Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving old decals Planet Jr.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by plym_46, Jun 27, 2020.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Working on my grandfather's Planet It walk behind garden tractor. The paint is showing it age but is holding up well. I went over the gas tank with a warn out scuff pad and ATF. The ends have trade mark decals that are dirty but complete. I want to save them so I just cleaned the with a bit of glass cleaner. They brightened up quit a bit but don't want to push my luck. So my goal is to clean, maybe moisturize and then protect.

The body of the machine also has trademarked labels and a maintenance and lubricating charts.

I plan on doing the ATF and scuffpad then coating with Boiled linseed oil. Can anybody suggest anything different for the decals or the whole thing if I am headed down the wrong path? Any other planet Jr. Fans? Will put up some pics tomorrow.

2. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

Look in Hobby Lobby in the charcoal sketch department.

Krylon made a spray fix to preserve a charcoal or pencil drawing. Leave a satin coat.

Also Krylon cristal clear. Leaves a more shiny finish.

Try it on some other object before committing your prized piece.

I worked as a technical illustrator ‘66 & ‘67. We used the above to preserve layout lines.

I spray fixed my SS card back then and it’s like a piece of plastic yet.

quick85 and 1morecarIpromise! like this.