Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Roadster Pickup........picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Why? Would you rather have a gas tank sitting right in front of you behind the dash in the cowl ? Not much difference really.

Lots of hot rods run tanks in the bed, pretty much every T with a small pickup bed.

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

4. loudbang

loudbang

5. Well, I'm not telling anyone how to build their hot rod. It's a personal decision and personally, I wud never do that. That's all i'm saying. I've seen what people who were set on fire look like and it ain't pretty. Even if you're not set on fire, I wouldn't want to take a gasoline bath. Now, maybe you live in an area where you're the only car around for a 100 miles and the chances of having an accident are slim. I live in an overly crowded area between two metropolitan cities. You're going to get creamed at some point and in some manor becuz everyone drives like maniacs. That's why the insurance rates are out of sight here. Remember late model pickup trucks in the '70s, and into the early '80s, I think, had the gas tank behind the seat in the cab and it was outlawed becuz people were getting injured - read that burned - and killed, due to ruptured gas tanks, especially when they were T-boned. And, those tanks were surrounded by a lot of metal. Imagine what wud happen to gas tanks and people who were both out in the open.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Some people like to live dangerously. That's their prerogative. Party on!

chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  7. No, Ralph Nader took care of that years ago. And, for the record, I don't think much of him, either. As far as Model A's are concerned, I wud not use the cowl as a gas tank. Neither do the folks in my area who own Model A's.

Look, I didn't mean to start some sort of controversy here, I just said that I wudn't do that. That's my personal choice. You, and everyone else are free to make your personal choice, too, whatever it may be.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes:This is all I can think of to respond to you.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"I live in an overly crowded area between two metropolitan cities. You're going to get creamed at some point and in some manor becuz everyone drives like maniacs."

If I felt that way I wouldn't be driving around in a car made of part of a 20s or 30s car no matter where the gas tank is located. In any of the cars pictured here if you are in a collision serious enough to reach the gas tank you probably didn't survive the impact anyway. That said I'm trying to get my tank ahead of the rear end and between the frame rails. It may have to be two smaller tanks.

05snopro440 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

The concern for safety is a legitimate one, but let's face reality here. If your number one concern is foolproof safety, than there is no such thing as a safe Model A hot rod or 32, 33 or 34 hot rod for that matter. The only good and 100% safe location for a fuel tank in such a car is buried deep in a pit in your far away neighbor's yard. There is NO 100% safe location for a tank in one of those cars whether it's the stock cowl tank, in the trunk, in the rear where Ford placed it originally, or a saddle tank (or tanks). In fact, if you're in a very serious accident in one of those cars, you're likely not to fare well. It's a gamble we take when we own and drive such a car. You do what you can to built it right, build it as safe as you can, and then drive defensively and reasonably. I have two Model A hot rods and I drive them often. I'm aware of the shortcomings and I hope I never have to eat these words, but if we're not willing to accept some compromised safety features then we all need to be driving new cars.

11. This is a "Picture Thread", back to posting Pictures. JW

12. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

OK...here's a recent picture of mine IMG_0149.JPG

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

None of it is required reading. Feel free to skip any post that offends you. Sorry if we posted in your private space.

14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

15. bobscogin

bobscogin

IMG_0211.jpeg
    I figured the safest place was between the frame rails under the bed. The filler neck is temporary until I get the bed wood finished.

Bob

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually I’m going to agree with JW on this one.
    This has been a long running enjoyable thread dealing with pictures of some really nice Roadster pickups.

It’s not private space or anything like that however it is and has been a thread devoted to pictures of the RPUs we love.

When it comes to safety of our cars,whether or not you feel it’s a concern you’re welcome to start a thread devoted to the discussion of it and the possible solutions.

But this is a picture thread.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just a few random shots of my 26 RPU
    70EF56EE-3C2E-4E30-BB4F-2B46F0F6C3BB.jpeg DDF08992-1D95-42DD-8C94-7C405FDFC8D3.jpeg 11E5D372-1C63-425A-BB7D-AD8AEE5FD760.jpeg

18. loudbang

loudbang

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. The Model A would later be Greg Sharp's hot rod.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  22. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Here's mine at a cars & coffee get together today. Gotta drive 'em. IMG_0348.JPG

23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. High test 63

High test 63

26. High test 63

High test 63

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. pecker head

pecker head

28. pecker head