Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are 62 Galaxie 500 Parts in Demand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckythirteenagogo, Jun 27, 2020.

1. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

This is a question for the Ford guys. I found a pretty picked over 62 Galaxie 500 at a pick and pul this afternoon. It looks like it's been there awhile and there's not much left, but it still has good window trim, a decent grille and little things like window cranks and inside door handles.
    So my question is, are people looking for these parts? I'm not really into Fords, and would be getting these parts to sell. I don't expect a quick turnaround, but also don't want to end up with parts I can't give away either. I would price them to make a little money, but not to make a killing on. I more into trying to keep decent original parts in the hands of guys using them instead of in a car crusher.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob and F-ONE like this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1962 is my favorite Galaxie.

Is it a popular car? Yes.....Is it a icon like a pre-war Ford or Tri-Five Chevy?...No. It's not even as popular as a 63-64 Galaxie or the Impala of all those years.....

Yes, any good parts for any mainstream American car from 1962 are worth....something...to somebody.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll probably go back today and see what I can get off of it. I just know how hard it is to find some of the small original pieces, and how badly some of the aftermarket stuff fits. That's why I'm trying to save as much as I can.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob and warhorseracing like this.

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The center grille cross and fender ball ornaments are hard to find and often missing. Trunk trim, tailights and side trim if tudor are hard to find items. Stainless Rocker trim is a hard to find part but alas, it would be difficult to ship and store without damage.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

All the smalls are worth grabbing, trim, windows and mechanism, hinges all that stuff. Easy to store and will sell eventually.
    Body panels, up to you if you have space - harder to sell. Very clean body parts will move.

Take some water with ya. Ive been out in the shop 3 hours this morning and Im soaked.

6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

If the grille is nice that is the best piece to get especially for resale.

7. Gotta remember..1 year only too...

bobss396 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Post pictures of the carcass. Some of us may be able to point out what may be useful.

Squablow likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

This is good advice. Definitely a market for a lot of bits and pieces off of this car. Even steering columns and boxes, door and hood hinges, wiper motor, dash cluster, windshield garnish moldings and any interior moldings, seat tracks, stuff like that. It all sells. If I could suggest, put it all on eBay with a fair buy-it-now price plus shipping and let it be on there for as long as it takes to find a home. It'll all go eventually.

More of us need to be doing stuff like this. More and more parts are lost every year, old junkyards crush out and families of collectors dump shit into the trash because they don't want to mess with it. Everyone knows how great it is to find that one missing piece for your project, you might provide 100 of those pieces to grateful buyers. Don't feel bad about making some money for your time either, that's to be expected.

The best cars to part out are the ones that are popular enough to get restored but not popular enough to get everything reproduced, and '62 Galaxie is definitely one of those cars.

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Good for you trying to keep those parts out of the crusher. I’ve done that a few times when I saw something in the yards that I didn’t need but I wanted to save. The last one was a perfect ‘57 Ford truck grille. You may have to be creative in finding the market for the parts but it’s worth it if only for the good karma. A ‘62 Galaxie is on my bucket list for sure.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yes. I'm always on the lookout for better versions of the parts that are beat up from years of use on my wagon.

IMG_20200628_171207851_HDR.jpg

Elcohaulic, bobss396 and F-ONE like this.
  12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For some reason Oswald comes to mind when I see your wagon.

Elcohaulic and Malcolm like this.