward to entering that sacred tomb each summer until that day in early June 1962 he told me that my services were no longer needed, he explained that he was moving up north to live with his sister and ask me did I want the lawnmower to go into business cutting other folks yards, I gladly went to the shed to retrieve the mower and gaze one last time at the coupe which had not moved the whole time we lived next to him.

I ask him if he gonna drive the old car to his sisters or pull it and he said No, son I'm going to sell the old gal and I fired back how much?

His answer was already established because 75 bucks came back as quick as I ask. I'll buy it I said.
    He looked at me and said we need to talk to your dad and not wanting my dad to say no I told Mr. Burton I would talk to dad tonight when he gets home from work.

Next dad I sat outside Mr. Burton's front door and it seemed to be a eternity but I knew he worked second shift and I didn't dare wake him up thinking it just might screw things up.

Around noon he exited his house and ask how long had I been there and if I had discussed the sale with my dad? I told him I just came over a few minutes ago and dad said it was OK with him.

BTW, I never once said a word to my dad because I really didn't need the money having robbed my cigar box and with grass cutting money,birthday money and my entire life savings I had enough money and some change, enough money to buy the coupe and fix it up. I was 12 years old and didn't have a clue , I didn't know what I do today.

So, I handed Mr. Burton my hard earned cash and we proceed to unearth the coupe. Man,That car was nice and it still had original black paint,flathead V8,and all 4 tires were flat but I had the biggest grin on my face as I fought with all my might trying to guide it as Mr. Burton pulled it behind his truck across his yard into my parents side yard.

I was the happiest kid in the world for about three hours.

That was when my dad got home and the first words out of his mouth was what was that junk car doing in our yard? from there it got ugly when he called Mr. Burton and woke him up, remember Mr. Burton worked 2nd shift and was a little more than annoyed,then he and dad got into a debate about not clearing it with him first and that I was 12 years old and had no business with a car and for him to come and get it out of his yard and if he wanted to keep the money Danny gave you for lying to us both and he would take care of me.

Hearing my dad say he would take care of me I knew exactly what was gonna happen, they don't call this part of the country the Bible Belt for nothing.

Heavy on the belt, to make a long story coming to a end Mr. Burton gave me my money back and had a big laugh and within a couple of days a few days both he and the car were gone,, never to be seen again.

Many years later my dad and I talked about what had now become known as the ol' ford incident and how he never dreamed that I would ever be able to restore and build cars from the ground up and how badly I wanted that car and how he was proud of me when people would stop by our business and ask about the different cars that
    I would drive to work.

At that time the 32 Ford coupes were already reaching unheard of prices and he just couldn't believe it.

A few weeks before my dad passed away the subject came up again he said I sure hope you find a old coupe like that one someday and I told him it was probably a good thing he didn't let me keep it I would have tried to made a hot rod out of it and gotten myself killed!

He smiled and said Nobody will ever know son we can't go back but if I could I you would let to keep that car.

All you guys got is my word on this because all the players are deceased with the exception of myself and nobody knows what happened to that 32 coupe back in the summer of 1962 but I'm willing to bet the owner ain't 12 years old!

Just a footnote to the story, I did get the lawnmower and used it to add additional cash to my cigar box and purchased a 1954 Ford a couple of years later, with dad's approval this time. :) HRP

Montana1, Shutter Speed, clem and 6 others like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"HRP" - It sounds like your dad and mine would have gotten along just fine (to the both of ours detriment, I'm afraid).:(

4. 4tford

4tford

I don't remember how old I was but I had a few years before I could drive but I got a chance to buy a 51 mercury that had a bad engine. I bought the car and just cleaned it up and sat there thinking about getting the money to get a engine from the junk yard. This was in the late 50's so there were plenty of old car parts available. I never did get that car on the road. I sold it when I was 16 and bought a 41 ford coupe with a 53 merc flathead for 100 dollars and it was a great car. Man buying and selling old cars back in the late 50's early 60's was a great time when you had limited funds.

alanp561 likes this.
  5. At 14 saw my first sprint car race. At 19 bought a 'one-step-ahead-of-the-creditor' racers complete set-up. Race ready car, including all the spare parts and a converted 3/4 ton flatbed hauler.

alanp561 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

Dream hot rod I don't think I could ever afford, but the hot rod I have I got when I was about 33

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

14 or 15 yrs old and I bought a 48 Anglia Prefect for $30. It was a stocker not running at least I didn't try to get it running. My parents never knew I had it, my father would have killed me if he ever found out. I kept it in a friends garage in Astoria NY until he got fed up with me and then moved it to Elmhurst where I lived, in another rented garage until I got kicked out of there and paid a tow truck $15. to tow it away. My plans were to put a 409 in it and run A/G. Well that never happened.

Pat

alanp561 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I think my "Dream Car" was many different cars at different times in my life. My First car I have talked about here, in 1964, I'm 16. a 57 Chevy 210 2 door sedan. Got into open wheel racing 1970(Midgets) then 1987 Wing Sprint cars through 91, 21 years of fun, first new Midget was big deal, first Sprint car was big. Then I started building a 32 Roadster, dream car since McMillan roadster in Hot Rod magazine, 1966 or so, But a good friend pointed out at the rate I was getting it done, I'b be too old to drive it. I ran my business for 36 years which at times leaves a man short on time, money not an issue, So..... I bought one, a 29 HighBoy Roadster, enjoyed it very much for 7 years, then had the opportunity to trade for an unfinished 32 3 window, A dream car for me, finished it, enjoyed 8 years, next decided I wanted a dream 49-51 Mercury, purchased a 51, not really my dream Merc but close enough, spent time money making it mine, very dependable cruiser for an OLD guy to be cruisin in, 2 shows and 360 miles this past weekend. Today if we talk about another Dream car for me, it would be a restomod style 57 Chevy. I'm always Thankful, Grateful how my life has gone, have stated many times, I'm a very Lucky man.

210superair and alanp561 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I put a 430 MEL in a 55 Ford my Grandfather gave me when I was 15, in 1966. But I was 67 when I got my 1965 Galaxie XL!

Bones

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Bought my first 57 Chevy in 4th grade. 9 years old. It sat at a friends ranch for quite a few years before we brought it to town to work on.
    23 years from purchase I finally got to drive it, full frame off everything build, probably the nicest car ill ever own. Lots done by myself and my dad, finished out by a pro shop. Only thing id change now is the wheels that are on it, and they will be, just not sure when

1934coupe likes this.
  11. At 14 I discovered the 55 Chevy by myself.They looked like my grandmothers 57 Chevy,but cleaner,and simpler.I spent hours going through the JC Whitney catalog looking for cool stuff to put on one.I worked in a resturant bussing tables,and at 16 had the bucks for a sea mist green/white 55 2 door post car with a 265. Im 65 now,and looking for a 4 door to do the 2 door conversion on since Ive got doors.Im going to paint it sea mist green/white. As a kid I was a parts scrounger.Some one gave me at model A frame so I took it.At 18 I found a 31 RPU cab for 25 bucks,and my hot rod building began.I have more plans for cars than I have years left on this earth !

12. Just like the Beatles song.....when I'm 64.:D
    Had it a total of 23 years, off and on........

Shutter Speed likes this.
  13. Dream car? Two door Tri-5, when I was 14-15, that is what I wanted and it didn't matter which. Found a '57 Belair sport coupe and held on to it.

Now, 31 model A with east coast styling.

Attached Files:

irishsteve, 56don and 1934coupe like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I must have been about 30. My buddy Bill called me up to look at a '39 Dodge coupe that was for sale. When we got there, it turned out to be a'40 Dodge. We were discussing the merits of the car when I realized that if I was going to sink money in another old car, it had better be one I really want; not one that was available. I would like a '40 Ford. Either coupe or tudor, standard or deluxe. I remembered one with a for sale sign in front of Gowin's Wheel Alignment shop when I was a kid for $95 but it might as well have been a million. Anyhow, we spotted an ad for a '40 Ford sedan in the Western Producer for $600 somewhere in Saskatchewan and we were off and running and managed to drag it home. Up to this point, I had worked on cars with parts from the wreckers and cars bought as parts donors. I wasn't prepared for the world of '40 Fords that I saw in the magazines. It looked like every part imaginable was made for these cars so I went through the catalogs and priced out everything and went into sticker shock. Ended up trading it for a '49 Monarch - another car on the wanted list. Turns out I wasn't ready for that one either. Now many years later and with a lot more "street rod" parts wasted on my T coupe, and enough garage space to pull it off; I could take one on if I didn't have all the other cars. Bill bought the '40 Dodge coupe and we finished it off with no problem.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Gearhead how about some pictures? This was my first 57 it was 1968 and I sold it when Uncle Sam sent me a letter saying "Greetings" that was Feb 69. 1st 57 005.jpg 1st 57 004.jpg

Pat

16. Blake 27

Blake 27

Flathead T Full Size (4).jpg 2004 (2).jpg Blake's T-2095 (4).jpg In the years from grammar thru high school in my home town of Placerville Ca. my favorite car was always "Hosford's" T, a full fendered 27, red lacquer, white top and interior, and wide whites, running a 48 Ford flathead and later a 265 Chevy.
    Around 1968 it came up for sale but I'd just spent all my money on a 396 Big block for the 57 Chev I had at the time. I started saving as fast as I could but the T sold to someone else.
    Fast forward 36 years, I heard that the car had been sitting in a barn since the day it sold back in 68.
    After finding the owner's wife, he had passed away, I made a deal and at the age of 57 I finally had my "Dream" car.

17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man had to wait a while for my first old school. Early 30s. I had a few cool cars over the years, but not an old hot rod. In the 90s just out of high school I had a dodge stealth rt twin turbo, awd. That car was a ripper and the ladies loved it... Lol. At 16 I had a 79 Malibu, but it was a 4 door, had a 6 Cyl, and only ran on 5 of um most the time... Doesn't count as a hot rod for sure!

18. birdman1

birdman1

14 I got a '51 Merc coupe. 6 months later I wreçked it!

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1983 at 39.. Didn’t look like it does now. Our Dry Lake roadster. 1F3E4AAA-8A6C-4435-A90A-7596AF75585F.jpeg

2012 at 68 I bought the Street Car I wanted. Changed a little too. A54F16A4-8C94-4FF5-817F-6D322FE1604C.jpeg

56don, Tman and 1934coupe like this.
  20. clem

clem

I’m sure that nobody on here doubts you at all.......
    ........besides, who could make up a story like that.........:D

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am 70 and owned over 150 cars and trucks. Started drawing cars when I was about 12 when my brother started buying the little car mags before they became full size.
    Still haven't found a keeper and have had some cars that guys would die for.
    I still dream about cars.

1934coupe likes this.
  22. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model cars at 12 (talk about dream-inducing!).

1:1 scale @ 60.

Long damn dream!

1934coupe likes this.
  23. Close....but good enough for the girls I go out with.....dad wouldn't let me bring home the first 65 4 sp but sadly -mom - who took me to look at it - was all on board with it - at 16. Would by that same car a year or two later after it got side swiped sitting on the street and parted it out. Found this original 4sp at 62 yrs....it had been on the trailer since the 80's. 65 Form S on trailer.JPG

1934coupe likes this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

1990 at 24 years old me and a pal went to the Super Chevy Show in New Jersey. I took a ton of pictures. Later that year I got my rolls of film developed (remember those days?)
    I was showing my coworkers the pictures and one of the girls I worked with says "hey, that's a 57 Chevy! I have one sitting in my backyard "
    I followed her home after work and made a deal with her dad that day. $800.00 for a badly rotted, non running, brakes locked up 57 belair 2door sedan. I looked past the rust, the tattered door panels, the locked up 283, the frozen drum brakes. All I saw was. . . . My dream car
    20170225_133220.jpg

1934coupe and 56don like this.
  25. I used to have one just like that. Only no rust ever and it was running good. Paid $100 for it but that was back in 1973.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Can't tell how many Tri-5 Chevrolet's I turned into dirt track cars . I had a 69 Charger 500 with a hemi and I was getting shipped overseas to sunny Southeast Asia. the guy I sold it to made it into a Pikes Peak hill climb car. I bet he is kicking himself in the head for doing that.

wheeldog57 likes this.