Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Merc 2 door - Winging It

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jrblack30, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Well recently I was laid off, fun times. in my abundance of free time I was contacted by a friend about an abandoned 49 Merc project. A Merc has always been on my bucket list, actually in my top 5 that I wanted to build. After some horse trading I now own it. I am scared shit less, this is entirely new and uncharted territory for me, I usually run on the 30-36 coupe side of things.

So this is an abandoned project, probably because they totally F'd up the chop. and ran.

Now that I own it, looking for recommendations. Can ya help a brother out? need some basic ideas. Need thoughts on Motor trans options. What was common? what is easy? I do have an 8BA and a 49 Overdrive trans laying around, but that may be too easy. Other thoughts, I have access to a 427 BB and a 59 Cad 390. Also I been thinking of late 60's- 70 OLDS.

This is when I picked it up.

I have rear deck lid, hood, 2 sets of front fenders, All body trim, complete dash, window mechanisms, 2 sets of bumpers, complete 49 grille. head light buckets with trim, 2 sets of 49 tail lights. NO motor or transmission. NO interior or seats, I do have headliner bows.

upload_2020-6-16_11-43-45.png
    Floor and trunk are surprisingly solid for being a NY car. Needs a couple dollar bill size repairs in the floor corners and trunk areas. Needs inner and outer rockers, both sides. Quarter panel need typical patch panels.

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry that you were laid off but glad you are making the best of your spare time. Looks like a kool project. All problems can be fixed its only metal. The HAMB is a kool source if you run into a problem. Keep us posted.

3. Contact Slddnmatt. He'll steer you in the right direction...Or Voo Doo Larry, since you're on the east coast.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  4. williebill

williebill

Not sure they screwed up the chop, they just didn't finish it. Looks like they did the "easy" stuff and then stopped. I've done 2 Mercs, and if the rear window section didn't need doing, they'd all get chopped.
    Good luck!

loudbang likes this.

5. Too much enthusiasm, not enough talent/experience. They went hard on the chop, kinda relates to my first point.
    Sounds like you got a lot of parts in the deal, which is good. Time to study up on these 'new' cars. ;)
    At least there have been plenty of chops of these covered over the years, including right here on the HAMB.
    Might take a look here too:
    https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/forum/ccc/#.XulreGgzZPZ

6. Torchie

Torchie

Agree with williebill. They started but only got the top lowered. At least they didn’t screw up the rear window area from what can be seen.
    Good luck and have fun with it.
    Torchie

loudbang likes this.
  7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

You have a big project - Most of us can not do everything at once. Consider the flathead and 59 Overdrive transmission.

I had an off-topic diesel conversion. Built a small control panel under the hood - ON-OFF toggle switch, pilot light to remind me that the toggle switch was on, and a push button START switch. Took over a year to get all the details completed enough to drive it. Every week, I would start the engine for a few seconds - Kept the fuel system alive.

I recommend you do something similar. Run it for a few seconds every week to keep the gas in the carb from turning to silly putty. Once you get the cooling system hooked up, run it longer.

Get it yard drive able, then maybe get to the cruise night and ice cream run stage. It really helps the motivation.

The sweet sounds of a flathead is a great soul restorer.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks like a fun project. You should be able to find lots of threads on chopping Mercs here.

loudbang likes this.
  9. I live on the west coast of NEW YORK

loudbang likes this.
  10. Well, I was just making a suggestion cause you said you had questions. I wasn't suggesting a shop. I meant to put East coast....DER!

11. UPDATE So, Since I am completely lost in the Customs world, I took the Merc to a good friends house to help me put this lump back together. After 3 weeks, I will be bringing it home in a couple days. Here are a couple pictures of the chop put back together. Not quite a traditional chop, but it is back together. He had to make a lot of the panels as much of the material was lost in time.

Let me know what you think, 4-1/2 inches, more in the back.

Since these pictures he has been working on all the garnish moldings and rear windows.

upload_2020-6-22_21-2-30.png

upload_2020-6-22_21-3-13.png

upload_2020-6-22_21-3-57.png

OzMerc39, David Gersic, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  12. Looks like a good save from the rear.

13. BJR

BJR

Looks good to me.

14. 392

Nice start and ambition to save.

15. It looks like he did you a big favor. The hard work is done now.

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics of the problem(s) and how they were fixed would be great to see. That's a good friend!

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. Got word today the chop is done including all the garnish and window frames. Picking it up this weekend. I am excited to get it home and digging into and working on this project.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Sum54ford like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking good, excellent friend!

loudbang likes this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing grace come to mind. “You saved a poor wretch like me” with the scary slop chop now save the rest you can piece back together

loudbang likes this.
  20. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Your project has been saved, actually the chop was finished properly by a very good friend and fabricator. Rear window looks great too. You now have many options on drivetrain and interior, I was there a few years ago with mine too. I would suggest doing a little research regarding customs since you say you are lost in the customs world. Start by looking at Rik Hovings sites, you will learn a lot about what is traditional etc. and period correct for this special car. You must understand that you have what most consider to be the top car to build as a custom and you should feel very fortunate, many on the HAMB would love to have that car, even in the current state. Follow the rules of traditional customs and this will be another cool Merc on the streets!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Thanks everyone on the comments. I have brought this home and quickly realize I currently do not have the funds to proceed with this build. I have been laid off since March. Have you seen the prices for 49 Merc parts, I thought my 34 was an expensive project.
    The 49 Merc has been placed into storage, although I will continue to locate, source, and acquire parts when found and withing my diminishing budget.

I think I need to find a cheaper hobby!!

walterkowalsky, OzMerc39 and loudbang like this.