Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B & M Quicksilver C4 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jun 25, 2020.

1. 83FB5C0F-F8F5-4FD1-B266-569FE45B8867.jpeg 48ACEC52-7EFC-4956-86F3-57D4E0B94E61.jpeg 40915045-6B79-4FCE-A5A4-A2C6C02419F7.jpeg 8E643726-A61C-47FD-9318-976EA2AD7A5A.jpeg 22F3CAFF-C0C5-4055-AF58-3D3F4C975042.jpeg Ok...I’m getting very close to driving my Falcon....its been little problem after little problem and we’re on to next one..so I had my trans rebuilt with a combo valve body, shift kit, Kevlar bands...and I wanted to run a “ratchet” shifter to take advantage of that...well whatever I have connected for a shift linkage hookup looks way different from the B&M instructions....do I remove all of this? What goes in its place? I’m so bummed..I could have been breaking my motor in tomorrow night...please see pics and thanks for any help

GordonC and loudbang like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It says to remove and discard the neutral safety switch. With that removed you can install the B&M shift lever. As noted you may need to cut off the factory lever. you will then have to run your wires for neutral safety and backup light to the switches in the the new shifter.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Yes you basically have to saw the lever off so there is only a round nub sticking out of the transmission. There is a remote possibility you could use that lever if you can get all the detents to line up in the shifter. Most likely not. You will need to get another neutral switch probably for the shifter. I personally wouldn’t use that rachet shifter!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Yeah...tried that lever..a little long, wouldn’t hit all the gears...as far as the shifter..not a ton of options that don’t look to odd in the car.. I didn’t want a lever or a Pull up Style shifter...And I wanted something I could shift through the gears with...not a ton of options...unless ya got a top loader set up ya wanna give away..

loudbang likes this.

5. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Quicksilver shifters in a few cars. If you follow the instructions exactly it will work perfectly. The most recent is on a C4. You won't be able to use the factory neutral safety switch or shift lever.

JeffB2 and loudbang like this.
  6. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Take a whizzer wheel and cut that lever off. The new lever will be adjustable so you can line up the detents.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. I’m concerned about what’s left when I pull everything off there..

loudbang likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You unplug what is left and rewire it.

loudbang likes this.
  9. I’ll rip it off there tomorrow and see what I’m left with..I’m sure I’ll be looking for shorter bolts...that lever is much larger than what I’m seeing on their instructions..and that shaft also....even if I hack it off..this and bending some trans cooler lines are the last big things I gotta get done in order to break in my motor

loudbang likes this.
  10. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is your shifter new or second hand. If new in the box everything you need to install it is in the box.

loudbang and X38 like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a stick shift bellhousing you can have.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Brand new..

13. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0766.JPG Haven't done one on a C4 but they work great on T700's. I had the same issue trying to find something that didn't look out of place.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I've got a small-block toploader on the shelf if you're into it. :D Cheap, but not free.

Muttley, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

I have a B&M Pro stick that uses a slightly different setup, but it's for a c-6. One thing you have to be aware of is it's a universal shifter, so it has to fit gm, ford, chrysler. The problem is shifting into park from reverse. Fords have a short throw from reverse to park but gm's have a longer throw to engage park. What can happen is if you force it into the park detent on the shifter you bugger up the cable or your valvebody. To engage the park position your shifter will never hit the park detent.

Shifter on mine uses the oil pan to attach the bracket. Looks like yours uses 2 servo bolts.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Yep for the back...got that covered. It’s the shift lever I’m questioning. Hope it I pull it apart and I’m graced with a simple hook up. What I don’t get is if I pull all that of there, why wouldn’t I just pull that lever off and what’s there to bolt the B&M lever on to..I guess I’ll find out

loudbang likes this.
  17. Yeah I’m so far into this.. between converters, flex plates, I coulda have spent less I’m sure

Boryca and loudbang like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Once you pull the neutral safety switch off it will all make sense.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  19. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Can’t pull the lever off unless you drop the valve body and take the nut off. Remove the switch and whizzer wheel the lever off. You will leave the round portion that is close to the case.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Helps if you read the instructions a few times. They are self explanatory. I hooked up my C4 a few weeks ago and while it is not as simple as a Chevy T350 is is quite straight forward.

21. Ok...gonna give it a whirl tomorrow..learned learned...Next time I do this when the trans is out

loudbang and midroad like this.
  22. All good...thanks fellas..never messed with one of these before...a few more things to do and I’ll be breaking in the motor, and soon after that trying that shifter out..

23. Well...2 Different cuts from 2 different tool and it’s off and all hooked up and going through the gears...thanks for the help fellas

saltflats and loudbang like this.