Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars for sale, or are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, May 8, 2020.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The thing about being “sold to” that is that the person doing the selling has to assume an awful lot about the person he’s selling to.

So they either start out by asking annoying questions or by making annoying assumptions.

Blues4U likes this.
  2. Nothing to think about. A good salesman will know his buyer, and sell accordingly.

wvenfield likes this.
  3. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

And that right there is the hang up. Most are not good salesman. Most salesman are just jaw flappers.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

A really good salesman is a world class practical psychologist.

waxhead and midnightrider78 like this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Not worth
    \

You're price is too high for here...peruse FB market place, lotta nice deals if you're buying...no so much on the HAMB;)

So say a field truck '62 Chevy...5K here, 1200 on FB....well...So to you your car is worth X, to me...maybe not

Guess if you are holding out for top dollar, best be a top dollar car.

Gasser 57 and RRanchero Rick like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

\

Maybe for you, yuo may have bought things yuo didn't really need/want. All good,

But some folks like myself would't pay a dime for a bucket of water in the middle of a fire.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

An old timer once told me if you never have lookers or people showing any interest or asking questions about what you have for sale you will never have a buyer!
    When many cars are for sale for months or years people start wondering it there is a problem with the car you are selling. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the car other then the price.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the times we are in right not are very uncertain and many people have not been working so for them money is very tight.

Ask yourself is this a great time to be selling a car? Be honest with your self it's not!
    Try and ask everyone who shows interest in your car what they like about the car and what they do not like about the car and you may find the answer to why it is not selling..

My favorite saying is people get the right answers to the wrong questions in life.

When a friend at a car show show a car for sale he asked me if I would go with him to talk to the seller.
    I let my friend ask all of the questions he had first and when he was done I asked the seller a few questions such has what does the car need right now if my friend bought it.
    He went on to list problems with the rear gears, a shifting problem along with a few other things he said they needed work.
    Many owners will not be so honest and tell you things like that.

Is this a great time to be a buyer? It could be if you have the money and maybe buyers think the car market is going lower so they tend to wait longer before making any major purchase.

I have friends who have told me my car has been for sale for over 5 years and when I ask them if they have had any offers they tell me yes but that I would rather die with the car then sell for that price.
    My reply to what he said was the old saying "Be careful what you wish for"

It's not easy selling a beautiful car but in my opinion it's harder today then it has been in a long time.

Jimbo

clunker likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

I read this whole thread and some people need to go back to work and are just bored.
    I sold my avatar last year. I had posted it up here for sale after some health issues and I didn't think I was going to be able to finish it.
    I never bumped it and had forgotten that I had posted it. The buyer found it and contacted me.
    I gave him a price and he agreed on it sent me a deposit and came and picked it up.
    No hassle no back and forth on the price. He had read the whole build that I had posted on this sight so he knew what he was getting.
    Maybe if some of you sellers would do the same with your builds people would see what they are getting when you post . Of course if you are a flipper then you just have to deal with the low ballers.

fordflambe and jnaki like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Like everyone that sells a car or two, trying to get top dollar is the goal. But, for some, it is/was a definite reason to sell and no amount was going to hold back the sale. Being said, it was usually the “best offer takes…” As teens, we did not have the luxury of a huge backyard with plenty of storage areas waiting for clunkers to sit around. The houses that did have them, were the ones where every hungry teenager would scour to see what was under that white canvas covering littered with weeds.

Our philosophy was sell one in order to buy another. That seems logical and practical with what money we had or saved. So, a string of cars that we sold was priced to sell. In other words, a great deal on that hot rod or cruiser. When my brother wanted the 58 Impala after seeing one at the local Chevy dealer, nothing was going to stop him from buying it. He had plenty of money from his afterschool job.

I thought that money was going to be for building up the original Model A coupe. Wrong… the Model A was sold to one of his friends for twice what we paid, $10 and it was running. The 51 Olds was sold to another neighborhood friend for a super low cost and it was gone within a week after the Impala rolled into the driveway.

The mantra of “sell one to get another” was working well. Plus, it was only a two car garage, not a three or four car garage with a huge lot.

Jnaki

Most cars for sale on the HAMB cater to a certain clientele. Online, there are a zillion more for sale in all ranges and costs. Sometimes, we keep seeing the same car for the same price. That is being hard headed and actually did not want to sell in the first place. Or, he/she was holding out for what they put into the build. (that won’t happen for 95% of the builders)

For some, the cost advertised is acceptable and the deal is made. But for some, a sale will happen if the cost and value to the buyer is less than listed. So, the new mantra is “Get Real.” Low balling the actual cost is not the best way to start a negotiation. The seller has to think he is getting a “deal” on the sale and vice versa.

Actual cash in hand at a lower cost sometimes is a great motivator, only if you are not in outer space.
    upload_2020-6-4_4-31-1.png
    I guess I could have gone off to college in my Flathead Sedan Delivery or in the 58 Impala. That was the initial choice. But, looking at those two forms of hot rods and the first time worry of my mom for me going away from home, did the trick. She told me to sell both cars and then we would buy a new car for me to drive the 800 mile round trip anytime of the year, from home to Northern California and back. She would not worry if I had a new car.
    upload_2020-6-4_4-39-56.png
    The sedan delivery sold within a week to another surfer. No bartering, as he only saw what he wanted and paid cash. The Impala was sold within another week to a good friend that was going to buy his first car. He knew the Impala as he had been in it many times and knew how I took care of cars. He had a good mechanical background, so I knew it was going to be in good hands. Then, a new 65 El Camino rolled into our driveway ready to take the youngest kid away from home.

10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Guy offers 20% less than asked.
    When that doesn’t work, he offers me one last chance to accept his offer; which he tells me is all the money he has as he has 5 young kids.
    He is contacting me this last time because he is getting ready to commit on buying a 32 3w that is all steel. Hell, I’d buy that 3w for $25k!! Why would he want my dang sedan delivery if really can get 3w?
    I thought guy was real but realized otherwise.
    I believed until suddenly he had a much better deal than anybody’s seen.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I’m sorry. I have my numbers wrong. He offered 30% less to start. Should have known he was just a dreamer.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^^^ I would call that offer an insult and end the negotiation right then and there.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have no problem with someone taking a swing........you never know. But once you are shot down drop it or raise your sites.

safetythird, 6inarow, chopped and 2 others like this.
  14. exterminator

exterminator

I had quite a time selling my conv as it took well over a year to sell it. I couldn't sell it on hamb even though I got a few trade offers which I had no interest in. Had some cash offers on another site and a couple of those would be insults to some and I took them as jokes and quit responding to them. Sold my car a week and a half ago and one person who came by and checked it out before I sold it called and said she was going to come by again I think to make a low ball offer. It felt good to tell her the car was sold and gone. Yeah!:D

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

IMG_0642.JPG 91 days is too short a time frame to cancel an ad. Not long ago I sold a frame off restored 63 Impala. #'s matching 300 HP 327, 4 speed, A/C and all the goodies. Not cheap but had it listed on the HAMB Classifieds and it took right at a year to sell. Held out until someone met my price. Sold for the asking price. Some times it just takes patience. How can you complain about an ad that cost you nothing? You can't. Thank you HAMB Classifieds.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Gman , I am in no way complaining about the ad!!
    Like you and I’m sure many many others I appreciate and enjoy the H.A.M.B. classifieds.
    I’m just sharing some recent experience as have many others.
    Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Al, I didn't say you were complaining. You just met up with a Dip Shit.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

If I have something priced high, it's because I don't care if I sell it or keep it. However, I usually start higher than I think it's worth to end up where I think it should be, and I never have had things for sale for a long time, so....

19. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

20. I'm in a buying mode, see some cars here but too far to travel right now with all the virus and unrest crap.

Looked at a few OT cars on Craigslist, some sold before I made a move but a couple I was quite interested in, there was no seller contact information. Maybe they are putting the ads up to placate a wife.

chopped and Hamtown Al like this.
  21. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

"Restoration started"-means I took a bunch of parts off and lost them.

22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got one in the classifieds now - a '47 Ford Coupe. A lot of description and what I think are good pictures too. I think it is priced pretty well...but I haven't even got a sniff yet. I know the post-war Fords are the ugly step-children of the old car world but I figured I would have gotten some sort of response. Nobody has even bothered to give me a lowball offer that I can ignore.

Like it has already been mentioned, pretty regularly you will see the chicken little posts about the sky falling and the old car market drying up and disappearing. However, right now, I think with the pandemic that the market has gotten soft in the short term due to a high rate of unemployment and some uncertainty about when things are going to turn around.

However, with all that being said, I am convinced he market will be back and it is only a question of when. It is a bummer for me right now because I have already found something else that I want to buy but I'm stuck until the car I currently have is sold. I'm pretty sure that by the time I get it gone the other car will have long been sold...

23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold every hot rod I wanted to sell. Always tried to present them honestly for a fair price. Some
    of the prices I see on adds are far out !

rocketdog22 and RRanchero Rick like this.
  24. When I was 19 years old, I worked for a guy selling antiques. I didn’t know anything about anything. He pointed to some thing and asked me “How much do you think that’s worth?” I looked at it, and began to tell him what I thought it should cost. He interrupted me before I even said a word, and said “Wrong. It’s worth exactly what someone will pay for it. Not one cent more. Not one cent less.”

That logic takes all the uncertainty out of transactions like this. You can ask any price you want. It’s all fair game. You can ignore people. You can be insulted by offers. You can tell people to pound sand. When you finally sell your car, the price the buyer paid IS the value of your car. Period. If you were asking X, and got no buyers, then your car was not worth X. Maybe in the future it will be, but it wasn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

bobss396, being as you are in a buying mood, what are you interested in? Someone reading this thread may be able to help you out.

Thor1 likes this.
  26. dserge

dserge
    from WV

I am like Thor I have my 35 Chevy Sedan listed for sale and I haven't had anybody really interested. I don't think it is over priced at $19,500.00. What can you buy for that kind of money? It is a finished car nice paint , full custom interior , fairly fresh drive train and it is a proven take it anywhere performer. Again, like Thor its not a 32 Ford coupe but it is a great looking sub $20,000.00 car. I would have though the guy's would be all over this car for this kind of money. I don't think anybody will say I am asking to much for it.

fordflambe and Thor1 like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

dserge, saw a picture of your car on the HAMB Classifieds and think its reasonably priced. Hang in there. You couldn't build that car fo $19,500. Good entry level streetrod which would be good for a newbie just getting into our hobby.

BTW I had a 35 Chevy tudor I built back in the nineties that I had no trouble selling.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Thor1 and 5window like this.
  28. 5window

5window

I saw your car in previous posts. It looks nice in a 1.5" photo. It kind of saddens me that all of your posts are just listing things for sale, though.

Beanscoot likes this.
  29. 6inarow

6inarow

at the end of the day, the buyer sets the price

lonejacklarry and Thor1 like this.
  30. Seon

Seon

Asking price is asking price. Plant a stake in the sand and go from there. If you want it, make an decent offer. If you want to sell and the offer is close, then make a counter offer. Hopefully both will reach the happy medium. If both are too far apart then it wasn't meant to be. Say, "Thanks" then move on. Nuff said. ;) .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Cosmo50, Thor1 and Hamtown Al like this.