Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I think I can fix that!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Hines, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Ya, I started out to build a Hot Rod and along the way I kind of fell in love with the things on this particular car that are so much of a time capsule. I just cant bring myself to change them. Like that "hand chiseled out of the doner car" roof with the old full radius screws holding it down. I agree, that single tail light really fits it, and I just like the wire wheels, I actually have a nice set of 50's period correct Ford disk wheels, but I like the wire wheels better. Were ever I go I find myself looking at the rusty old stuff. Not the shiny new stuff, or even the shiny old stuff. I don't think I have built a Rat Rod, but I would not be offended if someone thought it was. I say that because I have not done any of that on purpose stuff that rat rodders often include. I love shiny Hot Rods and real Rat Rods. To me this is something in between. When I look at pictures of cars built back in the day. I see a lot of variety. Many people did things many different ways. I claim to have done the same. I have used what I had and could find, and could afford. Each piece has a story behind it. I like telling people that I have very little "Speedway" on my car. The "cost per hour of entertainment" building this car is actually quite low compared to some cars I have modified. That is because so much of it is fabricated. I did not expect that. But then again I had no idea what I was getting into when I started.

rbrewer, Okie Pete, Cosmo49 and 9 others like this.
  2. 343w

343w

Doug Hines, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I know there's a big debate on "patina", and I don't want to hijack your thread by starting an argument here, but I really like your car. To me there is something honest about preserving the history of it.

atch, Doug Hines, hfh and 2 others like this.
  4. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks. That means a lot to me, as I really like your speedster thing. You also tend to make things instead of reaching for a catalog and your things come out so neat. I would love to build one like you have.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  5. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

So after a while I got tired of some of the gremlins in the car and decided I would rather take it back apart and fix them than drive it any more. I had been thinking I would hold off until it got cold, but nope I took it back apart. Here is the list of problems. 1. The old flathead I put in it was just shot. It has a low spot in one cylinder bore that is not going to be right until it gets bored and it was generating so much blow bye is was embarrassing. 2. The tranny would not go into 3ird gear without grinding. 3. The level of Mystery in the steering was concerning. So I pulled the engine/tranny and the steering column and went to work. I found the steering box to be in very very good shape, no problem there. Eventually I found the (cheap) heim joints I had used to be too loose. And I think I had the toe set out instead of in. I also put a different set of wheels on the front and I no longer have any tendency to want to shake at 35 mph. I ended up putting an original 1947 tie rod and ends on it. Now it drives real good.

hfh, Runnin shine, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Crap. I did not mean to hit enter, so I continue. I replaced a bad blocker ring in the tranny. Now it shifts great. And then about that engine. I had purchased a different engine, before I bought the running engine. I didi not know much about it other than the usual "it ran when it was parked" story. I put that engine on an engine stand and got it running and it is a better engine than the one I was using. So I stuck that engine in the car. Now I can run 65 MPH down the road and it does not feel like I am going to die. LOL I think this engine will work while I scrape and collect parts and eventually build a Hopped Up Flathead for it.

7. Mart

Mart

That's great. Fixin' what needs fixin' is the fun part of the job. You did it right. Put it together and identify what needs fixin'. Then fix it. I really like what you did with this build.
    Mart.

8. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

IMG_1488.JPG
    Thanks Mart!

9. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Doug, that model A rocks, so much character!

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic

I can’t wait to see this thing in person some day

Runnin shine, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

An easy fix LOL at least you didn't have to remove a bunch of sheet metal like fenders and hood to replace the engine and get at the steering :)

Thor1 likes this.
  12. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Since I installed the body and floor after installing the drive train, I was really glad to see the engine and transmission come out so easy. Also I am able to easily pull each header and pull the steering column. I was afraid some of that might give me trouble coming out.

Tim, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  13. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

That would be cool Tim.

14. Driver50x

Driver50x

I just found this thread. I’m going to read the whole thing when I have time. What an awesome car and an awesome story. This is what hot rod ding is all about.

Doug Hines, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  15. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this thread also. Wow, what a build! True old school rodding at its best.

Doug Hines, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Just read through. Great stor, great car!

17. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Man, you really nailed it Doug! We are definitely going to have to meet up, maybe this fall or spring after this covid crap. Hopefully the Leadsled will be a go in 21. I know you'll love that show.

18. manitouguy

manitouguy

Did you repaint your engine or was it dk blue to begin with?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

So when I 1st got the car rolling the engine I was running smoked a lot. I discovered during a head gasket repair that it had a low spot on at least one cylinder bore side wall. So it is never going to be good until it gets bored/rebuilt. I had another engine laying around that I did not know much about. I got it going and it is in the car now. Yes I painted this second engine. I like stuff looking old, but it looked really really bad. So now my engine kind of looks awfully new. Don't worry though. I am going to take it apart. I managed to re-torque all the head bolt, so the heads will come off. I am going to go through the valve train and get things a little tighter. It runs great, just a little clickety. I think I can have a pretty good engine with it without going to the machine shop, which is what my pocketbook says I need to do right now. I will also be ditching those 8RT heads for some 8AB heads I have.

Black Fifty, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

That would be great!

loudbang, Thor1 and Sonofabob like this.
  21. Apologies in advance, if it looks like I'm tryin to hijack this thread- I was admiring all of your work, and wondered if you could provide details on the left spindle/ round tube steering attachment -I'm trying to learn as much as I can- any assistance is appreciated- thanks for posting these cool photo's/updates!!

Attached Files:

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

looks like your standard bolt on aftermarket- or home made- steering arm.

loudbang, Thor1 and rbrewer like this.
  23. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Like Tim said. It is a standard purchased part. Here you go.
    Speedway Hoop Style Steering Arm, Ford Spindle

Universal Fit, 3.375" Center to Center, Steel, Zinc Plated, 7 degree Degree of Taper

24. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

The part between the pitman arm and the hoop style steering arm is made from the ends off of an F1 truck welded on the ends of a piece of pipe to lengthen it. I don't know what those type of adjustable tie rod ends are called. Someone will.

25. cool!! thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Now you are learning the value of using as many early Ford parts as you can in your build, not only are they superior quality but they work and give your Hot Rod character!!

loudbang and Outback like this.
  27. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Agreed! I have very few new parts on my car and I like getting rid of them very much.

Black Fifty, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. redoxide

redoxide

loved this build . Great little hot rod , Real heart wrencher that you kept Vincent in the loop. I think thats really important and one of the great things about the hobby among genuine enthusiasts is the comradery and connections that are made . Great build and well done .

I started a similar build around the same time and completed about the same time too. attached a couple of pics of mine just to show that although we are oceans apart, the similarities are strong . Its a real state of mind thing this hot rod hobby :)

IMG_9461.PNG IMG_6063.jpg

29. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I like it. Looks real old timey. Well done.

30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Man, I just went through this whole thread, so cool. Such a great story! Learning as you go, fixing shit twice(or more), doing it yourself and with friends. It just shows how much fun this hobby is. I really enjoyed the read and your car is fantastic! Thank you