Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cut to fit axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Had a bent axle on the ole 47 Ford coupe and ordered a cut to fit from Summitt,wore out about 5 blades to cut it with a Sawzall. Tried cutoff saw with a carbide blade, a portable bandsaw but it wasn't working . Anyway it is done and installed. Had a tough time finding correct lugs and then brake register was about 3/8 larger than old axle so I had to enlarge the brakedrum hole . Used a round file in a drill and a small drum sander on the drill measuring over and over and got a good snug fit and it was centered. Had my doubts that I would be able to enlarge this and keep it round , centered and snug but dang thing turned out well. If I had it to do over again, I would get an axle the correct length but all I found were going to be about mid July before I got them it seems .

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Post some pics of your work.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Metal cut off wheel in a right angle grinder would have make quick work of that. Clamp a radiator hose clamp on the axle as a guide to cut square...

Desoto291Hemi and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Will do tomorrow.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Some pintos had narrow rears, some used 28 spline 8" pigs.
    Find the right length axle and drill the flange to 5 hole...

6. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Good idea , did last night and didn't have a cut off wheel for my grinder , If I had it to do over , I would wait and get the cutoff wheel as you suggested.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Good idea and I bet the brKe register that the one I bought.Dang thing was 2 13/16 .

8. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Here are pics of the drum after I enlarged the hole fitted on the new axle and a pic of it after the cut on the old axle.you can see the gap where my finger points that shows how much I enlarged it.

Attached Files:

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

The Maverick 8" rear is actually a fraction narrower than the Pinto/Bobcat version.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

but the pinto wagons had 3.50 to 1 eight inch pigs... never seen them anywhere else...

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

What year Pinto wagon had an 8" rear ?

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't have a bunch of brake chatter from the drum not being centered you are probably good. The problem with the sawzall blades is that the heat treated splines on the axle are harder than the saw blade.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup.

14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Drum is centered stated in first post so no chatter. Yes on the sawzall blades, funny thing though , tried my cutoff saw with a carbide steel demon blade, sawzall with same carbide but ended up using thin kerf regular metal sawzall blades , that's why it took 5 .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's where the one in my coupster came from and I've got one in reserve. My housing came from an early 60's Fairlane. Skinniest axles I ever saw.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy just got an 8" fairlane rearend, complete, wanted to sell to me, i want 5 on 5.5"..

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The carbide inserts were probably dull (or chipped) as soon as you got through the splines on the initial cut, carbide does not play well with interrupted cuts at high speed.

18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thanks, I just recently bought this Steel demon blade, always had the ole aluminum oxide blades and thought this was going to be a major step up but so far it has not impressed me even on mild steel.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Sorry D, buddy's narrow fairlane rearend I PMed you about is a 9" ...

20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thank you but I wasn't looking for a rearend, thought you might have mistakenly sent that to me and ment to respond earlier,my apologies.

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

cool... was trying to help both... movin on, smitty

22. dwollam

dwollam

Pinto Crusin' Wagon with the port hole side window and a V6 had 8" rearend with 4 bolt wheels. Wagons made into panels more or less. I junked one out years ago, rear went to friend with a Studebaker with a MII frontend and Chevy V/8. That made wheel bolt patterns match. That's been 35 years and it is still in it.

Dave