Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving old decals Planet Jr.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by plym_46, Jun 27, 2020.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Pulled grandpa's planet Jr out of the barn after a 55 year nap. Trying to save the trade mark, brand and lube and maintenance decals. I did the gas tank with an old scuff pad and ATF. Satisfied with that but the tank ends still have the trademark decals in pretty good shape. I got them with some foaming glass cleaner and they brightened up some and the detail came back out. But I also want to moisturize them and put something on to protect them. I plan to do the ATF to the rest of the frame and body then give it a coat or two of boiled linseed oil. Or if you folks have had better luck with other stuff, I would like to hear your methods and products.

Any Planet if folks here?, This was purchased in 50 and used for about 8 years in a 2 acre truck garden. Trying to get it up and running going to build a sulky and take it to shows in my Studebaker truck.Went through the carb up draft, will be checking spark tomorrow and going for a start after installing a new plug.

tractorguy likes this.
  2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Guess I double posted. Mod can dump one.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  3. noboD

noboD

I've seen Planet Jrs. but not for a while. From HS I remember if you are going to use Linseed oil get the metal hot. We used it on our chisel we had to make. Put your frame out in the sun and let it heat up. It will absorb more of the oil. Actually gives a nice finish.

tractorguy likes this.
  4. MarcioD

MarcioD

Curious how to do that properly! Appreciate if you catch some photos or videos.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Be careful with the Linseed oil rags, Ryan posted a video of the fire. Think there is a Planet Jr. & Flexible Flyer sled connection. Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.