Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. Jeff34

Jeff34

Hahahahhaha

Yup. Been there done that! Good on ya.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds about right

loudbang likes this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Your right they look really good from here but I’m sure they’re really shitty
    Don’t be so hard on this little old pickup. It’ll be awesome! With the hood closed.
    Sorry couldn’t help myself, I think there great. Did you use stainless wire?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Matt, did you find a flywheel yet? If not PM me for David’s number.

loudbang likes this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes thanks Ron I did find a flywheel.

And yes Wyatt I used stainless wire. Didn't make a difference

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That looks hard, I'm about to tackle a similar chore and I don't weld as good as you do.

loudbang likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It's always the smallest little job that takes seemingly forever and is a total pain. With the boxed frame I needed brackets to hold the brake hoses(yes I forgot about them) I wasn't in love with using self tapping screws so I pulled the reader most crossmember bolt out and welded up a flag on a new longer bolt. 2 hours of fishing with wire and magnets I have the brackets installed. Cheap Russell jobs that I filed a hex into. Yuck. IMG_2016.JPG

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s always the shit no one notices. I’ve been trying to figure out how to run a front brake line threw the frame rail with some sort of bulk head fitting but all I find is stuff for doing that with a boxed frame.

I’m probably missing the obvious but I’m confident I’ll figure it out after spending 12 hours hand making a part I won’t use lol

j-jock, brEad, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Tim what about using a longer line and just drilling a clearance hole in the outer rail and installing the clip and nut at the boxing plate?

loudbang and Tim like this.
  10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Been there done that and have the scars. You just learned how not to do it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s an idea.

I had considered drilling the hole in the frame the exact same size as the hole in the brackets that take the C clip and then just clipping it but I think the thickness of the frame would make the groove for the c clip land inside the frame wall.

I know Vern Tardel shows his cars with the hose connecting right to the in boxes frame rail so I know I’m just hunting for the right fitting.

bending and placing hardlines is one of my favorite parts of building a car. Making the flares with a shitty tool is probably one of my least favorite parts lol. I’m gonna suck it up and spend, steal or borrow the fancy $$$ flaring tool when I plumb the A

brEad and loudbang like this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have an old snap on manual flare tool. When I do my part right it works great! It doesn't work with the new plastic coated steel line, so I ordered a roll of really nice copper lined zinc coated steel from one of our hydraulic fitting suppliers. It's pretty stuff!

Atwater Mike, j-jock, brEad and 2 others like this.
  13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2018.JPG Well after two weeks of snivelling, avoiding it and pissing around with other things I finally finished the passenger header. Thanks to my buddy Mike for giving me shit and quit being a bitch. So after five more hours die grinding I have headers and a complete exhaust system! Thanks to my buddy Jeremy for bending the pipes. My arms are still vibrating!

Three long days in the shop, lots done and hopefully more done by the end of the week, in between work and picking blackberries!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good deal man! Getting close

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I thought I had just opened up a StreetRodder periodical when I saw this latest pic.
    Go man go!

brEad, kidcampbell71 and dumprat like this.
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

17. Jeff34

Jeff34

Looks like you put your fuel pump in the same place I did. Make sure to set the pressure and check for any leaks before you put the bed back on...It's much easier than crawling under to do that work.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Good idea. I am going to put a regulator on the firewall down low.

loudbang likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Way back when in this thread I hacked up an old Chevy dash to fit my truck, truth is I never had a 33-34 dash in all the junk I collected. A couple weeks ago I found a cheap one on Craigslist. It was horriblypitted and had some nasty leadwork. Perfect to hack up to fit an Stewart Warner ensign panel. I whipped up that piece today and will fit it soon as it gets cooler. Going to see if my tach will fit nicely where the spot of lead was. It was glob, I melted most of it off already. IMG_2023.JPG

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2031.JPG Got bored of doing productive shit and tired of getting rained on by rust flakes. So I cleaned and wire brushed the inside and proceeded to paint the inside. I brushed it on and it looks pretty good where the surface is nice and smooth.
    Seeing as my my mom chucked the spray gun bottle for the old Electrolux in about 1984 I am seriously thinking of brushing and wet sanding the outside. The street rodders will hate it, the general public won't get it, and I think it's an awesome idea.

21. Looks great! Are you still planning to chop the top?

loudbang likes this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not sure, I might but I want to drive it first. I want a driver not a car show queen that is miserable to drive.

23. I hear you there. I am really happy with how mine drives and I never did want to chop it. There are a few guys that seem to need to tell me it has to be chopped. It’s difficult for me to care any less about their opinions.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Maybe if ya had very thin seats and an automatic you could have a driver and a chop. If you were 4'6" tall.

Atwater Mike, Six Ball, brEad and 3 others like this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

50mm shave should suffice for the street with or without a sliver of seat.
    Sorry kids were reading Dr. Seuss.

brEad, Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Topping the truck would be totally terrible?

brEad and loudbang like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like the brush paint idea. I'm thinking of that for my roadster. On a Chevy I could paint each piece before attaching it to the wood frame and touch up where needed.

loudbang and Tim like this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Six Ball that is the great part about this for me. I a man too crude with cars, with brushed paint I can touch up and buff out all my marks.

29. guitarguy

guitarguy

Tractor paint is pretty good. I think that is the direction myself and a friend are going on ours.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am using a urethane marine enamel. (I live in boat country) it's pretty tough once it's hard. And it sticks well to a rougher surface.

loudbang and Six Ball like this.